Kradschutzen Motorcycle Combi Project - Advice Please

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Stefan1944

Kradschutzen Motorcycle Combi Project - Advice Please

Post by Stefan1944 »

Dear Kamerades
I've recently bought a 1957 Chang Jiang CJ750 OHV with RHS sidecar. Its UK registered with V5C in my name and is road legal as a 3 Wheel Tax Exempt Historic Vehicle. Luckily its already in a matt sand / Dunkel Gelb colour...
My winter project this year is to bring it up to German Wartime BMW R71 Krad re-enactment standard for next season's shows with my group and I'm now looking to buy the following:
MG34 sidecar mount / Steel Ammo Pannier boxes (x2) / Krad tactical insignia (WSS LAH Recon) & Tyre pressure stencils / Replica BMW R71 badges & frame ID plate, R71 grease point plate, Drilastic seat logos etc.../ Period BMW R71 Rear Light / WSS Number Plates etc...
I've checked usual internet classic bike suppliers including Oldtimer Garages, Metal Heart (Ebay) etc and am warming to Moto Boxer as good source for parts (http://moto-boxer.com)/...
Therefore, would appreciate any advice on moto-boxer.com and any other recommended suppliers. Also any hints, tips and suggestions for my BMW R71 Krad project please...
I'll also post some photos asap... :)
Last edited by Stefan1944 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEGRELLE

Re: Kradschutze Motorcycle Combi Project (CJ750) - Advice Pl

Post by DEGRELLE »

Hi try mh moto world on ebay he has all the parts you need and will combine the shipping costs I bought a lot of gear of him for two projects and had no issues with hin or his stuff shipping is around one week not bad from china .
pepperpot

Re: Kradschutze Motorcycle Combi Project (CJ750) - Advice Pl

Post by pepperpot »

Old Timers Garage in poland, dealing with this guy for nearly 5 years, if he hasnt got the item, normally he can find it and you dont have to pay additional charges from the USA. Do a goole search that brings up most of the suppliers and Stefan, if you german is good go on to EGUN, also German ebay,
regards,
graham
Stefan1944

Re: Kradschutzen Motorcycle Combi Project - Advice Pl

Post by Stefan1944 »

Hi Fellas, thanks for both your replies and advice.

I've had smaller items from MH (Ebay ) and Oldtimer Poland and agree with you that both have supplied really good products and service. I'm a little concerned about a potential £500 order to a non-EU supplier though as import duty / VAT would cost another £100 plus admin fees etc...

However, will check out both suppliers again as I believe both have upgraded their stock..

Thanks again for your advice and any more very welcome...
pepperpot

Re: Kradschutzen Motorcycle Combi Project - Advice Please

Post by pepperpot »

Stefan1944 wrote:Hi Fellas, thanks for both your replies and advice.

I've had smaller items from MH (Ebay ) and Oldtimer Poland and agree with you that both have supplied really good products and service. I'm a little concerned about a potential £500 order to a non-EU supplier though as import duty / VAT would cost another £100 plus admin fees etc...

However, will check out both suppliers again as I believe both have upgraded their stock..

Thanks again for your advice and any more very welcome...
Ive ordered from OTG and have never paid any extra to the tax man, where did you get this info from.
If you anything from the States, then you will pay import and vat irrespective of cost of said goods, my brother in law ordered some minature figures at about $20.00 for 2 and was told he had to pay £50.00, needless to say he declined. another mate ordered an engine complete for the 750 Depnr and only paid extra for delivery.
regards,
graham
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

Hi Graham, thanks for your comments.

Just to clear things up, my understanding is that anything bought within European Union, including Czech, Poland etc; will be deemed to already have VAT paid and be import duty free.

Anything bought outside of EU, including USA and China etc; is liable for VAT at 20%, which is the import duty I refer to. Goods will be held in UK bond and you will receive an invoice for the VAT, and usually an admin fee of about £10 to pay before release of goods.

However, you can get lucky and sometimes non-EU goods will get through without any import restrictions and VAT charges. It seems very hit & miss...

That's my limited import experience anyway....

Hope that helps....
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

I have used oldtimer a couple of times and to be honest i have not been impressed with his service or his parts compared to originals (this may not be too much of a problem if its used on a CJ) in fact my mate ordered over 3 thounsand pounds worth of parts from him last month to collect last weekend at mannheim and he hadnt bothered to bring about 1500 euros worth of parts?

So you get what you pay for the metal panniers are not right compared to originals there are better more expensive examples (from the dreaded harvey in uk these are the best available and he has some in stock but good luck with that lol)

http://www.omega-oldtimer.de/shop/bmw/i ... 1&lang=DEU

Omega oldtimer are good and supply good quality parts

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p ... &_from=R40

German ebay has all the same parts from the same old polish places!

Failing that you missed the best place to go and get it all in one go last weekend in Mannheim at veterama http://www.veterama.de/de/home

I was there and got an original working wartime speedo for my R12 for 120 euros not bad!

PM me if you need any other help

Cheers Kitkat
Stefan1944

Re: Kradschutzen Project - Leather Panniers

Post by Stefan1944 »

Hi Kitkat

Many thanks for your advice and info which is much appreciated...

I'm warming to leather panniers as most contemporary wartime photos appear to show BMW R71 with these rather than steel...

However, seems like Oldtimer Garage in Poland has a near monopoly on leather panniers with 3 sets available ranging between 99 - 140 Euro:

http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=3126
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=2176

Any comments or advice on these items and general wehrmacht wartime leather pannier use and historical accuracy would be appreciated.... :roll:
daveydachs

Post by daveydachs »

The correct footpegs are available here...... :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEATH-HEAD-HO ... 4608fd243e
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

Wow, impressive... must get a set.... :lol:

Return to “Vehicles”