Buying an Ural M-72/BMW R-71 motorcycle sidecar combination

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Topfmine

Buying an Ural M-72/BMW R-71 motorcycle sidecar combination

Post by Topfmine »

I have been thinking about buying a early pre-1959 Ural M-72 as its the closest match to a BMW R-71 apart from a few alterations here and there. I have been offered and have seen quite a few Ural deniper bikes out there but most I have seen disappointedly have a swinging arm frame, large hubs, normal clutch and brake levers and other bits that would have to be changed to be Germanised, plus most of these bikes are post 1981 machines that couldn't be registered on the road as they fall foul of the side car being on the wrong side being built past 1981. A pre 1981 manufactured model with a continental sidecar can be registered. I have a bike licence and used to work in the bike trade and know that these bikes are troublesome and need attention, wold like to own an original German classic but I am not rich enough, same old story.
I had an interesting chat with two Guys at Mapledurham who were with GD Recon, one of the guys was called Olly who had the perfect bike an early M-72 I have been looking for which he bought from Poland. Another guy who was there, (cant recall his name, sorry) gave me some useful information on were to find such bikes. I would like to find out more on how to buy a bike from Poland or around those countries, what pitfalls there are, what to watch out for etc. Would it be best to take a Polish speaking person along with you, that would seem obvious.Would it be best to see the bike, try it out, buy it and load it on a trailer and head for home, as you would here. Is there a company that can buy the bike on your behalf and ship it back at a fee. Or would it be best to get help from someone who has done this on a regular basis. Can anyone enlighten me to how you deal with overseas buying such bikes, hints and tips please.
pepperpot

Re: Buying an Ural M-72/BMW R-71 motorcycle sidecar combinat

Post by pepperpot »

contact "old timers garage" in Poland by email
been emailing him this last week about and mg34 bike mount
graham
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Topfmine

Post by Topfmine »

Has anyone been helped out buying a bike or motorcycle combination with the help of Old timers garage.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

no but that's where I get my spares for my k750
regards,
graham
Topfmine

Post by Topfmine »

Looks like they would be a good start thanks, if anyone else has any tips of the above then let me know.
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

Personally I wouldn't lose too much sleep worryinga bout hte later models looking wrong, the ones with the 'correct' frame are also totally wrong. Then you look at the converted ones that all have an MG mount and compare oit to how many actualyl had an MG mounted, or farby impressions people can't even get right with the kit they are wearing, and you will wonder why you spent a small fortune trying to make what you have look as original as possible.

The bikes themselves can be troublesome, but in the main htey are ok once you get used to how an individual bike runs and wants to start etc - each one is completely different to the next. The side valve engines have manual adjustment for the ignition timing and the air fuel misture is adjusted by the air choke nex tto the air filter that is completely wrong, so you need to take a step back in time a bit to ride them, but its something you get used to quickly once you rid eit around for more than ten minutes.

One thing you find is that they have their own sense of direction, mine is set up to ride in a straight line with just me on it, add anyone to the side car and it turns right, pillion passenger and it turns left, both and its all over the place!!!

I woudl say you need to forget/unlearn Japoanese modern engineering and accept that a whinning gridny noise liek a bearing breaking up is to be considered normal, fix things with a hammer, prepare to be eternally oily and smelling of petrol and you can't go far wrong. I know a chap in Poland that has several bikes I can put you in touch if you like

Matt
Frontschweine, Regiment 409

Return to “Vehicles”