Czech LT vz. 35 aka Mörsezugmittel 35(t)

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

West-Front

Czech LT vz. 35 aka Mörsezugmittel 35(t)

Post by West-Front »

According to the article below (in Czech), The US DoD has decided to meet wishes of the Czech historians and return the LT vz. 35 aka Pz.Kpfw 35(t) tank from Aberdeen museum collection back to their hands. This machine is one of only four preserved worldwide (other three are in Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria). It's also the only one still in the condition that allows full restoration (in particular it still has original engine) as planned by the Czech side.

LT vz. 35 is of Czech origin and about two-three hundred of them have been used by Wehrmacht (6th Panzer Division) after the occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1939. This particular machine had somehow managed to survive the war and was captured by the Americans at its end. When it arrives back to the Czech Republic it will be on display in the Army Museum in Prague till spring 2009. After that it will be towed to Military Technical Museum in Lesany for a recostruction which should take about 2 years. At the end it will be restored in its original running condition (likely in pre-war Czech army markings).

Although the text is in Czech (there really is not much beyond the summary above), there is also a bunch of very interesting pictures: here, here and here.

It is also worthy to note that although the common practice is to exchange artifacts like this, US returns this priceless machine free of charge.
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... 722&page=1
Build number 10112, see the picture here: http://www.rozhlas.cz/_obraze...88953.jpeg
Produced by CKD Prague
Original Czechoslovak military registration: 13.962 (white on black)
Delivered to CZ Army in 1937, after occupation this vehicle minus its turret continued in service with German Wehrmacht as a Mörsezugmittel 35(t)...

After some non specified damage this vehicle was sent to Skoda Pilsen for repair and remained there till the liberation of Czechoslovakia.
After liberation this vehicle was equipped with turret and repaired on request of US HQ and shipped to USA for tests of pneumatic steering system...
Attachments
JW25ea6b_DSC08086.jpg
JW25ea6b_DSC08086.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Tychsen

Re: Czech LT vz. 35 aka Mörsezugmittel 35(t)

Post by Tychsen »

A good move by Aberdeen. :)
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

beautifully painted :D
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Any hope they will return the German armour to Germany ?????? Would be great to see it back where it belongs.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Any hope they will return the German armour to Germany ?????? Would be great to see it back where it belongs.

You just need to go to the Panzer Museum in Munster, Germany...most of their vehicles are in running condition:

http://www.panzermuseum.com/

Panzers vor!
Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Heeresbergfuhrer , yes I have been to Munster many times .I have also been to Sinsheim and Koblenz where they also have running vehicles .Would be great to see a Tiger 1 running in Germany again.

re-enactment group
von bock

Post by von bock »

As always Cam great links make the czech armour always interested me. 38t was one of my favs :mrgreen:
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/
HGKanonier

Post by HGKanonier »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Any hope they will return the German armour to Germany ?????? Would be great to see it back where it belongs.
Hey man! We won that stuff fair and square!

Bah, it will actually get better treatment than they have received at APG in the last 60yrs. I used to go there and look at all of them. Seen the progressive deterioration. Sad.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi HGKanonier , what ever about the " fair and square " bit , I too have been to APG about 10 years ago and it was sad to see the condition of the German armour on display . While the collection there is super , it is slowly rusting away .Please give it to people who will look after it , I have a large shed that will take a Panther , ha ha .

re-enactment group

Return to “Vehicles”