Sdkfz 250 question

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

RudyWerner

Sdkfz 250 question

Post by RudyWerner »

On the 2Alte" 250s, could the MG42 be usedin the front MG mount/sheild in place of the MG34? I have seen photos of the "neu" 250 with the 42 fitted, just wondered if the same could be done with the alte version.
Thanks.
Franz repper

Re: Sdkfz 250 question

Post by Franz repper »

RudyWerner wrote:On the 2Alte" 250s, could the MG42 be usedin the front MG mount/sheild in place of the MG34? I have seen photos of the "neu" 250 with the 42 fitted, just wondered if the same could be done with the alte version.
Thanks.
I would think yes but you would have to change the mount to fit the 42
ImageImageImageImageImage
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Franz repper wrote:
RudyWerner wrote:On the 2Alte" 250s, could the MG42 be usedin the front MG mount/sheild in place of the MG34? I have seen photos of the "neu" 250 with the 42 fitted, just wondered if the same could be done with the alte version.
Thanks.
I would think yes but you would have to change the mount to fit the 42
So would the sheild be the same? I am guessing it would just be the bracketry behind thats different? Its only for a model but want to try get it right.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I have been looking for photo not found any yet will keep looking
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kurt Volkmar

Post by Kurt Volkmar »

I can't say as I've seen any pictures depicting the 'Alt' that has been retro fitted with a '42' Danny. It would mean changing the entire shield bracket system over which in the field I can't see being done really. For the later 'Neu' models, I would imagine it being a factory fitted part that changed during production to allow an MG42 to be mount instead of a 34. I doubt that someone in the field would mess about hacking up a gun shield so he could mount a 42 instead. Of course one could have been cannibalised from a 'Neu' over to a 'Alte' as I bet the shield mount itself still fit's to the hull using the same method. But I'd stick with a 34 and play safe mate.
Unterwachtmeister. Volker Kempf - Pz.Aufkl.Abt.Großdeutschland

Kurt Volkmar

Post by Kurt Volkmar »

Yep just checked two pictures I have in some of my reference books and the whole bracket assembly is totally different to mount either a 34 or 42, and I don't just mean the MG clip part, even the support arm that the weapon rests on is totally different and so to is the support structure behind the shield, totally different.
But from what I can tell the point to which the shield fixes to the hull superstructure is the same, so I reckon the whole shield unit can be removed and a later 42 mount model installed.
However I still don't think these sorts of conversions happened much, if at all. The gun mount is factory made, the 'Alt' version being fitted with the 34 as a standard armament. Then at some point, we have a change over in production to the 'Neu' model and these to being fitted at some point in early production with the 42 gun mount?

RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Thanks Kurt. That would seem to fit with what Dragon offer. The "Alte" was phased out in (IIRC) september 1943, when the Neu took over. So this was almost a whole year when the alte was being fitted with a gun mount for a superceded wepon. As I am intending to model an alte at the battle of kursk, by which time the vehicle itself would be upwards of six months old, I guess a mix and match of kit would be appropriate. I may well fit the 34 in the gun sheild, and have a 42 stowed away inside. Sadly there is very little room inside a 250 so not much space for stowage, and they lacked side lockers like the Neu had.

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I would go very far to rebuild for a 42 instead of a 34
mario33

Post by mario33 »

RudyWerner wrote:So this was almost a whole year when the alte was being fitted with a gun mount for a superceded wepon.
Not really superceded as MG34 was still produced and used extensively right up to 1945. It was lighter and a little less hungry for ammo. No need to change mounts as lots of MG34 were still available.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Kurt Volkmar

Post by Kurt Volkmar »

Yes I agree, vehicles were still being fitted with 34's right up till the end of the war, production never stopped for the 34. And I have noted as a side note, that with the 251's [most model types] were having 42's mounted on the rear mount over the back door and a 34 up front.

RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Kurt Volkmar wrote:Yes I agree, vehicles were still being fitted with 34's right up till the end of the war, production never stopped for the 34. And I have noted as a side note, that with the 251's [most model types] were having 42's mounted on the rear mount over the back door and a 34 up front.
Thats a good point actually, I wonder why they did it that way, have the 42 up the back I mean.
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

mario33 wrote:
RudyWerner wrote:So this was almost a whole year when the alte was being fitted with a gun mount for a superceded wepon.
Not really superceded as MG34 was still produced and used extensively right up to 1945. It was lighter and a little less hungry for ammo. No need to change mounts as lots of MG34 were still available.
Fair enough then. I (mistakenly it seems) thought they only remained in production for tank ball mounts.
GD,obergrenadier

Post by GD,obergrenadier »

Thought I'd toss my zwie pfennigs in, to start with the 34 is acually a pound heavier than the 42, also the rpm might be lower than the 42 its still an ammo hog (can you imagine paying for the ammo :shock: :shock: BRAAAAAP ,ooops thats next weeks paycheck) as for mounts,although you gentlman are correct in that they are not interchangable(different locking tabs etc) the weapon mounted on the spw was subject to availability if no 34s where available then 42s and there respective mounts would be swapped on etc, however to be fair this does not look to be a common practice,unless destroyed or damaged beyond servicability the mounts appear to be what the factory put on them when new. and to answer an interesting question, the rear mount weapon, I personally think the weapon belonged to the gruppen (This applies to the 251 series 1 spws only)that was assighned to the vehicle (most pictures show the rear mount emty) when the gruppen mounted up for a convoy run the mg man would mount up his weapon to the rear mount providing additional firepower against Jabos( I came to this conclusion after studying boatloads of pictures, and reserching the 251 and realizing that other than the rear swivel there are no storage brackets mounted internaly for the weapon thus no way to carry it when not mounted on the rear mount,hence the infantry angle. just my thoughts on the matter.
GR916/15/14

Post by GR916/15/14 »

Hi all :) ,

You could have a look in one of the books :idea: ...

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi

All the best :D ,
Nathan
Panzer Füsilier Regiment Großdeutschland
http://www.germansoldier.co.uk
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

i have these books both were used on both :wink:

Return to “Vehicles”