Hiki DAK gear?

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Panzer Wittman

Hiki DAK gear?

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Hey guys.
Like many ss reenactors I'm looking to put a wh uniform together too for occasional use and want to go for DAK.
My CO has recomended hiki tunics. I know underwood does very nice tunics but has anyone in the DAK community bought one of these hiki ones and if so what's your opinion? They're very cheap (which does make me wary) and I dont mind paying more for RAU's items, but if they genuinely are good quality then all the better.
Many thanks if anyone can help.
The hiki link is http://hikishop.net/wwii-german-dak-fie ... p-353.html
Schäfer

Re: Hiki DAK gear?

Post by Schäfer »

I bought a Hiki DAK M38 side cap about a year ago.

The advert stated to ask for a specific coloured soutache (and giving a list of them) which I did - Aufklarungs golden yellow, but a cap arrived with a PZ pink soutache. When I informed Hiki of their mistake and asked how the problem was going to be resolved they then just blanked all my messages!

The cap was quite cheap, rubbish quality, actually, but thankfully it only cost about £10. Anyway, I washed it several times and it's now passable for a front-line, washed out, worn in the desert type look.

I can't comment on their tunics but I have one from Richard and it's top quality. I also have one from ANTZ, along with a set of britches and it's probably the best quality DAK tunic I've ever owned (I've bought about 5-6, previously.)
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

I picked up a A-frame off hiki, and its pretty good. sorry i don't know what his dak tunics are like tho'. some of the new smocks in thicker poplin, coming out of china are great quality for the price. just my 2 cents worth. :lol:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. wrote:some of the new smocks in thicker poplin, coming out of china are great quality for the price. just my 2 cents worth.
Got any links to these 'quality' chinese smocks? I've yet to see one with an acceptable print?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

They don't want to be thicker poplin - they want to be duck.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

If you don't mind paying more for RAU product, then surely it's a no-brainer :D

If your question is whether the HiKi stuff is as good as Richards', the answer seems to be "no".
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Schäfer wrote:I bought a Hiki M38 side cap about a year ago.

The advert stated to ask for a specific coloured soutache, and giving a list of them, which I did (Aufklarungs golden yellow) but a cap arrived with a PZ pink soutache. When I informed Hiki of their mistake and asked how the problem was going to be solved they then just blanked all my messages!

The cap was quite cheap, rubbish quality, actually, but it only cost about £10. Anyway, I washed it several times and it's now passable for a front-line, washed out, worn in the desert type look.

I can't comment on their tunics but I have one from Richard and it's top quality. I also have one from ANTZ and it's probably the best quality DAK tunic I've ever owned, along with a set of ANTZ britches.
Snap!!! I recently ordered a DAK sidecap from Hiki - requested Artillery Red soutache - and guess what arrived - yep, Panzer pink...!! :lol: When I had a moan, he said he'd send a replacement (I thought he meant replacement sidecap), but he actually sent me a piece of red soutache. :lol: :lol:

That mild disaster aside I've found some of Hiki's stuff okay (for the price), but it's more luck than judgement...

Likewise I've got a RAU DAK tunic - can't beat it....
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Jagdpanther wrote:
You're sorted then for June :lol:
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
Jagdpanther wrote:
You're sorted then for June :lol:
Yep - I would be - but currently, it doesn't look like I will get there this year... :(
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

His stuff does seem to improve over time, his japanese kit for example has become some of the best around, and cheaper than everyone else. Can't comment on his german kit though but over time any problems may be resolved
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''
charles wuester

Post by charles wuester »

in my experence dont deal with him the stuff i got was crap and he wouldnt take back or even answer email.
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

Has anyone purchased any of Hiki's web DAK equipment straps? The photos look pretty decent. Although I feel the color a bit yellow, the weave and hardware look good. There doesn't seem to be any good web repro suppliers.
Any ideas?

Jim
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Thanks for all the replies mien herren.
I'll take it onboard and if we do go for hiki I'll let u know what we find, but with the general theme of the posts I think rau will be a much safer bet.
Feld Kuche

Post by Feld Kuche »

You're right, the colour of the Hiki DAK straps is too yellow for my money and the weave loose by comparison to original items. With a bit of aging, they can become presentable. The hardware is good and compared to the competition in this area and face it there's none, they're a good alternative for the time being.
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

Stigroadie wrote:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. wrote:some of the new smocks in thicker poplin, coming out of china are great quality for the price. just my 2 cents worth.
Got any links to these 'quality' chinese smocks? I've yet to see one with an acceptable print?
Here you go Stig :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

only 37GBP.
Attachments
palm smock and camo caps.JPG
palm smock and camo caps.JPG (152.73 KiB) Viewed 12019 times
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”