Tropical uniforms used elsewhere?

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Krupp

Tropical uniforms used elsewhere?

Post by Krupp »

Okay, I have a Lost Battalions Tropical uniform and it has the eagle and litzen already sew on. Time saved, I think! Anyway, if a soldat fought in places that the tropical uniform was used other than Afrika, were the eagle and litzen the same color as the ones used by the Soldaten who fought in DAK (The yellow color)? Say if I were in Greece or Russia, would it all be the same no matter where I was but wearing my issued tropical uniform (Not Reed-Green HBT)?

My second and most enjoyable Impression is that of a N. African either fighting in the Sonderverband 287 or Deutsche Arabische 845 (Free Arabia). All wore the same tropical uniform that was issued to the Sonderverband 288, DAK as well as the Free India Legion.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Danke.
Krupp

Re: Tropical uniforms used elsewhere?

Post by Krupp »

Either I ask stupid questions or I stumped you guys.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Not a chance, in the images just released by the bundes archive are a series that they list as France that shows a guy in tropical tunic and bleached out cap. A 21st vet in normandy?
There are lots of pictures of tropical kit in Italy. Some insignia was in short supply in Africa, you find original tunics with all kinds of stuff sewn on. Shoulderboards were often hard to find so the regular green or field grey were worn.
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

I looked over there and couldn't find that France series. I did find some new Freies Arabien pictures that I never saw. I even saw a few of them in Luft. Tropical uniforms. WOW! There is a ton of pictures to deal with over there so I'll keep looking. Thanks for the reply Stig.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

When we portray our own 100 GJR in Italy 1944, we still use 'tropical' tunics with various litzen on - orange tropical, green gebirgs, grey einheits. It was so late in the war, anything they could put their hands on was used.

Will try to look through some piccies i have at home and let you know if I find something.

Mind you, Brandenburgers and ZBV units used other branch of services' uniforms/insignia almost at will for their special tasks.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

cckw-353

Post by cckw-353 »

...there was a very interesting thread in the WAF a while ago...about German troops retreating through the now Czech Republic right after VE day. You can see a lot of tropical uniforms being worn and also lots of Leibermuster! I think I read that there was a factory that made tropical stuff in Bohemia and that the stock was handed out to the retreating troops...

cheers
Uwe
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

"Panzers in Normandy" published back in the early 80's photo of NCO/ Officer from 21st Panzer wearing tropical jacked and cap many veterans retained tropical uniform and although it was deemed "unofficial" wore it.
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Krupp wrote:Anyway, if a soldat fought in places that the tropical uniform was used other than Afrika, were the eagle and litzen the same color as the ones used by the Soldaten who fought in DAK (The yellow color)? Say if I were in Greece or Russia, would it all be the same no matter where I was but wearing my issued tropical uniform (Not Reed-Green HBT)?

Grüß Di' Krupp,

Normally, tropical uniforms had tropical eagles and litzen sewn on them at the factory and were issued to soldiers that way. Other insignia like shoulderboards, specialty badges, etc. were added on by the soldier. Sometimes upgraded insignia like continental (green backed) eagles, litzen and others were added to give the tunic a smarter appearance...this was usually done by NCO's and Officers.

Horrido!
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Hoover

Post by Hoover »

There are a lot of proofs for tropicals being used in southern Russia, the Balkans and even during the last days of the war by Volkssturm units.

Not the norm, but it happened.
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

Tropical Uniforms were used heavily in Italy by the unit I reenact, the 3. Panzergrenadier Div.

For summer events, we generally do Italy, so we wear the tropicals.
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I have a picture of a POW in the UK with a tropical cap. That's somewhere other than Africa.
Not a tunic and not combat though.
Hoover

Post by Hoover »

These German officers surrendered in Bremerhaven in May 1945. Nice mix of troical and continental uniforms.
We still don´t know where these officers came from.
guldan

Post by guldan »

Sorry about the quality, captioned as Garrison troops in France 1944, 2 in HBT but with the pith helmet!
From Uniforms & tratioms of the german army vol 3.
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (120.28 KiB) Viewed 10844 times
Hoover

Post by Hoover »

The center man carries a Berthier M16 Carbine. Nice. Maybe 2nd line units or occupation troops.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

In the book 'It never Snows in September' all about the German view point on Operation Market Garden there is mention of a group of Germans thrown into the line early in the battle still wearing thier tropical kit. They were obviously hastily gatherd together and thrown into the battle with one of the Kampfengroups to try and block the Allied advance. Can't remember the unit but I will see if I can find it and get more detail.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”