Kriegsmarine uniform questions

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Zoepf

Kriegsmarine uniform questions

Post by Zoepf »

Hello all,

I am looking for information regarding Kriegsmarine uniforms. Always kind of thought it'd be neat to have a Kriegsmarine impression, and I am working on putting one together. Now, after the basic research I've done, it seems the closest uniforms available are that of the post war East German Navy, which are also the only German sailor uniforms available. It appears to me that East German pea-coats are of a lighter blue, than those worn by the Kriegsmarine. Is that true, or are they the same?

Does anyone know a good source for trousers, or any type of rank insignia. I have been looking for rank insignia for some time to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Franz repper

Re: Kriegsmarine uniform questions

Post by Franz repper »

These chaps could help you I think http://www.theuboatsociety.com/
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Bonjour Matelot - sorry couldnt resist the pun!! :oops:

It rather depends on what rank you want to depict, the Kriegsmarine and the Grey Funnel Line are actually very similar. If you intend to portray an officer then a good Gieves and Hawks circa 1950's will do very well and they do come up at fairs such as Stonleigh and Beltring, the cut of the jacket is just right. You have to be careful about the buttons of which there are four each side that do up then two each side which do not fasten and are set slightly outside the others giving a flared apperance, there are also two that sit underneath the nick of each lapel, Kriegsmarine buttons are gold with an anchor (dear god I have become a button anorack). Nicholas Morigi does by far the best insignia and if you contact Richard Underwood I think he still deals with Morigi. As for caps James Brown Extra Klasse is yer only man his caps are Janke and the very best but expensive £170ish
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

Thanks for the response guys, I am actually looking into doing a Matrosen, or Seaman's impression.. If that helps at all?
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

It should not be too much of a problem the basic uniforms KM & RN are very similar, I would be surprised if you could not find somthing at Stoneleigh next month. The cap is is the dificult one but I am sure that Richard Underwood or James Brown would be able to help.

ImageImage
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

The U-Boat Society has found a number of outlets and dealers that will suit your needs, and pocket. Please drop us a line if you need any help, or click on my banner below for further info.

Epic sell the most suitable lower ranking matrosen uniforms and they do a good line in insignia and trade badges (but you have to know which one is suitable for your decided impression.) Kriegsmarine insignia is a potential minefield.

Matrosen hats can be purchased from Fundoms or Dishmop, but you must take off the silk diamond cockade that comes with those. You have to replace it with the all-in-one metal KM eagle and cockade from Morigi, instead.

Best wishes,

Kevin.

PS Not wanting to contradict anyone here, but there are a lot of subtle, and not so subtle, differences between the KM and RN uniforms, particularly so with the lower ranks. You have to be very careful indeed with what you buy.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Epic Militaria have some KM gear :wink:

Pipes
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Peiper wrote:Epic Militaria have some KM gear :wink:

Pipes
Probably found in Kevins link
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

To illustrate my point, here is a photo from our Christmas function last Saturday evening:-

'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Kevin could you do a names to facies type thing and explain who is what eg Captin ,Enginer thanks
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Franz repper wrote:Kevin could you do a names to facies type thing and explain who is what eg Captin ,Enginer thanks
Certainly, Franz.

the following can be seen in this particular photograph.

Front row, seated L-R: Oberleutnant-zur-See, Vize-Admiral (with white evening jacket), Kapitan-Leutnant-zur-See.

Officers are normally denoted by the amount and type of rings on their cuffs and a peaked cap with a felt peak and gold scallop around the peak. Trade/profession is also denoted by the type of insignia above cuffs, i.e. 5 pointed star for line officer, or cogwheel for engineering officer.

Lower ranks, standing L-R:

Oberbootsmaat/leading bosun's mate (wearing pea jacket, rank denoted by gold tresse on collar and collar patches, 'fouled anchor' insignia incorporating a chevron on left sleeve.)

Dieselmaschinistmaat/engineering mate (wearing matrose shirt, cog through anchor insignia on left sleeve)

Matrose/lowest ranking general seaman (wearing 5 pointed star on left sleeve but wears the white cord attached to a bosun's whistle of a bootsmanner/bosun trade.)

Matrose (a torpedo through a cogwheel, for torpedo crew, on left sleeve.)

Matrose (same as before - 5 pointed star, but wearing white summer uniform.)

Matrose (5 pointed star, wearing parade jacket or Apfenjacke.)

Obersteuermann/Senior helmsmann NCO (wearing reefer jacket and leather peaked cap) rank is denoted by two silver pips and gold tresse on the epaulettes, and appropriate metallic trade insignia inbetween the pips (in Ted's case here crossed anchors for Steuermann/helmsman navigator trade.)

The intermediate rank between NCO and officer is Fahnrich-zur-See or Oberfahnrich-zur-See (officer/senior officer cadet/midshipman) which isn't in the photo.

Fahnrichs retain the leather peaked NCO cap, but they have a half-width silver cord officer's epaulette on each shoulder (with 2 silver pips for Oberfahnrich) and a 5 pointed star, cogwheel or appropriate trade motif on the cuffs. No cuff rings would be present at this stage until they reach Leutnant rank.

I could go into much more detail with regard to rank insignia and trades, etc, but I've tried to keep it simple.

I hope the above makes sense?

Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

Fantastic replies, thanks guys.

Are Volksmarine caps convertable to Kriegsmarine?

And where'd that lad find an Affenrock??
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I think the affenrock in the picture is an original,another member of the UBS had one made by the Sutlers store in the uk,who normally make american civil war uniforms( :evil: they have a large stock of Yankee blue)but you have to supply your own buttons and insignia.Another member had a 'pea' jacket made.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Zoepf wrote:Fantastic replies, thanks guys.

Are Volksmarine caps convertable to Kriegsmarine?

And where'd that lad find an Affenrock??
Volksmarine caps are totally the wrong shape, you're better off buying one fron one of the outlets above.

The Apfenjacke in the pic is an original. However, as Brigadefuhrer stated, another member did have one made and excellent it is, too.

The later volksmarine pea jackets are all wrong as they are too light in colour and have a polyester/man-made fibre mix in the material. The early Volksmarine ones are best and nearer to the originals and made of heavy duty wool, or the Sutler option is another good one. SOF have a number of their own pea jackets in stock but the lapels are a little too narrow on which to sew the light blue collar patches, unfortunately. On the positive side they do have original KM buttons sewn on, however.

I have supplied Replicaters with photos and a pattern for KM originals, but for some reason he keeps on making them to USN spec, which is all wrong.

Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

Gowen Militaria and Trident both carry an East German Pea Coat, are they the late pattern and too lightly colored?

Return to “Kriegsmarine”