Thinking of U Boats and design concepts for optical sets.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Tychsen

Re: Thinking of U Boats and design concepts for optical sets.

Post by Tychsen »

Similar to the set Cam showed earlier a decent set of late war 7x50 leitz .
Optically not good quality , our own Bar and Stroud were better. Very collectible in this condition with the rubber capos in good order.
This set was bought more for display than use , in the past I have owned four of this type, I got this set at reasonable money I have seen them go for half as much again - and when you read the sales blurb some dealers put up you have to wonder who they think they are kidding and where the hell they get it all from.
In terms of design this set allows the rubber caps to be held open away from the body of the binocular - in bright conditions this set is quite good in dull low light conditions I don't rate them as being too good.
Dedicators under the top caps the focus can be "locked " in place by the top caps - the Zeiss UBootglas is a far superior binocular.
Attachments
DSCF7323.JPG
DSCF7323.JPG (82.37 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
DSCF7319.JPG
DSCF7319.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
DSCF7320.JPG
DSCF7320.JPG (127.08 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

A contrast to the above set.
An early war circa 1940 set by leitz , uncoated lens , a bakalite and rubber coated eye cup.
Fully marked with the leitz kriegsmarine eagle and swastika , dirty and dusty inside but I may just leave these ones as they are.
This represents the first model by leitz taken up for naval use - a total contrast to the set shown above.

You might look at these and think , they don't look like much but don't judge the book by its cover in terms of development this is the starting point.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Have just looked over his thread , 4000 plus hits on it and quite a bit of information in it, I have seen it linked to on several collector sites dealing with Kriegsmarine and optical related items.
This brings quite a few folks to look at Pst.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=8335
Another one from cam Finlay with 4000 plus hits.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://alifrafikkhan.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -oleh.html

Cam Finlay found this link......... seems the info here was useful to someone !

With reference to the above set , the eye cup repairs are not period and they will be replace when the set is serviced and cleaned in the New year.
wdrob

Post by wdrob »

Excellent topic. With regret I only do Royal Navy, but as our present to the then very new U-boat crew in Beltring, handed over in the beer tent, shows, we are interested in our German counterpart.

A question not on the subject of binoculars, so slightly off-topic: In the very first two pictures a leather coat is worn: has anyone got any photographs of both that and the leather trousers? I have a pair of leather trousers that could be U-boat crew. And would both the coat and the trousers be in a darkish brown?

thanks,

Rob
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Rob , to the best of my knowledge the deck coats usually grey for "up top" and black for the engine room / engineers as far as I can recall.
Panzerrob

Post by Panzerrob »

Tychsen wrote:Rob , to the best of my knowledge the deck coats usually grey for "up top" and black for the engine room / engineers as far as I can recall.
I agree with James here Rob.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

From "Donitz's crews" early war round necked jackets also in grey as the war moved on these gave way more to jacket collars.

wdrob

Post by wdrob »

Obvious from the photographs is the ligth grey leather gear: that is not helpful to what I had in mind.

Any picture of the dark/black gear, please?
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Will look some out.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

just bought this one , another smooth ocular set and well marked dates from March 1940.
The Zeiss eagle as seen is increasingly being forged/ faked and added to sets, some of the combinations of markings being produced simply make no sense but when you see a clear example like this there is no way it can be mistaken for anything other than what it is and from the era from which it dates.

Above , a mint set of the same model .
Attachments
DSCF1570.jpg
DSCF1570.jpg (83.59 KiB) Viewed 9449 times

Return to “Kriegsmarine”