Uboat 262 what happened to it

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Shergar

Uboat 262 what happened to it

Post by Shergar »

SILENT WATERS RUNNING DEEP

What is the final entry in the log book of the U 260?

Why did the Irish Army separate the new Captain from his crew in the Irish POW camp?
What is contained in the secret debriefing's hidden in the military archives of the Irish Army?
How did the secret code books and documents end up in a top secret file in Dublin when the last signal from the boats captain said they had been destroyed, and what did the neutral Irish Free State do with them?
What secret papers did the captain of the U 260 pick up in Norway and what had he been ordered to do with them by Dönitz
SILENT WATERS, RUNNING DEEP is a visual documentary on two levels, the first is a look back and interview with the surviving crew of the U 260, their thoughts and emotions and the second is the latter day physical search for the underwater resting place of the U-260.

The latter day search for the boat is important, apart from providing stunning visual for the documentaries narrative, it's structural analysis will provide a number of important clues as to how the U 260 met her end. The official report is that she was scuttled after hitting a mine and become unmanageable, there are however, conflicting testimonies which appear to have a more valid answer.

The documentary which will be one hour in length and will contain underwater footage, WW 2 archive footage and present day interviews to build up a comprehensive picture of what happened aboard the U 260. The underwater footage will also enable the use of a remote camera to see for the first time in nearly sixty years, into the dark interior of the U 260's silent hull.

The director has also sourced the following in support of the documentary's production:

The Ships Log books

The Ships Code Books and other secret documents
The debriefing records of the crew and permission to view and record them.
Secret Travel orders for the captain of the U260 to meet with Dönitz before he sailed on his last mission
The German speaking Irish intelligence officer who debriefed the crew.
A number of on camera interviews with members of the crew
The final resting place of the U 260
Tychsen

Re: Uboat 262 what happened to it

Post by Tychsen »

deleted
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

When is the documentary on U 260 going to be shown ??? I have the photo album of Lt.Siegfried Dreschel 1. W.O. from this boat . I also have met several of the crew plus written accounts of what happened . The 3.7cm Flak gun from this boat has been raised a few years ago and remains in safe hands .The ships documents and code books were picked up a few days after U 260 sank by a fishing boat , who handed them over to the Police . The CO of the boat was OLzS Klaus Becker , his Soldbuch is also in the Irish Army Archives . In time I may post up some of the material that I have on this U Boat.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

Hi James , I was talking to a guy today at the DUNLEER show who was telling me that yesterday he was diving on the wreck but the water was too cloudy , with you knowledge on Uboats I was hoping you could tell me what actually may have happened to the boat and the documents and so forth , I found this article on web and thought it would interesting to post up . Also at the show a guy brought with him two pairs of binoculars one being shown in the photographs you placed up . he told me his father swapped them for a box off spam at the end of the war lol with a KM officer whose family where hungry. I was very surprised when you informed me of the cost nowdays of anyone wanting to purchase .The photos I will put up later but the crowds loved the show and the ww2 vehicles and were very interested in what we in KGK do and the interaction was great with them and weather was good as well cloudy but dry mainly .
If you can would you look in your archives and see if you can dig up some more information on this particular boat as a few people are interested in returning to the wreck and any additional information you may have will be helpful to them .
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

some you tube footage of u boat pens

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcZjaqMUVo
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://www.iol.ie/~hofnanet/pages/photofrom%20U260.html
Some photos of the boat which exist on the internet site maintained by the investigating team.
Note the commanders pennant flown by the boat on entering St. Nazaire , twin 20mms on the upper and a 37 mm quick firing gun on the lower - the "turm" has been armoured up and the rails of the bandstands are greatly enlarged.

It is unlikely M that I will be able to tell them anything they don't already know , from this it would seem that they have a good photographic collection on the boat and contact with ex -crew members - the U-Boat archiv in Cuxhaven and the submarines magazine have no doubt already been accessed to contact surviving crew members.
( I would be surprised if they didn't already have a very comprehensive picture of the boats career and that of her crew and commanders).
It is very rare indeed to have a complete crew survive a sinking ( in this case crippled by a mine , extremely luck to have survived the detonation)- my only encounter of such a similar set of circumstances was that of the "Milk Cow" U-489 - I put together accounts from both the Uboat crew and the aircrew from 423 RCAF who sank them.

As Justin has indicated Militrary Achives in Dublin would no doubt hold a considerable amount of information on the crew who came ashore.

Her emblem.
She sank only one ship.
Kpt.lt Hubertus Purkhold sank Empire Wagtail( 4893 grt) from convoy ONS154 on 28/12/42. ( She fired three torpedos and clamied two sunk and one damaged).

Purkhold hit Willaim Pepperell , convoy HX226 but did not sink her.28/9/43.
(He hit her torpedo nets).

Purkhold left U-260 in Feb. 1944 , he was awared the German Cross in Gold in March 1944.

Command passed to Ob.lt Klaus Becker who commded untilk the time of her being scuttled in 1945.

Above from;
"Axis Submarine successes of WW2" by Professor Jurgen Rohwer.( Greenhill).
"U-Boat Operations of WW2- Vol 1." By K Wynn. ( Chathams).
"U-Boat Emblems of WW2" by George Hogel. ( Schiffer).
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Shergar

Post by Shergar »

True James the military archives are a wealth of information for any one wanting to gain information about The Emergency 1939 to 1945 , there is a wealth of photographs secret service , garda , military and other documents and all this available the amount of photographs and individual statements from ordinary members of the public is incredable and a spent a few hours there recently and met a very knowledgeable historian there who filled me in about a few things and persons of interest during our conversation .
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

From Lawrence Patterson's "Donitz's Last Gamble" , U-260 crew on deck.

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Duplicate
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

This documentary seems to have been still borne, it has "not surfaced", battery cells must have died.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Tychsen wrote:This documentary seems to have been still borne, it has "not surfaced", battery cells must have died.
All we need is a few Pfennig's of wire JS :D :D
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Yes Cam.......... then link the cells and blow the water out.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

All seems to be static on this one as well.

Return to “Kriegsmarine”