Pilot Impressions?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

holz21pz

Pilot Impressions?

Post by holz21pz »

Anyone doing a pilot impression? Would like to see some impressions if that is the case. Always looking for resources for gear/uniform items.
ssparatrooper

Re: Pilot Impressions?

Post by ssparatrooper »

Sit on a chair in the garden with a fan in front (grey one) making a horn of jerrico sound.

mega.
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Gott Holz,

Check out my friends at the Luftwaffe Aircrew Reenactors Association, or LARA:

http://www.luftwaffereenactors.org/

Horrido!
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Oh and shout "bomben los!" alot.
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Heeresbergführer wrote:Grüß Gott Holz,

Check out my friends at the Luftwaffe Aircrew Reenactors Association, or LARA:

http://www.luftwaffereenactors.org/

Horrido!
Hey I know them :wink: !

This is me:

I'm slowly working on getting Luftgau VI up and running. Just wanted to see other impressions, but it seems few and far between other than LARA.
Zeigler

Post by Zeigler »

nice guys! Im thinking about start getting the stuff to do a pilot impression. I really want the leather jacket but there seems to be a lot of variants and a lot of repros but what is the best shot for this? And what was the normal shirt for officers to have under the leather jacket?
Reenactor in the swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se
Sturmmann Zeigler
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Unfortunately, I don't know the maker of my leather jacket. I got it from Cyrus Lee at Soldat FHQ, but it was part of the his collection and he doesn't know the maker either. It's very hard to find a good jacket that won't cost you an arm and a leg. I have no idea of the quality of Chinese versions. www.totls.com has them, but I have not seen them either. The thing to remember on leather jackets is that they were not an "official" item so you will see various designs. Mick Prodger's LW vs RAF states that many times pilots of the same squadron would go to the same local tailor which would give the appearance that there were "standard" types of jackets. Many times they were motorcycle jackets adopted as flight jackets.

As the war progressed, the Channel jacket became more of a standard article of clothing. You can get these from SM Wholesale for $250. These also had several variants from blue grey to white to fully fur lined types. They may not be as sexy as leather, but they are great jackets until you can find leather.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

I do an occassional LW pilot impression at airshows. As these are usually mid-summer venues, I don't wear a jacket often, preferring shirt-sleeves. My typical kit:

- Kanalhose or Keilhose
- Blue shirt
- Fliegerbluse or channel jacket
- Schwimmweste
- 'captured' RAF 1940 Pattern flying boots
- Schirmmütze or summer weight Trikot M43

If you get a French cycling-style leather jacket, please get a brown one. Very few wartime jackets were actually black.
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Do you have original kanalhose? If your looking for LW flight boots, I have set I'm trying to sell. They are the small side which has made it a bit hard to move. I'm a 8.5-9 and these fit me exactly right. $375!

Any photos of your impression?
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

holz21pz wrote:Do you have original kanalhose? If your looking for LW flight boots, I have set I'm trying to sell. They are the small side which has made it a bit hard to move. I'm a 8.5-9 and these fit me exactly right. $375!

Any photos of your impression?
Yes, I have both an unlined summer pair in blue cloth and also a dark blue sheepskin pair for winter.

For boots, I prefer the British ones. I had them resoled a few years ago and with gel-soles inside they are very comfortable.

I'll see if I have any event pictures on this computer. I don't really wear the LW stuff that often.
Marlene Weissfeld

Post by Marlene Weissfeld »

nick (my husband) is working on an impression of adolf galland,
he has the kanal hosen and jacket, he is looking to repro the schwimmweste over winter

he also needs a 109 with a micky mouse too :roll: :lol:
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Are his jacket and pants repro or original?
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Some photos from a recent volunteer program we did at the San Diego Air and Space museum. The museum did it's first "Night at the Museum" fundraiser where you can come and take a tour of the museum and night with flashlights, go into the basement restoration area, meet "costumed reenactors" and then spend the night in museum. Anyhow, here are some shots of my updated pilot impression at the event:

Unfortunately, all the German stuff is suspended from the roof:

The replica Horton 229 that was built by Grumman and subject of a National Geographic documentary:

The obligatory, "describing the dogfight" photo:

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

To go along with the kanalhose made by holz21pz, here are mine. Also repros. I made up 4 pairs for guys in our group. The trousers themselves are pretty simple. The pockets and their multitude of bellows, snaps, lanyards, loops, and pouches are a collosal pain to make. The velvet knee pads, pocket drains, leather reinforcements, flare loops, flag pockets, pistol holster, etc are all there.

The fabric is lighterweight than my originals and all the hardware is modern. Sorry about the watermarks all over the pic. A lot of my photos are being used without my permission

Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Wow, this is impressive I must say! Do you have any pictures of walking out uniforms or anything?

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”