Field Division MG42 use?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

352nd

Field Division MG42 use?

Post by 352nd »

I'm been researching the Luftwaffe Field Divisions for a couple of years now. Through all the photos of the division I've seen, there are very few of FD soldiers with Mg42s. Most Mgs are Mg34s and one photo included an Mg15 on a ground mount. I asked a simliar question on the pozzi forum a few weeks ago and two photos were brought to my attension. These are:

Now the latter I'm unsure about as I have a feeling that soldier could be a Fallschirmjager trooper in a late war ground role. Can anyone else help, either with some more FD Mg42 pictures but also to answer the above question.

Cheers
Martin
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Hans Gowert

Re: Field Division MG42 use?

Post by Hans Gowert »

2nd picture doesnt show up
352nd

Post by 352nd »

Here's the link to the original thread on the pozzi forum. Strange how it doesn't show up Tom, as it shows up on my computer. The picture should show up on this thread if anyone can't view it. I'm pretty sure the guy is an FJ not an FD.

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/v ... 44&t=63518

Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

nows its showing, its most likely my bloody computer.

martin,

have a real good look at that second photo. Its looks to me to be some sort of W-SS camo, you can see individual dots (circles) or what ever we call the individual things on W-SS camo.
352nd

Post by 352nd »

Not sure Tom. The bloke is definately wearing a Luftwaffe belt buckle and a Luftwaffe breast eagle on his smock. The guy behind him is in SS camo. If this man matches the background behind him then he isn't Field Division, as that looks like the Ardennes/Bulge offensive and all three Field Divisions fighting on the Western Front were destoryed in August 1944.

geoffpara

Post by geoffpara »

If you read his book " Tigers in the Mud" Otto Carius describes a newly formed LW FD going past his unit towards the Front and he remarks about how they had been issued the latest in MGs, the MG42, while his and other units already out there were still using MG34's. He also goes onto say that his and other units had to save the situation not long after as the FD was not really ready for operations and were caught out and effectively decimated. That led to the local units coming under fire from these MG42s being used by the Russians.

I don't have the book to hand but you should be able to use it to determine the approximate date and relate it to when FDs were first deployed out there.
Olly

Post by Olly »

Yes they were issed them although generally fewer photos were taken late in the war when the MG42 would have been in use more, a few pics in this book (21st Pz Div) of the 16th FD using them in the fighting around Cean.

I have also read the Tigers in the Mud book and recall the description, but don't own a copy a copy for reference.

The second picture shows HG troops at Anzio wearing Splinter B jackets over greatcoats.
Attachments
21__panzer_division.jpg
21__panzer_division.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 6988 times
Olly

Post by Olly »

Attachments
FD 42.jpg
FD 42.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes us certain that the first picture is FD?

To my eye its very difficult to determine the waffenfarbe colour, especially against his tresse. And he's got no collar tabs(that I can discern anyways!)

Just a thought.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
352nd

Post by 352nd »

It's hard to tell for definite whether this man is or isn't a member of the Field Division. I thought he had collar tabs on but due to the lighting on picture its hard to tell if he does or doesn't. It is possible he could be part of another unit. It's been put forward as a likely picture of an FD soldier but is not confirmed as such.

Martin

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”