Splinter Cap Insignia

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

VonSchnitzel

Splinter Cap Insignia

Post by VonSchnitzel »

Hey Guys

Im looking at getting the Field Division Jacket ,Helmet Cover and Cap from Panther Sore next month and I was wonderng about a insignia for the Splinter Cap

Did they wear insignia's on the splinter cap those in the Field Division/Heer 1943 -45 ?
If so where would be the best place to get it?
I it AT The Front have one I think but I would like to check out Morgi that some one mentioned earlier on another post. But I dont have link for that site.
Western Australia's Only WW2 Reenacting Group
World War 2 Forces WA
http://www.ww2forceswa.com

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
18th Luftwaffe Field Division
German Combat Medic
mauser98

Re: Splinter Cap Insignia

Post by mauser98 »

Von Schintzel,
Panther is the best choice. Our FD unit ended up with ATF Camo FD jackets before Panther's stuff was available. As much as it was tempting to switch over, asking everyone in the unit to buy a new FD jacket was not feasible. I'm glad you are getting the best one available.
Most original camo soft caps I see have no insignia. Period photos do show some now and then. So I guess it's a matter of personal choice. I sometimes wear a camo cap made from original tan & water material. Mine has no insignia.
Camo helmet covers are a nice addition. However, many photos of Luft FD troops show a lot of helmets camoed painted, many with nets and wire arrangements and of course plain bluegray. Cloth camo covers are a minority but were certainly used. Our unit has a mix of all the above mentioned.
Please post a photo when you have your kit all together.
Regards,
Jim
mauser98
VonSchnitzel

Post by VonSchnitzel »

Yes I will for sure

Thanks for the information

Just need the splinter extra's and a m40 Blue Side cap probably from Hessen Antique
World War 2 Forces WA

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
German Combat Medic
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I'd save money and not bother with the splinter cap or helmet cover.
Splinter caps were not a common item.
Get the issued items first and the Gucci stuff later?
VonSchnitzel

Post by VonSchnitzel »

I pretty well have everything Stigroadie except the cap
Unless I need a blue gas bag which I dont think I do.
I would prefer a Blue Gas Canister instead of my green one so I may paint one as I can t find a blue one to buy anywhere.
But yeah I may just get the Panther Jacket though and hold off on the cover and cap like you said.
Might get the chicken wire for my helmet though as a substitute.
World War 2 Forces WA

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
German Combat Medic
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Keep your green canister, green is the rule for LWFD canisters. What you see a lot are homemade helmet covers along with normandy camo helmets. Don't use a camo cap as I have never seen a LWFD photograph with camo cap(s). Regular blue M43 or M40 would be best. Heer M43 would be good too... Blue gas cape pouch, no.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Hi, reference the blue-grey helmets in an earlier post according to Brian Ice (Helmet Lot number book) and others blue-grey was dis-continued shortly after the decals were dropped on helmets in August 1943 (i.e when the paint stocks ran out) and supposedly standard field-grey non-decal M42 helmets were issued to Luftwaffe troops at some point after that. Non-decal blue-grey helmets exist but are very rare as I understand it. I imagine that the Luftwaffe held stocks of helmets that would have delayed things but I think eventually they were issued. In black and white pictures I think it would be very difficult to distinguish? Has anyone looked into this for Luftwaffe late-war impressions 1944/ 45?

Also - ATF have some particularly nice Luftwaffe M43 caps at the moment (2 button with trapezoid) - got one recently and am very pleased with it.

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”