Making a replica WL 2nd pattern dagger hangar

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Major von Kluge

Making a replica WL 2nd pattern dagger hangar

Post by Major von Kluge »

I searched the net for a vendor selling replica Luftwaffe dagger hangars. There was only one and he was out of stock. So, I decided to make my own. The photo shows the parts I purchased from a Czech supplier, and the ribbon, which I found on German ebay. The dagger at the bottom is my original Eickhorn example, with an original hangar. The orange coloured spare handle is also an original. At the top is my early replica dagger, along with the partly assembled replica hangar, and its parts.

The next photo shows how I have sewn purple velvet to the back of the ribbon, as seen on originals (its usually purple or grey). I am awaiting receipt of metal eyelets of the correct size and material, in order to complete the job.

The final photo shows the replica dagger with part assembled hangar and portapee. I am thinking of replacing the handle on the replica with the original period orange hangar, as I prefer that colour.
Attachments
with hangar and portapee
with hangar and portapee
Small portapee.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
sewing to rear
sewing to rear
Rear small.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
dagger hangars and parts
dagger hangars and parts
Parts small.jpg (216.71 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
Major von Kluge

Re: Completed replica dagger hangar

Finally I have completed the replica dagger hangar. The photo shows my original period dagger hangar (left) and my home-made replica (right ). The second photo shows my replica hangar and dagger, and my officers gloves. Now I can finish my walking out uniform!
Attachments
gsmall.JPG
gsmall.JPG (252.92 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
D+Gsmall.JPG
D+Gsmall.JPG (246.29 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
christiandbn

Re: Making a replica WL 2nd pattern dagger hangar

Post by christiandbn »

Interesting there Herr Major,

Maybe you can share with us a larger and clearer photo of the straps next to each other? Do you intend on making more reproductions?

Thanks,

Christian
saddler

Post by saddler »

Looks good.

I used to make the modern Royal Navy hangers & belts, as a firm I worked for in the past supplied Toye, Kenning & Spencer with a lot of such dress uniform items & regalia.

The Royal Navy ones are quite similar with regard to the lace & overall style/design, just the fittings that differ
Major von Kluge

christiandbn wrote:Interesting there Herr Major,

Maybe you can share with us a larger and clearer photo of the straps next to each other? Do you intend on making more reproductions?

Thanks,

Christian
Hello Christian,

I had difficulty posting better photos due to the 256kb file attachment limit. However I will try again later (I managed to before, but cant remember how I did it).

Regarding your query about making more. I would be happy to make them to order. The limiting factor though, is the availability of the correct ribbon. I have a small stock, enough for a few hangars.
Major von Kluge

saddler wrote:Looks good.

I used to make the modern Royal Navy hangers & belts, as a firm I worked for in the past supplied Toye, Kenning & Spencer with a lot of such dress uniform items & regalia.

The Royal Navy ones are quite similar with regard to the lace & overall style/design, just the fittings that differ
That's very interesting. I did a search to find out if there was any tradition of dress daggers in the British forces and was unable to find any evidence of one. So the RN had (have) dress daggers. Do you know where I can see pictures of one, and its hangars, brocade belt etc. I was interested to spot on news videos of the Mandela funeral that the South African Air Force has a dress dagger!!
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

I see. Can you drop me an email with higher resolution photos? Do you still have my email?

Thanks,

Christian
saddler

Post by saddler »

Major von Kluge wrote:
saddler wrote:Looks good.

That's very interesting. I did a search to find out if there was any tradition of dress daggers in the British forces and was unable to find any evidence of one. So the RN had (have) dress daggers. Do you know where I can see pictures of one, and its hangars, brocade belt etc. I was interested to spot on news videos of the Mandela funeral that the South African Air Force has a dress dagger!!
Meant to reply to this sooner, but been busy since the family broke up school for the summer break

The Royal Navy items I made were for the sword carriers...as they follow roughly the same pattern, but have longer straps

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”