ESCAPING THE ALLIES

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Sean

Re: ESCAPING THE ALLIES

Post by Sean »

I also think the 'western' world found the attrocities committed by the Nazi's that little closer to home. The pacific war was so far away, and the documentation of the attrocities does not seem to be in as much detail as what happened in Europe. I do find it surprising though, that the British and the US Armies did not put more pressure on the governments to put Japanese military leaders on trial for the way POW's were treated, but then again I would have assumed this may have been dealt with in the field with a quick trial and a shallow grave for many.
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Tanaka wrote:
Hans Gowert wrote:one of the main deals for the japs to surrender was that they would not be tried for war crimes i believe,
Not really true, only that the Emperor wouldn't be tried for War Crimes. Tokyo had there own War crimes trial after which 7 men were excecuted including the only Axis leader to be hanged by the Allies, Hideki Tojo
16 men were sentanced to Life Imprisonment.

There were other trials right across the pacific which led to the Controversial excecutions of several Japanese Generals who had been proved in there trials to have done there best to prevent any war crimes

Kenji Doihara (Ran POW camps in Malaya and East Indies)
Koki Hirota (Foreign minister then premier in 1930's)
Seishiro Itagaki ( War minister later responsible for POW camps)
Hyotaro Kimura (Vice war minister then Burma army commander)
Iwana Matsui ( Commander in CHina during the Rape of Nanking)
Akira Muto (commander in Sumatra then the Phillipines)
Hideki Tojo (War minister then Premier)

All Sentanced to death in Tokyo trials.

Most local commanders in the field were either shot on sight, jailed or committed suicide before capture.

Even Generals like Yamashita and Homma who were clearly innocent of the crimes they were tried for were either hanged or shot
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

And of the 70 Class "A" Japanese war criminals, only 28 were tried, the remainder two groups of 23 and 19 war criminals respectively were never brought to trial.

Of the Class "B" and "C" Japanese war criminals (from a list of prospective 300,000) only 5,472 were tried - of those 4,019 were convicted. 920 were executed and 3099 were sentenced to varying terms of imprisonment.

And a majority of the uncondemmed war criminals were released in 1948 /49. Thats of course excluding the case of Lt. Gen. Ishii Shiro and his activities with Unit 731
Last edited by West-Front on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I some ways it was one big witchhunt by the Allies after the war
some allied facts the french army took some 740,000 German prisoners from the Americans they were starved and mistreated so bad that over 250,000 died . In the U.S Army prison camps at the end of WWII there was almost 4 million German soldiers many held out doors and in unsheltered barbed wire enclosures with little or no food, water for many months of this at least 750,000 died of malnutrition and disease how many in the the Russian camps we will never know
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

West-Front wrote:Thats of course excluding the case of Lt. Gen. Ishii Shiro and his activities with Unit 731

Because the Allies put the knowledge he had over that of justice for his victims.
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Tanaka wrote:There were other trials right across the pacific which led to the Controversial excecutions of several Japanese Generals who had been proved in there trials to have done there best to prevent any war crimes
I'm assuming thats a reference to Yamishita's trial, but who else ?
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

What is the source for your figures Franz ?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Thanks James some good links there I think we will never know the true numbers James Bacques book I did have a link to a web site with the same numbers biut its a dead link
ImageImageImageImageImage
Helmut Schegel

Post by Helmut Schegel »

You mean 'Other Losses', that caused a stir when it came out. Eisenhower doesn't come out of it very well. His redefinition of Prisoner of War to Defeated Enemy Forces so the US Army could evade its responsibility under the Geneva Convention to house, feed and care for capture or surrendered German soldiers is reprehensible. Their policy of removing wounded German soldiers from hospitals and placing them in open fields with no shelter or medical attention contributed to the (admitted) death toll of 50,000.
The Soviet system had no room for Honour or Justice, the US certainly played only lip service to those concepts too. The Brits had a Detention/Interrogation Centre at Luneburg which was closed down after the dreadfull conditions there were exposed by a medical officer based at a local military hospital. who had to treat the starved and tortured inmates.
You have to be a little sanguine about what happened as the war came to an end however, most of this stuff took place afterwards and in cold blood.
3 Kp./Jäger Regiment 83
" Regimenter sterben zehnmahl, aber es bleibt....das Regiment."
Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

Almoust 300 000 german solders surrender to Tito s partizans and around 250 000 never return home, they end up together with 100 000 slovin nationals "Domobrans" in Slovenian caves, and mine shecks, this mass murder was weal hiden Jugoslav comunists secret nown only to alies liders who agreed in Jalta conferance that german army hade to be destroyed and all axis solders whos countrys were in comunist block return to Russians and Yugoslav comunists knowing that they were be killed! Only after Slovenian independence the truth come out and this mass killing filds escevated, the picture of 10 000 human remains is horific and i can share some with you ....
Attachments
633717779173980680_rov.jpg
633717779173980680_rov.jpg (114.01 KiB) Viewed 8276 times

Return to “Units - history and information”