Photo request Gebirgsjager 1941-45

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
42gunner

Photo request Gebirgsjager 1941-45

Post by 42gunner »

Does anyone have a larger version of this color plate? or any other Handschar illustrations from the book, if that's the only one Id still appreciate it.
from this book
Heeresbergführer

Re: Photo request Gebirgsjager 1941-45

Post by Heeresbergführer »

The Jäger on the cover of the Osprey book is not Hanschar, but regular pre-war army Gebirgsjäger with a MG-13 and is wearing a non-regulation WWI cap Edelweiss.
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Yes I was hoping someone could've photocopied that color plate for me out of that book.
Gebirgsjager books usually mention 7.SS and 13.SS
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

42gunner wrote:Yes I was hoping someone could've photocopied that color plate for me out of that book.
There was a 6th SS Gebirgsjäger Division and it realy grips me that all the books over look this
ImageImageImageImageImage
jonboy 85th

Post by jonboy 85th »

Heeresbergführer wrote:The Jäger on the cover of the Osprey book is not Hanschar, but regular pre-war army Gebirgsjäger with a MG-13 and is wearing a non-regulation WWI cap Edelweiss.
Its a MG-30
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

42gunner wrote:Yes I was hoping someone could've photocopied that color plate for me out of that book.
Here's the pic for you, for more info on the Handschar there is a thread on this forum
under the "Foreign volunteers section" with plenty of real photo's, good luck :wink:
Handschar colour plate 2.jpg
Handschar colour plate 2.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
Regards Peiper.
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

jonboy 85th wrote:
Heeresbergführer wrote:The Jäger on the cover of the Osprey book is not Hanschar, but regular pre-war army Gebirgsjäger with a MG-13 and is wearing a non-regulation WWI cap Edelweiss.
Its a MG-30
Grüß Di' Jonboy...good catch! I should have known better since the Jäger is too close to the breech when compared with the MG-13. By the way, the Osprey book caption identifies it as a MG-34! Here's the same shot but from an original color postcard from my collection:

And a shot of a Gebirgsjäger with a MG-13:

Franz...the Osprey book does mention the 6th w-ss Gebirgsdivision NORD.

42gunner....a better book on the subject is "Himmler's Bosnian Division" by George Lepre.

http://www.books.co.uk/george_lepre/him ... 764301346/

Berg Heil und Horrido!
PK
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Papa I have read two books that over look Nord or just calls them a Kampfgruppe :roll: and even calls the SS Gebrigsjäger substandard .
ImageImageImageImageImage
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Franz repper wrote:Papa I have read two books that over look Nord or just calls them a Kampfgruppe :roll: and even calls the SS Gebrigsjäger substandard .
I hate those books, you can find that much info online today. It's just a couple of paragraphs per division. Its also always the same crap, thats just parotted, very little deeper research was done.
I love Osprey books, I think the authors are very knowledgeable, but it's like WW2 for dummies sometimes, due to the space limit. Everything has to be summarized.

that MG doesnt even seem loaded to me, probably a training field op.
I love the fact that Gebirgs MG gunners were fewer in number but got alot more ammo.

here's the color plate I was looking for, downloaded a free pdf version

Return to “Anything WWII!”