All's Quiet on The Southern Front

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Ardennes

All's Quiet on The Southern Front

Post by Ardennes »

I thought I'd poke the bear and see if anyone is out there...this time of year, knee deep in snow, I always think of the North Afrikan theatre. Apparently due to the inactivity on this section, I might be the only one? :?

I broke down and purchased Afrika Korps: Rommel's Tropical Army in Color by Bernd Peitz and Gary Wilkins; to compliment my other texts by McGuirk and Kurtz. Can anyone recommend any other good titles. I'm particularly interested in any first hand accounts, similar to Von Luck's, but with more focus on the DAK.

In the mean time, I've ordered a new field cap from GD43 and am swapping out my litzen on the feldbluse for better quality, also from GD43. I'm considering working on my helmet too..

anyone else working on DAK related projects? :)
Hans Gowert

Re: All's Quiet on The Southern Front

Post by Hans Gowert »

I myself have a set up to represent the fallschirmjager in Afrika 'Ramcke' brigade .

There are a couple of good books covering the afrika campaign,

John E hodgins Fallschirmjager in afrika and Edgars book 'Ramcke brigade'
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ardennes wrote:I thought I'd poke the bear and see if anyone is out there...this time of year, knee deep in snow, I always think of the North Afrikan theatre. Apparently due to the inactivity on this section, I might be the only one? :?

I broke down and purchased Afrika Korps: Rommel's Tropical Army in Color by Bernd Peitz and Gary Wilkins; to compliment my other texts by McGuirk and Kurtz. Can anyone recommend any other good titles. I'm particularly interested in any first hand accounts, similar to Von Luck's, but with more focus on the DAK.

In the mean time, I've ordered a new field cap from GD43 and am swapping out my litzen on the feldbluse for better quality, also from GD43. I'm considering working on my helmet too..

anyone else working on DAK related projects? :)
Ive just resprayed one of my Fallshy helmets in DAK colours and started to get some tropical para bits such as
bando, belt etc, already got the uniform and cap etc badged up and just recently ordered a LW tropical shirt,
this is to go with my European Para kit which i hope to get altogether by the end of the month!.

Not bad going all the Para kit in under two months, mind you spent a packet :roll: lol

Pipes
Last edited by Peiper on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ardennes

Post by Ardennes »

I'm a big fan of Hodgin's book - it compliments Kurtz very well. I'm hoping to pick up the Ramcke brigade book at the Show of Shows - it's been a bit limited in availability over here.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I'm getting together a couple of decent DAK uniforms.

One is Aufklarungs and the other is Panzer. I've also managed to get hold of the DAK brown woollen greatcoat and canvas krademelder mack (as advertised in this section on different threads.)

Incidentally, is anyone aware of the 8th Army Veteran's Day meeting at Thetford on 20th June? This happens every year and I'm also aware that they usually ask for re-enactors portraying DAK to take part as well.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”