some drilling

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Hans Gowert

Re: some drilling

Post by Hans Gowert »

your having a laugh ?

they drill is a poor replication , sloppy and the Unter is using a rubber rifle so there is no weight. !!
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Hans Gowert wrote:your having a laugh ?

they drill is a poor replication , sloppy and the Unter is using a rubber rifle so there is no weight. !!
To be honest Tom, yes you are right, the drill is the wrong and there are mistakes but they have obviously put time into it. More time than most if not all groups we know have or will do/done. Even to get to that, all be it average standard, for a civvy is not bad!

Having said that.... There is no way I'd be happy putting on a public display if the squad were not 100%, they are not! I know :lol:
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Hans Gowert wrote:your having a laugh ?

Well, the thing is that they've actually spent time to learn atleast that much is great in my view. I remember myself practicing parade drills (honor guard of Finland) and it took ALOT of time to get people to do things properly, timing etc. For a non-military group they are doing quite well in my point of view.

Sure, it could be done better. Sure, it's wrong etc. etc., but the effort itself is enough for me.

I wish I saw more reenactors doing basic drilling as well as the germans did back then! I wish my own unit would spend more time learning them! :D
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Does it matter that they are in uniform ? no , might aswell wear tracksuit's and sneakers. Poor, sloppy and totally fantasy for ww2 drill.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Alright, well, I think I've said all I have to say.

Anyways, does anyone have videos of just regular arms drilling of german army? I'd love to see those!
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

:) :)

good video of rifle drill, there are suttle differences to wartime drill but its a good basis to work on and then watch the lack of videos out there to adjust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtSm2y8 ... 2ZSLzIyNyM
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

That does highlight the difference between professionals and amatuers and that's why amatuers shouldn't put on drill displays...... However good for civvies they may be.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

barnaclebill wrote:That does highlight the difference between professionals and amatuers and that's why amatuers shouldn't put on drill displays...... However good for civvies they may be.
"Drill is a pill and must be taken 3 times a day" the words of my old Drill instructor
ImageImageImageImageImage
rednas

Post by rednas »

Hans Gowert wrote::) :)

good video of rifle drill, there are suttle differences to wartime drill but its a good basis to work on and then watch the lack of videos out there to adjust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtSm2y8 ... 2ZSLzIyNyM
I've heard that the main difference was that the ww2 drill was a fast and fluent movement while the currect drill is more phase steps. Is this correct?
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

i believe so dutch boy
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Atleast based on the videos I've seen they don't really stop. Just keep them flowing :P
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Yes, timing is different.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

Let me firstly point out that the original Youtube footage was in deed that of the German Bundi Wachbattallion. I know some of you will realise that these are members of the same Battallion that crushed the attempted takeover of the Nazi state back in 1944 by the July plotters. The Battallion has a Kompanie that performs as drill display team, the remainder performing public duties much like our Guard Rgts. I would also like to remind you that we too have drill Display teams the RAF colour Rgt springs to mind also the signals Rgt display team and Naval ones, So to say these have too much time on their hands – well let’s not go there. The US Marine corps also has a display team of the highest standard and men consider being in one of the highest honours. Remember also that the UK and USA are not the only ones who are fighting a war in Afghanistan many UN troops are there and Germany are third highest in its loss of troops to enemy fire! So Gentlemen let’s not be disrespectful.
Drill is an integral part of being a soldier; it installs Pride, discipline and teamwork. In past years it was used as a forerunner to great battles and nothing Unites a nation better than a ‘Parade’ of its soldiers when victory is won. Almost all Re enactors avoid doing drill simply because they do not how too or are simply too scared to try. I have heard in the 20yrs of doing this so many excuses, most believe that sitting in a hole in the ground covered in dirt and fake blood makes them look like soldiers, anyone can do this. What makes a difference is when you act like a soldier. As a former infantry instructor including DRILL, I will say that all men and women no matter what regiment they serve or rank they hold can do armed drill its part of being a soldier!
Der Führer Rgt. teachers it’s Soldaten Exerziendienst because of what it installs in the men! We copy the wachbattallion because their drill is how it was 60 yrs ago nothing has changed they still use the Reibert, this of cause less the fancy moves. We all say we want to strive for authenticity if you do you know what to do. You can see DF on Youtube just type in der führer Rgt. As for timings well German drill of WWII was exactly the same, all arms have different drill moves the Grenadier Guards is much slower than normal infantry drill and the Light infantry is double the speed. The Naval units have different drill moves too. Who is right who is wrong , answer – none don’t get believing just because you see a german WWII soldat throw is weapon up to the slope fast that that was the norm. If anyone wants any advise face to face you can approach me a shows.

Ich wurde nicht auf die Erde geschickt, um die Menschen zu ändern.
Verwände seine Schwächen.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Those guys were reenactors, not professional soldiers.

Anyways, fancy parade drilling is different from regular drills, so.. well.

Return to “Drill, Tactics, Fieldcraft”