Anorak (windbluse) questions

Moderator: les hearn

mario33

Anorak (windbluse) questions

Post by mario33 »

I was trying to resolve the 'anorak puzzle' for some time and now I'm lost. Therefore I would like to put the following topics for discussion.

1. The anoraks were produced in a few models marked with year. I've met the following models in literature: 1939 (early), 1942, 1943. On the other hand, I've got the impression that all those markings are somewhat inapropriate as possibly they were used earlier than the model may suggest (i.e. model 1942 is reported to be used in 1941). I couldnt get clear impression as what were the major differencies between the models.

2. Camo issue is also pressing in this context. Usually anoraks were white on side and 'mausgrau' or 'feldgrau' on the other. Is it true ? I've also came across white/tan, white/green. Are those only fantasies of asian suppliers ?

3. Anoraks of Waffen SS units*, same problems as above. I've seen fantastic verisions of 'eichenlaub' anoraks but never managed to get to see any single periodic photo evidence. I mean windbluse, not the standard Waffen SS model of Tarnjacke, which were extensively used.

* I hate the word 'elite' usually put in this context here due to political correctness reasons. Not that I dont treat Waffen SS units as elite (though not all of them were such) but otherwise how they would call e.g. GJ units ? Common ?
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Ted

Re: Anorak (windbluse) questions

Post by Ted »

just to mess with your mind some more !

dont forget the Tan & water 43 & 44 patt's as well issued to Heer Gebrigs units :D
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Oh we have had this one before I will not go to much into this as the last post on this subject ended up beaing locked
GJ Windbluse White/ brown Early war Green/white late war this is not a hard and fast rule. I was told this by a collector and is what I use
As for the SS patern 'eichenlaub' anoraks they were Never Issued ,Some private made ones are out there
you could find the 2 pocket ones as well
Brown ones in use
Yet another type with drawstring neck note no button over storm flap
ImageImageImageImageImage
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Di' Bergkameraden,

This is an interesting subject...thanks for bringing it up. I think lots of confusion comes from collectors and authors who try to categorize everything...like the M1942 Windbluse and so on. The Germans didn't use this classification for their issue items.

From my research and collection, I can say that there are several patterns of the 2-pocket Windbluse that show up in photographs from pre-war to the end. They tend to be non-reversible...either in white or tan/khaki. These were not widely issued. I think many of them were civilian mountaineering Windblusen that were purchased by the army and others were Italian designs. Franz posted some nice examples of the 2-pocket Windbluse. Here are some more:

Here are a couple of examples that the curator from the Gebirgsjäger Museum in Sonthofen showed me:

Berg Heil!
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Heeresbergführer

Servus Jägers,

Now the 3-pocket Windbluse, doesn't start showing up in photographs until around 1942 during the Caucasus Campaign and the Eismeerfront. I have seen this Windbluse in several white reversible to a color/camo combinations, as well as non-reversible types.

Here are some from my collection -

This is a tan/khaki non-reversible civilian Windbluse by Sporthaus Schüster in München (notice the pleat on the center pocket and the lower front diagonal pockets, plus the zippered hood):

An olive to white Windbluse...marked M42:

Here's a late war Schlumpftarn Windbluse...but I have not seen any wartime photographic evidence of these being worn:

I have a few others that I will photograph and post.

Horrido!
Last edited by Heeresbergführer on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kompanie Chef

Heeresbergführer

Grüß Gott Bergkameraden,

Here are a few other original Windblusen from my collection:

A 2 pocket civilian mountaineering model:

A mint un-issued Sniper Windbluse (non-reversible) made from Rayon or Silk with size tag still sewn on and color ID bands:

The standard tan/khaki to white model (this one and the olive one seem to be the types most widely issued):

Here's a gray to white version...I have a matching helmet cover with this one also:

And finally a 1940 Swiss Army 2 pocket Windbluse...very similar to the German and French type:

Berg und Schee Heil!
Kompanie Chef

Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Grüss Gott!!!(no german keyboard).

I found this at home:
ImageImageImageImage
No mark, tag, etc. My father bought it in early 50'(and used it for skiing) so repro no way... This; with 3/1 front pockes and feldgrau/light olive color version looks quite unique for me(photos not good; so feldgrau/ light olive is the color)...
Does anybody has more information???

Danke sehr!!!

Update: After I investigated the anorak. I found some additional information: :o
-The light olive side was white! I moved the knot on the adjustment line, and it's white, where the knot covers ownself.
-The lone pouch on the olive side, was a part of the triple pouches, but the winger pouches are removed... Just partly, beacuse there is still 2 pencil holder(?) on the both side.
-There is a small embroidery on the olive side, maybe the owner's I.D.

I try to make photos about them in the morning...
Heeresbergführer

Servus Murdoc,

Looks like you have a standard issue Windbluse (anorak) that has been modified. The side with the single pocket was white at one time...looks like the neck flap is still white. These olive type Windbluse had a rubberized white paint on the reverse side. This rubberizdd coating tends to rub off after a time. I have both the Windbluse and Windhose in this pattern. The white side of my Windhose is in good shape, but the white side of my Windbluse is rubbing off.

On the olive side of your Windbluse, the neck flap has been removed...and it is this flap that usually has markings on it. Hope that answers your questions.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick
Kompanie Chef

Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Thanx! :D

It's maybe repainted too, beacuse the ajustment line was white:
And buttons too: