Last 2 years through Courts. A word of thanks also.

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Von ryan

Last 2 years through Courts. A word of thanks also.

Post by Von ryan »

Not sure if this is the correct section, but I wanted to talk about what happened to me over the last 2 years! Some of the people I know on here will have been aware of this, others will not, but I finally saw this through and took none of the deals offered along the way.

Ive been a reenactor since 2004 here in Northern Ireland. In Northern Ireland we operate under the Firearms (NI) Order 2004. In December 2008 my house was raided and my collection seized. This included all my live firearms, blank firers and deacts. They also seized my uniforms and other items such as bayonets. My laptop and desk top were seized. I was arrested and detained for 28 hours for questioning. A further 8 hours of questioning were carried out in March 2009 and April 2009 after the forensic reports were prepared. The file was prepared and the Public Prosecuton Service summonsed me in February 2010 for among one thing, possession of Prohibited weapons (these would be section 5 on mainland.)

The one point of interest in relation to my case was the 'Front Venting' blank firers that I possessed. They were the German made guns from Umarex and Erma, and were alledgedly 'designed for the discharge of noxious gas', i.e. CS, CN or Mace. After a week of legal wrangling from Police Forensic Scientists and my own Defence Forensic Scientist, the court rejected that these items were prohibited as they were not designed for the discharge of noxious gas, hence they are not prohibited, they are merely blank firers. After an hour and a half, the jury delivered a unanimous not guilty verdict on all the charges. Its one hell of a relief! This just gives a brief outline of the case of course but I thought it might be of interest.

Here are some links for how the story was reported. The press have mixed up some terminology along the way, i.e Decommisioned Blank Firing Guns!! Due to the complexity of the case the reporting get a bit muddled!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 59100.html

http://www.u.tv/News/Policeman-on-trial ... 223dc9c629

Then after getting clear,

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 64218.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12280816

Finally I just wanted to post a note to thank all my fellow reenactors who have supported me throughout the last 2 years when I've been fighting my firearms case through the courts. There were many times when the support kept my head above the water as it were!

Thanks again!

Ryan
Wartime Living History Association (WLHA)
www.wartimeliving.co.uk
www.wartimelivingfj.co.uk
Franz repper

Re: Last 2 years through Courts. A word of thanks also.

Post by Franz repper »

I am happy that things turned out OK for you
ImageImageImageImageImage
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Good One Ryan, well done mate, mainly for sticking with it and not letting them wear you down, mine took 18 months to go through court, with all of the usual threats of this and that if I didn't plead guilty (which I didn't), hopefully a victory for common sense.
I am the bane of pointy stick forums, thrice banned for honesty, hater of internet re enactors ( you know, the ones that know everything but never do an event).
dagda

Post by dagda »

Nice One Ryan and well done! See you in February! Fallschirmjager Vor! :D
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I have only heard snippets and bits about this - I do know where it stemmed from however and I do know some of what you went through Ryan. You had some good friends around you and that counts for a lot. I am glad you had a successful outcome and am sorry that you had to endure so much.

I hope this is an end to it and that karma will prevail.

There was at least one good outcome from this before the case was concluded. The whole Irish scene benefited I believe.

Let's hope it's all behind you.

There are those however who will not feel able to offer congratulations. I leave them to their own consciences.

PD
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Glad to see you got a positive result on this one, I would hate to have to go through that, although I do not know you Ryan I am happy for your result.
wittmann

Post by wittmann »

Good news,
hope you got all the seized items back in one piece mate, or did forensics turn them into a bag of bits.

Chris
Von ryan

Post by Von ryan »

The case only concluded on Tuesday so I've got to get my stuff back now. Im praying that my stuff hasn't been turned into a bag of bits, especially my blank fire mp38 and pps43!

PD it's been a long 2 years but throughout that time I feel that reenactment here has pulled together as it were, thankfully a lot of the trouble and infighting seems to have disappeared!! Now to celebrate I've booked to go to Stoneleigh this weekend! :)
www.wartimeliving.co.uk
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Von ryan wrote:The case only concluded on Tuesday so I've got to get my stuff back now. Im praying that my stuff hasn't been turned into a bag of bits, especially my blank fire mp38 and pps43!

PD it's been a long 2 years but throughout that time I feel that reenactment here has pulled together as it were, thankfully a lot of the trouble and infighting seems to have disappeared!! Now to celebrate I've booked to go to Stoneleigh this weekend! :)
Nice one - PM me where you are staying Ryan. If you are close to us I will endeavour to come and buy you a pint. Failing that I'll no doubt bump into you Sunday.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Yay! Drinks all round on the Grinkster!!! :D
I am the bane of pointy stick forums, thrice banned for honesty, hater of internet re enactors ( you know, the ones that know everything but never do an event).
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Cruiser wrote:Yay! Drinks all round on the Grinkster!!! :D
I have a 5l container of water....... bring your own cups! :P
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Good to hear that it turned out all right for you in the end, but it must have been a terrible ordeal for you and your family. I hope you get everything back ASAP and in good order.

Are you going to be able to get some form of compensation?
Von ryan

Post by Von ryan »

Im sure compensation will be discussed down the line but Im just delighted to have won, thats worth more than any amount of money!! :)

PD I've sent a PM, cheers mate!
www.wartimeliving.co.uk
Panzerrob

Post by Panzerrob »

Von ryan wrote:Im sure compensation will be discussed down the line but Im just delighted to have won, thats worth more than any amount of money!! :)

PD I've sent a PM, cheers mate!
Sorry to hear of your predicament, glad its all worked out for you.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

does the NI rules apply to GB?, if so does this mean we can use forward venting weapons? sorry if this has been asked before.
graham

Return to “General”