your museum recommendations

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

koobleguy

your museum recommendations

Post by koobleguy »

I was wondering if if might be interesting for other forum members fo share museum recommendations:

here's my first one - please fell free to share yours aswell:

very nice, private museum near Bremerhaven

excellent WW1 collection, one of the best I've seen so far,

WW2 relativly smaller than WW1, but still very nice, all of this in
an historical WW2 Flak command post - absolutely worth a visit!

http://www.alterflakleitstand.de
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
wolfsangel

Re: your museum recommendations

Post by wolfsangel »

if you ever end up anywhere near hurtgenwald visit the one at Vossenack, its small and only open on sundays but the guy that runs it started it from things he had collected when clearing battle fields etc. Some really interesting stuff and helpful proprietor.
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

http://www.baugnez44.be/

In my opinion the best Museum in the ardennes.
CDB taking it way too serious!
barryG

Post by barryG »

Technik Museum in Sinsheim, huge collection of German WW2 armour and lots of other attractions including the largest Mercedes collection worldwide. Theres a smaller museum in Speyer, same sort of thing but much smaller but Speyers a nice town too.

You can easily lose half a day at Sinsheim.
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Fortress of Eben-Emael

not the best museum for the uniforms, but the fact that they work with volunteers and it doesn't get funds from the governement!!! :evil:
Got to do with the shame of Belgium that it surendered after 36 hours: the vets (some after 5 years of POW) weren't reccognized after the war as they where accused being cowards! Even now the royals don't put flowers at the remembrence plaque of the fallen on the entrance, while they do it for the fallen of other regiments accros the street!!!

interesting to see what a 50kg hollow charge does to concrete and steel!
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

erikbozwo2 wrote:http://www.baugnez44.be/

In my opinion the best Museum in the ardennes.

Erik, You been to the Diekirch museum (Diekirch brewery at the time), 352nd HQ during the Offensive...would take a lot to beat that museum...4 floors of it.... in actual setting?..
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

barryG wrote:You can easily lose half a day at Sinsheim.
I managed to lose the whole day, great place.
Passed it so many times on the autobahn, when I finally got a day off in Mannheim there was only one place I was going.
rednas

Post by rednas »

Pete Skillman wrote:Erik, You been to the Diekirch museum (Diekirch brewery at the time), 352nd HQ during the Offensive...would take a lot to beat that museum...4 floors of it.... in actual setting?..
That one is the best imo, really a lot to see with incredible displays.
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

AND he has still more hidden away ...E5 to get in...BARGAIN...and they still sell Diekirch beer in Diekirch :D !..
There was talk many moons ago about doing something pover there, LHA did a river crossing and we have done two night viduals organised by the curator Roland Gaul up on the border.
barryG

Post by barryG »

If any of you have a break in Spain, the Artillery Museum in Cartegena is not bad. Huge collection of artillery from all eras including ww1 and 2. Many German guns like Pak 40 etc and they have a working Stug too. Also a small collection of arms and Spanish uniforms and the like. Entry was free too, its owned by the military. Also, in the same town is the Civil War air raid museum, it isnt much but has a display about the war and is actually in an underground cave used by civilians in the civil war.

Ill stick some pics up in a seperate thread sometime.

Return to “General”