Police Shako's

Moderator: Feldjager

Herr_Pete

Police Shako's

Post by Herr_Pete »

Hi there guys,

Just a question whether or not anyone reproduces the rural Police Shako? I have heard they are being reproduces but who is still a mystery. I have an original lined up for my collection but curious if anyone knows is there are repro's out there.

Peter
Kampfgruppe Schottland Pz Lehr rgt 901
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: Police Shako's

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

I looked into this a few years backthere was a guy made a couple to special order but i dont know who it was and in any case the price quoted was more than a reasonable origional. I do have an origional but rarely take it to events owing to the scarcity and value and the couple i did take it to it nearly got smashed.
Following on from that i have been looking for a tunic in the proper Police green for years with no luck, though i have managed to get some trousers and Britches.

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Herr_Pete

Post by Herr_Pete »

I was guessing if there would be reproductions out there then they would no doubt cost about the same as an Original. Just the way things are going these days for most items lol

I will go ahead and buy my original as it is for my collection but I noticed this on ebay.de http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tschako-Pickelha ... 065wt_1396

Remove the chin strap and fixing and the plate then it should be easily converted. What do you think?

Pete
Crazy Feldgendarme

You need to remove the cockades from under the chin strap fixing points as well mate and replace the front cockade with the correct one, also the body cloth is the wrong colour though it could be the photo, looks more grey than police green which is what it should be also the top and visor colour appears to be to light.
Personaly i woudnt bother trying to convert it as a badge alone wil cost you a couple of hundred for a good genuine one and to replace the body covering with police green would be a pain in the arras and never look good.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Herr_Pete

Post by Herr_Pete »

Yeah there's certainly 1 to many things needing replaced. All it has going for it is the shape (sort of) and the leather which even then is ti light a brown in my opinion. I will be happy with my original when I buy it :)
Crazy Feldgendarme

Heres some pictures of mine mate.

GeFoPo
Herr_Pete

Post by Herr_Pete »

Very very nice Shako and in superb condition. The brown leather really is the more attractive. Really looking forward to adding one to my collection. Thank you for sharing the photo's mate.
Crazy Feldgendarme

No probs mine cost £560 ablout 5 years ago

GeFoPo
Crazy Feldgendarme

One on the same e-bay 475 EU without a badge plate

GeFoPo
Crazy Feldgendarme

Have a look here mate a really nice one little or no mothing no cracks and in overall great condition. $1250

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/WaffenSS ... 07366.html

GeFoPo
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

:D Dave that is a nice Shako,I've only got a post war version,black like the pre 1933 issue but with an original badge affixed.A lot of these are sold as original(I got mine from a surplus shop in Dartford for £45)also am I right that the black versions were issued during the war to auxillery police.John
shako.jpg
shako.jpg (107.17 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Crazy Feldgendarme

John i will consult my reference books before i answer the question directly mate, however meanwhile some info.
Pre war when the german states had independant police forces several of them wore all black Shako,s though with there own states badges good references for the police are John Angola and Hugh Page Taylors books Uniforms, Organisation and History of the German Police in 2 vols from Schiffer publishing.

PS im just about to settle down with a nice bottle of Claret :o :shock: 8) :oops: :wink:

GeFoPo
Herr_Pete

Post by Herr_Pete »

I have been looking at quite a few actually. This one is on wehrmacht awards forum http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=597853

Looks pretty nice to me. Granted it's not in mint condition but a Police shako that has been there :P Trying to get in contact with the Treasure Bunker (In Glasgow) as they had one the last time I was in so hoping they still have it as it's much closer haha
Crazy Feldgendarme

John so far as i can acertain yes the Hilfspolitzei wore the all Black vulcan fibre shako after 1940 though i can find few photos of it being worn and yes a good many post war ones are passed of as war time for bloody stupid money.

Herr pete you may have a problem contacting anyone till Wednesday mate cos of the extended bank holiday

GeFoPo
Herr_Pete

Post by Herr_Pete »

Luckily the Treasure Bunker have their own mini forum and just spoke to the owner so chatting with him. Will pop into Glasgow and speak to him during the week and take a look at the Shako.

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”