StuH 42

PaK40

Jagdpanzer 4 L70 (a)

Tiger 1 Mid production

hope you like em.
Steinmetz

Re: Some new builds (1/35th scale)

Post by Steinmetz »

Great models and weathering techniques, there, well done!

Regards,
Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

very nice! :)

which weathering methods did you use?
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
labrador

Post by labrador »

Thanks for your kind words. Koobleguy, i start out by painting a primer coat in flat black over the entire model. This helps add a bit of "visual weight" to the model and is a good base for the shadow areas of the tank. I then paint a lightened shade of the base color (dunkelgelb or in the case of the StuG olivgrun) in a panel shading style leaving areas around the panel seams and under the sponsons in black. The camouflage colors are then airbrushed on the normal way, the model is then painted in a high gloss clear coat to protect the finish and to help the oil wash flow nicely. After this, the entire model is given a wash of black and burnt sienna oils diluted with lighter fluid. i make sure flat panels are washed in downward streaks. excess oils are wiped away with q-tips. q tips are also used to create rain streaks from the oil wash on vertical surfaces. On the dark base coat of the StuG i added a lighter oil wash with white, burnt sienna and yellow ochre - it looks like dust settling into the corners of the StuG. After a day or two drying, the whole model is coated with humbrol matte coat. scratches in the paint are initially done with a fine brush and dark yellow paint. the following paint chips are made by mixing burnt sienna and black pastel chalk powder with Tamiya acrylic thinner. these are painted again with a fine brush over the dark yellow chips and scratches. A q-tip dipped in acrylic thinner can be used to create rust marks and more water marks running down from the paint chips.

For the tracks, a slurry of rust colored pastels is mixed with black nd various other earth shades and applied thickly onto the tracks. pastel powders are also added to vary the shade. When these are dry, the tracks are given a thin wash of black paint. When the entire track slurry is dry, the tracks are drybrushed with tamiya chrome silver and then again washed with black. The rust treatment is also repeated on the mufflers and exhaust.

The tools are touched up with pencil lead on all the metallic surfaces. this concludes the sequence.

black primer quote:

dunkelgelb panel shading:

panel shaded base coat completed:

wash apploed over gloss coat:

streaking the wash:

first layer of paint chips in dark yellow:

some drybrushing to delineate the tires:

first layer of paint chips applied:

preparing the pastel/acrylic thinner mix:

applying second layer of (dark)chips:

pastel track wash:

Hope this helps!

Albert
majorsmith

Post by majorsmith »

really nice work! thanks for the break down of the techniques you used, most useful!
J.Klinsmann

Post by J.Klinsmann »

I have to say .......................bloody beautiful...........superb............what talent you have my friend
3Kp 1st SS PZ Div Second Battle Group

labrador

Post by labrador »

Thanks for the kind comment sir!
nilznl

Post by nilznl »

Where'd the pictures go? :?

I'm grounded by an ankle injury for a while and decided to buy some model kits after a very long time. Was hoping to use this thread as a guide to improving my painting skills!
labrador

Post by labrador »

Weird, i have no idea! will try to re-post them but if you an FB account i can tag you so you can see all of them.

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”