SS-Ranks in the Medical Services

Devoted to all that represent Medics etc..

Moderator: DAS MEDIC

Gren-Schell

SS-Ranks in the Medical Services

Post by Gren-Schell »

Can anyone help me with the following:
1. Can anyone provide me with a list of the SS equivalent rank to those of the Wehrmacht?
2. If you were resuming to duty, who would sign you back on as fit? I.e.; his rank and position.
3. Would SS-Lazarett. Abt.2 B Z 8, i.e. a hospital from the Krakau area, be the main hospital where SS troops would be sent from the fighting around Kharkov?
4. What is the ‘Teillazarett Rabka bei Krakau’?
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
kiler

Re: SS-Ranks in the Medical Services

Post by kiler »

4. Rabka is a well known spa in Poland, near Cracow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabka

so hospital (Lazarett) would not be something strange there.
However, there was also a Sicherheitsdienst (SD) school there, where, quoting Wikipedia:
SS cadets learned cruelty and practiced killing innocent civilians.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Wiki rocks! :roll:
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

kilerp wrote:4. Rabka is a well known spa in Poland, near Cracow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabka

so hospital (Lazarett) would not be something strange there
I knew that someone out there would know. Hello Poland! :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
kiler

Post by kiler »

@Gren-Schell:

Glad I could help :wink: .

@Mikkel:

I find this information from Wiki rather probable, judging from SD methods in occupied Poland (f.e. shooting 100 civilians for one German soldier killed by the Polish resistance).
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

SS Kampfgruppe should have had accompanying medical abteilungs mate. Therefore SS troops would have been treated locally with their units or accompanying medical group. If serious enough, injured soldiers would be transported through unit lines to the HauptVerbandplatz up to a couple of hundred miles away from the fighting. I dont know specifically about the Cracow area, but its likely that for corresponding areas Hauptverbandplatz's would cater for multiple SS and Wehrmacht units. The whole SS medical system worked very much hand in hand with the Wehrmacht, and the majority of medical staff were indeed Wehrmacht themselves, either in SS or Wehrmacht attire. This was the case as the Wehrmacht had historical seniority with military medical matters, so the waffen SS were lumped in with the army, and the Allgemeine SS took over more of the 'social welfare' sector.

To report back to your unit as fit for active service it really depends where youve just come from. From the TVP the duty medical officer would sign you as fit to return to unit; however if you were serious enough to have been taken to the HVP then its likely you would be signed off to an ersatz regiment (reserve unit) for X amount of days by an Oberarzt or above. Naturally at the HVP you would be looking at a doctor who runs a department to be signing you back as fit for active duty as the situation is less pressing than at the frontline hospital (TVP).

Hope this helps
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “Medics......”