I have 2 questions

Moderator: Pirkka

Sean

I have 2 questions

Post by Sean »

1) Did anyone see the doco on Monday on UK-TV History about 'D-Day'? (it was on in the Morning, glad i booked a day of work to be honest) It was quite interesting (kit looked preety sharp) but what really made me smile was seeing a column of Panzer IV rolling down a country lane. These didnt seem like a cut and shut jobby as they had the correct road wheels etc. Just wondering if anybody else watched this?

2)Also quite some time back, i read of a book titled 'From The Volga To The Thames' or something like that, it was about an SS soldiers story from fighting in the east, to surrendering in the west, and eventually joining the British Army in the 50's. now i dont know weather it was a true story or not but i was wondering if anyone else had heard of this book? Or something simalair.
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Gliderinf

Re: I have 2 questions

Post by Gliderinf »

It wasnt bad was it :)

It was a Panzer 3 with a Muzzle break added wasn't it ?
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yes you are correct, im assuming they were borrowed but from who? Seemed like they had quite a budget!
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

I didn't see it, but the Finnish Army has a fairly large WW2 vehicle pool it doesn't mind lending out. Perhaps it was them?
Alternatively it could have Russian stuff from Kubinka but I've heard that that tends to be in a bit of a state.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I dont no weather it was me who thought it, but it seemed as if they only had the one (there was a convoy of 4/5) but it seemed as if some
computer trickery had been used to show the others.

Overall it was a very good programme, it kind of ran along the lines of the Longest Day. It was good to see programme makers who had obviously done some research and actually looked into what kit was used.
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

If I am recalling it right from when I first saw it ages ago, it was a single Pz III (the running Bovington example I think) with a muzzle brake, and CGI used to increase the numbers...

I may be thinking of a different documentary so forgive me if I have wires crossed!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG

Return to “Books, films & other media”