THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER by VÄINÖ LINNA

Moderator: Pirkka

Franz repper

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER by VÄINÖ LINNA

Post by Franz repper »

Here in Finland The Unknown soldier have been bought and read more than any other single book (except the Bible) it has been translated into 14 languages .This is the book that started my intrest into the Finnish wars .The book tells of a Machine gun platoon composed of young conscripts Grumbling,bickering fighting .Väinö linna was a served in such a unit during the 41-44 war with Russia I would even say that this book would be the book that started Pirkka on his Finnish inpression
ImageImageImageImageImage
jmatchlock

Re: THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER by VÄINÖ LINNA

Post by jmatchlock »

Just was watching the movie , GOOD !
You Do Not Know Unless -You try -Image
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Original or remake?
BTW, I suspect that Spielberg was influenced by the remake with the way he shot Saving Private Ryan. Some of the camera techniques are identical.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Pirkka wrote:Original or remake?
BTW, I suspect that Spielberg was influenced by the remake with the way he shot Saving Private Ryan. Some of the camera techniques are identical.
The remake is crap the original is by far the best ,Mind you would like to see what the new film turns out like
jmatchlock

Post by jmatchlock »

I have the 1955 verson with english subs - Very Good ! also have Winter War , Fire and Ice , Ambush , Behind the front Line . and looking for more. Thank You, Jay
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Apart from the 85 remake of Unknown Soldier, which I don't think is that bad, that's about it for Finnish war movies.
At least until Tali-Ihantala 44 comes out anyway.
jmatchlock

Post by jmatchlock »

DVD591409 / Do not have this one - English subs would be nice -

Description:
NOTE! Requires a DVD player able to play region 2. Genre: Document, WAR (K-3) Directed by: Ilkka Ahjopalo. Length: 1h 14min. DVD-picture format: 4:3 DVD-sound format: Stereo (Finnish). Subtitles: NONE. *** MTV:n uutis- ja ajankohtaistoimitus on esittänyt itsenäisyyspäivinä 6.12.2003-2005 sotiemme muistoa kunnioittaen dokumentit: Viimeiset ritarit, Neljä kertomusta helvetistä sekä Vaiettu Sotavankeus. Viimeisissä ritareissa kolme Mannerheim-ristin ritaria kertoo koruttomasti urotöistään, mista he saivat korkeimman mahdollisen kunniamerkin. Dokumentin hahmoksi nousee nuorin ritareistamme, sotamies Eero Seppänen , joka yhdessä taistelussa, haavoittuneena, tuhosi kuusi vihollisen raskasta panssarivaunua ja näin toiminnallaan esti vihollisen läpimurron. Seppänen oli laskemassa ylipäällikkönsä, marsalkka Mannerheimin hautaan. Samoin hän ehti saattaa haudanlepoon rykmenttinsä komentajan ja ritarimerkkinsä suosittelijan, jalkaväenkenraali Adolf Ehrnroothin. Neljä kertomusta helvetistä on rankka dokumentti, jossa neljä jatkosodan neuvostoliittolaisten sotavangeiksi joutunutta miestä muistelee ankaria kohtaloitaan. Dokumentin keskushenkilö on Esko Boxberg, joka joutui alastomana vangiksi ja useiden päivien raa'an kidutuksen kohteeksi. Useiden vankileirien kautta hänen tiensä johti pahamaineisiin lyijykaivoksiin. Hänet vapautettiin vasta puolitoista vuotta sodan päättymisen ja viiden vankeusvuoden jälkeen. Vaietttu sotavankeus kuvaa niiden kauppalaivaston merimiesten kohtaloita, jotka Suomen solmittua erillisrauhan Neuvostoliiton kanssa keväällä 1944 joutuivat Kolmannen Valtakunnan keskitysleireille SS:n ja Gestapon rahtaamina. Arasta aiheesta ei vieläkään tahdota puhua, eikä valtiovalta ole muistanut näitä keskitysleirin helvetin kokeneita noin 400 merenkävijää mitenkään. Keskushenkilönä on entinen merimies Eino Sjöberg, joka kuvailee merimiesten vastaanottoa keskitysleirin portilla: -"Täällä te ette edusta mitään kansallisuutta, täällä te olette pelkkiä numeroja ja kun numero pyyhitään yli, mitään ei jää", tervehti leirin komendantti. Sanojen vakuudeksi SS-miehet pieksivät pahasti vanhan , univormussa olleen suomalaisen merikapteenin.<
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Pirkka wrote:Apart from the 85 remake of Unknown Soldier, which I don't think is that bad, that's about it for Finnish war movies.
At least until Tali-Ihantala 44 comes out anyway.
Voi PERKELE Pirkka you have forgoten two great films Talvi sota (winter war ) and Etulinjan Edessä (Ahead of the front line ) Åke Lindmanin Film about Harry Järv a swedish speaking Finn I like both these Films .We have some Films about Lottas .Sadly we here in Finland have to be careful as we upset the swedish if we make too many War films
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Not at all, JC. If you look at the post above mine, Jay namechecks both of those films. The only one I don't have is one about the Lottas that doesn't have subtitles. Not really my thing anyway :) .
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Pirkka wrote:Not at all, JC. If you look at the post above mine, Jay namechecks both of those films. The only one I don't have is one about the Lottas that doesn't have subtitles. Not really my thing anyway :) .
Whats wrong with Lottas I could realy get into some lottas :? :wink:

Return to “Books, films & other media”