Question abt DAL helmet decals and/or markings?

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Freebooter

Question abt DAL helmet decals and/or markings?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I am no expert so I was wondering if someone could stear me in the right direction: Did the DAK steel helmets have DAK decals on them, or were they painted on or what? I have seen a pic of an original with a handpainted little palm tree DAK emblem and have seen DAK helmet decals for sale. What would be the most authentic route to take if one is making his helmet into a DAK color sceme?
Thanks,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
mario33

Re: Question abt DAL helmet decals and/or markings?

Post by mario33 »

I would leave it without any decals.

To my knowledge, even if 'palm' was applied it was made by painting on, not decals as such. Sometimes just 'adler' was left while overpainting feldgrau helmets.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You will see them oversprayed in sand colour without any decals, oversprayed and the decal left unpainted, oversprayed with decals added.
I dont think I have ever seen a palm tree decal on an original helmet/photograph. I guess there must have been some, just not made it as far as Scunthorpe yet. The eagle and national colours are mostly seen.
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks y'all. I have been scouring the internet for pics, etc, Youtube, etc, and from what I have seen now I think the guys would paint around their Wehrmacht decals or just paint over them. I painted my helmet a sand color with texture, just a repro helmet so it is just a "project".
Later,
FB
One Shot, One Kill!
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

A cool thing to do is to apply the decals pre-paint and then paint over them. If you don't purposely try to cover them up, they will still show through the paint and I've seen several helmets like this. Once you age the paint, it takes on a really nice look.
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I painted it with a sand color with texture, then sort of went over with some paint called "Honey". It looks just like DAK helmet pics I have seen. If anything, I am going to get me a tiny brush or even a little stick and paint the DAK palm tree emblem just as I would if I were a DAK soldier in the field. I will post pics of it soon. I am sort of proud of it if I must say so myself.
Later,
FB
One Shot, One Kill!

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”