New Generation FJ shells

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

carentan

Re: New Generation FJ shells

Post by carentan »

If I had a shell that was in fairly good condition, not rusted through and paper thin, I probably wouldn't use it for re-enacting. If it was cheap and rusted through I'd still probably want to preserve it rather than filling it with fibreglass. There are circumstances in re-enacting I'd use an original, but I'd still need something that was going to take a battering and I'd rather that was a good as it could possibly be in relationship to the original.

Personally, I'd be very interested in a much better repro shell on the market especially one that is a 68 size as well, this sort of development (if the new shell is a vast improvement on the current market) can only be good for the hobby.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

carentan wrote:If I had a shell that was in fairly good condition, not rusted through and paper thin, I probably wouldn't use it for re-enacting. If it was cheap and rusted through I'd still probably want to preserve it rather than filling it with fibreglass. There are circumstances in re-enacting I'd use an original, but I'd still need something that was going to take a battering and I'd rather that was a good as it could possibly be in relationship to the original.

Personally, I'd be very interested in a much better repro shell on the market especially one that is a 68 size as well, this sort of development (if the new shell is a vast improvement on the current market) can only be good for the hobby.
I agree. it's a nightmare trying to find a good shell to fit us small types. Original shells are way out of my financial league. And the crazy thing is that the majority of original stuff is small sizes! :roll:

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Jaws wrote:
carentan wrote: Original shells are way out of my financial league. .

so is alot of reproduction stuff that is on the market.
BPatronen

Post by BPatronen »

Hans

I'm serious...If you find original shells for 300 Pounds Sterling i'll buy them.

Mike
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

ill bear that in mind mike.
Jager Roll

Post by Jager Roll »

Beautiful Helmets but out of my price range. I honestly dont think you will find many reenactors to purchase the shell at that price. I am definitley not knocking the helmet, it is definitley a great reproduction but IMO the price is too high (i definitley recommend brining it down a bit)

Tim
www.fjr3.com
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Hello everyone.
First post here. I'm Yannis, from Greece. My unit is 5./FJR6 in Germany.
From the names and photos I know I've met some of you in Normandy in 2007.

To the topic, I also think they are wonderful helmets and a very worthy effort. As Carentan said this can only be good for the hobby!
I use an original 68 shell, almost always protected by either net or cover, and would love to get my hands on some of these beauties but priced so high I also do not think they will be a huge success among reenactors. I bet though we will see many of them in the future, aged and painted, attempting to be sold as originals.

PS I'm a fanatic SASAK supporter too! :lol:
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
BPatronen

Post by BPatronen »

I bet though we will see many of them in the future, aged and painted, attempting to be sold as originals.

Gentlemen,

All the helmet shells will be marked ET or ckl with an individual serial number. I will make the list available from time to time so they can be tracked. This will aid the collectors when purchasing a so called original.

Regarding the price...

If you were to purchase an ATF helmet for $250
and get a complete custom liner from a dealer (Bill Clinton) for another $250.

You have just invested $500. and you still do not have a correct helmet.

-The straps (or at least the snaps) would need to be replaced.

-The shell metal gauge will be too thin and not painted a correct color and texture

-Limited only to size 71 shell

-The liner band thickness is too thin

-The rubber sponge padding will not be fabric covered

I could go on ...But...

For $100 dollars more you a complete and correct war time issued helmet not a toy helmet. I could make a helmet for $100.

But like they say...You get what you pay for.

Mike

FJ-Werke
carentan

Post by carentan »

In some ways you can say yes, $600 is a lot for a helmet but then some re-enactors buy MGC MP40's for £1,000. It depends on what you want and can afford. I look forward to seeing one in person, that's when you can really assess if the helmets worth every penny.

Hello Yannis I met you in Normandy 2007, hope you are well.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Hello Darren, I'm fine thanks! Hope the same for you! Planning to come to Beltring next year with a mutual friend.

Mike, your points are valid, no question about that and I'm sure you have thought about all what we say before we said it.
My theory was the simple one of lower price-higher sales, especially when dealing with reenactors who, if the US and Continental European forums are any indication of, are ... reluctant to spend money on their hobby and try to cut corners all the time :P
When do you think production will start?
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
BPatronen

Post by BPatronen »

Yannis,

I'll have 10 examples of the size 68 shell available within 30 days. Since I aquire different components from a total of 6 supliers, getting them to deliver at the same time is difficult. However, I do anticipate a faster delivery time once everyone has passed the sample stage in the production process. A couple of these helmets will be in the hands of persons on this forum and I'm sure an independent review will posted.
I expect to be in full production by November/December with 100 units (68-71cm shells) scheduled to be produced.
I will have a website up and running soon dedicated mostly to the Luftwaffe. I inquired about Bill Clinton's site Germanparahelmet.com, but I felt the purchase price was rather excessive. The site will feature uniforms, footware and equipment for the Luftwaffe collector and reenactor.
Stay tuned, I will post updates on this forum.

Mike
cckw-353

Post by cckw-353 »

BPatronen wrote:Hans

I'm serious...If you find original shells for 300 Pounds Sterling i'll buy them.

Mike
...me as well!!! We are talking usable shells, not paper thin relics...but we can keep on dreaming. There are no such shells around any more, not for hat price :(

thanks
Uwe
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

im watching one right now :)
charles wuester

Post by charles wuester »

can someone help a novice out i really hate to ask stupid questions but if you have a size 7 1/2 head 22.5/23 inches what size repro shell and liner should you buy to fit right on your head and what color is correct (apple green,black, or gray ??????)
Please help a novice to not make a mistake and or spend to much on getting started
dagda

Post by dagda »

A lot of repros are a 71 shell anyway regardless of liner size. Colour of helmet really depends on the period and theatre of WW2 your group does.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”