Repro Bergmütze questions

Moderator: les hearn

Obergefreiter Hansch

Re: Repro Bergmütze questions

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

It wouldn't have an RBNr if it was a 1939 dated example Lawrence. Looks more like an M43.
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Peipers cap is a good example of hybrid features that are seen on later issue caps. Outwardly it appears to be an Einheitsmütze with steinnuss buttons, T-badge, etc. A very nice cap!
Last edited by FtrPlt on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Me-109 Jagdflieger

Post by Me-109 Jagdflieger »

Hi guys,
I recived a E-mail back from Hessen and got the following photos of their Bergmutze,
Jonathan
Attachments
inside
inside
brg3.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
side profile
side profile
berg2.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
front
front
Berg.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
Der Jüngling steigt den Berg mit Qual
Die Aussicht ist ihm sehr egal
Hat das Röslein nur im Sinn
Bringt es seiner Liebsten hin
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:It wouldn't have an RBNr if it was a 1939 dated example Lawrence. Looks more like an M43.
Hi kameraden :D

Thanks for your comments, as i say ive only got the one BM so cannot compare,
but i thought the same thing about the RB stamping mark myself as of course these
came mid War, but there is a date near the dark patchy part of the linning (maybe
it was re-issued) but it looks like the other markings have been blotted/iinked out,
very strange ????

Cheers from Peiper :wink:
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Here's my current hiking/climbing cap. It's a modified version of the Janke Luftwaffe Bergmütze. It's made with Heer trikot fabric instead of Luftwaffe blue. I've added my own cap stiffener and will probably put in a full leather sweatband soon.
Last edited by FtrPlt on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Gliderinf wrote:Seeing as GD make each individual hat to order - shouldnt be too hard to send em the pics and ask em to do it :)
Existing pattern/construction only. I've already enquired.
Seanebabes

Post by Seanebabes »

On a slight tangent, does anybody know where to get a 'Cap Cockade' for a Bergmütze? Nobody seems to make or sell them anymore.
Failing that can they be converted from regular M43 type ones?
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Seanebabes wrote:On a slight tangent, does anybody know where to get a 'Cap Cockade' for a Bergmütze? Nobody seems to make or sell them anymore.
Failing that can they be converted from regular M43 type ones?
Do you mean a T-form Eagle and Cockade that is typically seen on Bergmützen or just a Cockade?
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Seanebabes

Post by Seanebabes »

I mean a T-form Eagle and Cockade. Any ideas welcome.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

I received my Lost Battalions Bergmütze earlier this week. Overall a very nice cap and I can see why people like them. In keeping with the theme of this thread, I thought I would post my opinion of it. I’ll preface by stating that I prefer the pre-war/early-war issue cap as opposed to private purchase versions and my opinions will be skewed somewhat, as result. Also, I do not possess an early war example and my hands-on opinion is based upon a mid-war (c.1942) example at a local museum and review of hundreds of period and contemporary photos.

OVERVIEW:
I ordered via the Lost Battalions website and received my cap about a week later. It was well-packaged within a cardboard box and arrived without incident.

My initial impression was of a nicely proportioned Bergmütze (as opposed to various versions of "yet another M43 with short visor" or "$^%#@*$ cap with an oval top). Initial fit was good and just a tad loose. It should shrink slightly as it’s exposed to the weather and sees some wear.

MATERIAL:
The wool is a nice shade of feldgrau with a slight bluish tint to it. The fabric is a twill weave as opposed to flat weave which results in a slightly more coarse feel to it. Fabric weight is a little heavier than a typical original cap but still within what I would view as acceptable.

The lining is a gray medium-weight cotton twill and appears very close to the lining of my M43 cap. The sweatband is made using natural coloured leather. Stitching appears cream-coloured throughout.

PATTERN:
The crown is a very nice teardrop shape. A welcome sight after several decades of repros sporting Bundeswehr-style oval crowns. The wide crown allows the sides to remain vertical rather than incorrectly angled-in as on the M43s.

On my example, the crown height is 10.5cm in front and 7.5cm in the back. The side curtain is 7cm at the back and sides, decreasing to 5cm at the front of the cap. The front scallop begins at the visor.

The visor is 21cm long around its edge and projects 6cm outwards.

Two 15mm reproduction steinnuss buttons are another nice touch. On my hat, the buttons are a darkish brown. I received a second set of buttons that are a lighter tan colour.

The leather sweatband is approximately 19cm long and 60mm tall. The height appears far taller than any original cap I’ve seen with the half-moon sweatband. Most originals appear to be approximately 35-40mm.

Lastly, while there is a reinforcement strip sewn between the lining and wool in the front seam of the cap, it’s not the cloth-wrapped, internal stiffener normally seen in original caps.

CONSTRUCTION:
Like nearly all other reproduction Bermützen, this example has the crown attached in the same manner as an M43. When viewed from the top, the crown appears attached under the sides rather than riding flush with the sides.

On original caps, the crown and body are attached by a double seam that is only visible on the inside of the cap. This is the oft-referred-to “double seam”. Externally, all you can see is the stitching attaching the lining to the sides and crown.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
A very solid, professionally made cap that should hold up quite well for reenactment and/or hiking purposes.

While the cap does have some authenticity issues, perhaps most telling is Lost Battalions response to my enquiries about improving the cap. Ray is quite eager to address the areas brought up (crown seam, full leather band, cap stiffener). His view is that these are minor corrections which can be incorporated into production quite quickly and require no changes to pattern, etc. All he requires is an original cap to look over so they can determine exactly how the seam was done. Regrettably, I don’t possess an original example. If I did it would already be on the way to them. Hopefully, one can be located and the changes implemented. Short of sourcing the early sea-foam wool, I can’t imagine any other changes.

Even with the issues brought up here, this cap is still way ahead of the other caps I’ve had. If the recommended changes are implemented, I think this will be about as close as we'll see to a 'perfect' cap. Short of one being made in early-war, seafoam fabric, that is!

Last edited by FtrPlt on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Me-109 Jagdflieger

I got my Bergmutze the other day from Hessian Antique, while im not a expert on hats this one is realy well made and I am quite pleased with it, I will post some pictures later tonight
Jonathan
Bringt es seiner Liebsten hin
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Bergkameraden,

I was just going through the "Traders" links on this site and found a Bergmütze that 'Soldier of Fortune' is selling. Has anyone bought one of these from them?

Berg Heil!
PK
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

I've got a SOF one and it is aceptable for the price. The edelweiss is very bad, obviously. It has the sweat band and the visor has a good shape. I would say that the laterals go too far to the front.
Anyway, one of the best options for the beginner!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Me-109 Jagdflieger

As promised pics of my Hessen Antique Bergmütze,
Edit... Hmm pics do not want to show heres a link to some of the photos,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwaffep ... 876200407/
Jonathan