EAST OF ENGLAND TANK MUSEUM 7/8 JUNE 2008

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

Re: EAST OF ENGLAND TANK MUSEUM 7/8 JUNE 2008

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Cottiebottie is on site as I type
I've just got in from Wurk!
I'll be there in the morning.
Cottster, Danny Madasaboxoffrogs, Grinkmeister and Da Stig! What a team!!!!!!

Hoping this weather keeps up!

See ya all there!
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

TIGER RIDER wrote:
Casbah Rock wrote:Due to work I wont be there till saturday afternoon :roll:

no worries mate..any problems then call us..(number on recent posts.)
greg.
Cheers - Number saved to mobile to be used in case of emergency ;)
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Arriived Friday just after lunch, it was drizzling, grey and looked as if it was in for the weekend. Shame I thought as I drove in because the location was beautiful.

East of England Military Museum, to give it it's proper title, is in the marvelous setting of the Elveden Estate, 55,000 acres of English countryside. The museum is run by dedicated enthusiasts on an absolute shoestring with little or no money from outside. So let's not pull our punches - it's basic. But what makes up for that is the people. They are a great bunch, they pull together, they have made something and are working constantly to raise the standard and make the grade. Their indoor museum is laid out extraordinarily well and contains some great exhibits themed on major conflicts. Having visited museums worldwide I can safely say this impressed me. Small yes - but containing worthwhile and interesting exhibits, displayed professionally? YES!
The outside collection was described in my earshot by a visitor as scrap. Fair comment? Well seeing as he was standing by a Challenger prototype, a Centurion and a Charioteer, I think NOT! In 1946, all the Panthers, PzIVs Stugs and Tigers etc. were seen as scrap....... All the Shermans, Comets, Churchills and Cromwells were called in and broken up or sold off to minor league countries..... as scrap...... but now, 60 years on they are prized and revered items..... Historic vehicles! As will be the vehicles Shaun and his team have rescued and put into storage ready for restoration.

So that's the Museum - Small, well run, struggling to stay alive but extremely worthwhile and deserving of help and support.

Friday saw many re-enactors start to arrive, trenches were allocated, display pitches sorted and tents began edging their way skywards in the ever deepening gloom and wetness..... The bar was literally being finished throughout the afternoon which again is testament to the dedication of the museum people..... A pool table stood at one end, clean and ready for use.... more of that later.....

The re-enactor team, Gregg, Daniel, Myself and Stig had to make do with our accomodation which was in fact a 1940s prefab bungalow attached to one of the large sheds..... Piccies to come! Mind - we had to tell Dan off for leaving the radiator on while we were out and also using all the hot water in the shower! It's hell roughing it as a re-enactor these days! :twisted:

Saturday dawned after a drink or two and the weather still Piss-isted! More folks turned up and the Museum guys towed and drove vehicles out to put on displays. The 88 was otherwise engaged it seemed at Woolwich so the FRAU got a Bofors which had seen German Service and it seemed to please them (you see boys - it's true - size DOES matter!). The Pak 38 was towed up to the SBG trenches and emplaced in a superb low position just as it would have been - If only we could have had a T34 on that battlefield! There appeared to be a spare PaK36 (like you do!) and as the Soviets had a sexy little AT gun parked on their display I immediately answered Shaun's enquiry aboiut where to put it with ....... nah - not that old cliche! - On Das Reich's stall. My little ploy worked and that wierd bugger Neily baby immediately fell in love with it - now want's to adopt it and if all goes to plan should be starting physiotherapy on its bad leg very shortly!!!!! Hope it all works out for ya Neil! :wink:

Not many public turned up on Saturday but we didn't care ( :evil: ) it was an oldfashioned show and people were getting down and digging it. Panzer Lehr made a showing but sans kraftfahrwagen....... Soldat 44 established a small forward reporting position and engaged in some heavy sarcasm and the odd patrol into witty banter territory - As ever - a pleasure to see, hear and be invited to partake! Warsaw Pact Forces did a weird thing! Turned up, hid in a hut and then half of them left!. To his credit, Alex and two comrades stayed behind to make a decent showing in front of the T55 so urrah in small letters there!
The Railsplitters as Foxhole 44 put on an Ardennes display along the woodland track - Small be very well formed - Tommy Atkins pitched camp and represented our PBI and out next to the tank driving area the irrepressible, often imitated, never bettered, fun, funky, fantastic, controversial Sweeney come and get some you slag SBG did their usual, superb trench display and made it look and feel like you were really there. Did I miss anyone? Well I haven't named 2nd Guards yet - Down in a hollow, near the main gate, 2nd Guards had a tented camp - These guys are putting Soviet on the map. every time I see them they just get better and better. (and bigger!) Les Hearn and the 85 Gebirgs came to see us and shared Das Reich's space. All in all the event was well attended.

The bar on Saturday evening was - well - slightly surreal - Greg put on a Pool competition but as we were all fed up of the rain no one bothered to change and swimming was off the menu -(wah wah wahahahahaha!) No - 8 teams competed and despite one team going absent, their opponents being put through by default, a subsequent stewards enquiry and the decision being challenged in a court of law - someone won then promptly donated their prize money back to the museum! A pub quiz yielded similar results and despite constant heckling, quips, innuendo, slanderous remarks about the parentage of Mister Cottee and some fat old git giving everyone a dressing down! :oops: it was a funny and entertaining interlude - Bob Hymer (Pirkka) is due a massive thank you for writing an excellent set of questions WWF have started proceedings agains Edison on the elephant's behalf and 2nd Guards won only to donate their prize back to the museum as stated. Gregg furnished a small but perfectly formed trophy and the Editor of Military Modelling forgot to judge the competition so Shaun and the officials exchanged quick mental notes (and we all know about how mental Danny's notes are!) It came down to three - 2nd Guards, Das Reich and Foxhole 44 - then it went to the wire with 2nd Guards and Foxhole 44 - Finally Foxhole 44 emerged victorious due to their constant manning of those holes in the rain with no shelter other than dripping cam nets! Well done the Railsplitters!

Sunday brought with it sticky humid sunshine as the puddles evaporated. Everyone rose and as the rays wormed their damp bones and bedrolls, the spirits lifted even higher.
SBG held their usual parade. then went off for a march (bloody hell! how fast?) displays started to get businesslike and Lo! the public started to turn up!

Glorious sunshine rewarded those who presevered. The 40s dancers turned up and began boogieing shufflilng stroling and lindying next to the refreshment tent.... The museum kicked some tanks into life and SBG & 2nd Guards had a scrap! the event ended on a high.

Saturday raised £70 for the museum - an anonymous donor put in £40 to push it over hte £100 mark so thanks to them - you know who you are! Another benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous put £50 over the bar to bring the price of drinks down for a while. This encouraged sales and £400 went over the bar with three resupply runs having to be done! Add this to Friday's £200 bar take, meals and refreshments and the gate on Sunday and hopefully the Museum will have had a respectable amount added to its coffers.

All in all, up until now I'd thought this year was being wierd and low key. Attending the EoE and soaking up the vibe - I'm much happier about how the year's gonna go.

MASSIVE thanks to all who made the effort and a stuck with the show. it was a good show, worthwhile, rough around the edges and back to basics. The Museum crew are so accomodating and will do as much as they can to ensure we get a good time - Shaun's first question every time we met was "Is everyone happy?" He DOES care about re-enactors - Give him some support next year please - 10 minutes drive from the A11 - So don't believe them when they tell you it's at the arse end of nowehere.... Cos it's not!

2009 will see AFRA recommending this gig - we will supply some bangs and FX and do our bit to make SBG/2nd Gds scrap even more exciting. People working together make a difference and I'm not spouting propaganda - I'm describing the EoE show 2008!

Well done everyone!

PD.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

A BIG BIG thanks to the team here and at EoE for a great little show. Rain though it did (in spades diamonds and clubs) it didnt dampen our spirits too much.
Public was virtually none existant on Saturday (who could blame them?) but a sunny sunday brought quite a few through the door.
I would recommend this show to anyone:

A well laid out area for displays
A battlesite with masses of potential for some terrific action
A museum with some existing good displays
A team of great lads and lasses worthy of our support

Get yourselves there next year!

Again, thanks to Gregg, PD, Dan and Stig for the hard yards under difficult conditions, some fast improv, and a positive attitude to all.
Could be a dream team for show organisation? :wink:
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
TIGER RIDER
Administrator

Post by TIGER RIDER »

well wat can i say after that report from paul.

JUST A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR MAKING IT A WORTHWHILE SHOW.THE GROUPS IN ATTENDANCE MADE MY JOB A WHOLE LOT EASIER,THE STAFF MADE IT WORTHWHILE,THE BATLE WAS REMINISENT OF THOSE SMALL BUT PERFECT SKIRMISHES WHICH GOES TO SHOW THAT EXPERIENCED RE-ENACTORS HAVE A LOT TO OFFER.

PAUL HAS SUMMED UP THE WEEKEND FOR ME AND THE SHOW.

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY A FEW THANKYOU"S.

TO MY TEAM.
DANNY,PAUL AND STIG.THESE GUYS WERE UN-SUNG HEROES ALL WEEKEND..RUNNING ABOUT FOR ME GETTING THINGS DONE AND LIASING WITH THE GROUPS AND STAFF FOR ME WHEN I WAS TIED UP WITH OTHER MATTERS(LIKE HOLDING MY HEAD IN MY HANDS AND WEEPING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!!)
TO PAUL AND STIG WHO MADE A COUPLE OF PYROS GO A LONG WAY!!!
TO DANNY WHO ALTHOUGH MAD AS A BAG A FROGS IS ONE OF THE BEST GUYS TO HAVE ALONG SIDE.(AND ONE HELLUVA OF A DRAGON VACCUN PACKED FIGURE..PICS LATER WILL EXPLAIN!!)
TO SCOTT(314) FOR TURNING UP SUNDAY AND OFFERING HIS HELP WITH THE TEAM EVEN THOUGH HE WAS THERE TO EXPERIENCE AN EVENT..THE DEFINATE FUTURE OF OUR HOBBY LIES IN THIS LAD!!
TO THE GROUPS....THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT...COULDNT DONE THE SHOW WITHOUT YER(THANKS TO DAS-REICH FOR THE EXTRA PYRO"S)
TO MY BOYS..S.B.G...AS ALWAYS A ROCK TO ME AT ANY SHOWS I DO AND ALWAYS A FUNNY WORD TO CHEER ME UP.(TIMMO!!!!!!) AND TO WARREN FOR NOT NOTICING MY SUDDEN PROMOTION UNTIL LATE SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!HA!HA!

TO THE WINNERS OF THE POOL(FROM TOMMY ATKINS) WHO DONATED THEIR WINNIGNS BACK..THANKS.
TO 2ND GUARDS WHO TOO DONATED WINNINGS BACK.....THANKS
TO BOB FROM 2ND GUARDS WHO"S HELP ON THE QUIZ WAS ABOVE AND BEYOND...THANKS MATE :wink:
TO ANGELS 15 WHO ALTHOUGH TUCKED AWAY BY THE SPITFIRE PUT ON A GREAT DISPLAY AND ENTERED THE CHALLENGES WITH SPIRIT...THANKS
TO LOU AND THE GIRLS....WHOOOARRR!!!!!THAT UNIFORM!!!
TO PANZER LEHR FOR THE ROUND OF APPLAUSE AT MINE AND PAULS "OFFICER" STRIDE!!! ON SAT
TO SOLDAT 44 ALSO FOR THEIR APPLAUSE AT ME AND PAUL(EXPECT TO SEE THIS DONE EVERYWERE NOW!!)
TO W.P.F.G. FOR ONCE AGAIN THEIR SUPPORT IN ANOTHER EVENT I HAVE TAKEN ON.
AND TO FOXHOLE 45..WELL DONR LADS..ENOUGH SAID I THINK..YOU DESERVED IT!!!.

THINK THATS EVERYONE!!!

OH FINALLY TO THE MEAUSEUM TEAM

YOU NO WHO YOU ALL ARE..THE PEOPLE IN THE FOREFRONT AND TO ALL THEIR VOLUNTEERS...A BIG THANKS FOR MAKIN ALL OF US FEEL SO WELCOME AND DONATING ALL YOUR TIME TO OUR HOBBY.

P.S.GUYS I THINK I LEFT THE SKY PLUS ON WHEN I LEFT!!!!

CAN SOME ONE PASTE THIS OVER TO CHRI"S FORUM PLEASE..THANKS..GREG.
wir sind an besten,weil wir das furchtlose sind...........member of S.B.G.
sharff.(cant spell it)roffman
MEMBER OF A.F.R.A.
102nd cavarly.(N44)
combat engineers.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Greg for the promotion , i pardon you :lol: :lol: :wink: , must admit mate you and Mr Hoff look mighty impressive in the great coats just above the SBG trench :twisted: 8) , good to meet you two and as i said i the other post great event even better atmosphere from all the reenactors 8)

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

TIGER RIDER wrote:

CAN SOME ONE PASTE THIS OVER TO CHRI"S FORUM PLEASE..THANKS..GREG.

Done as requested :)
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Fritz bayerlein

Post by Fritz bayerlein »

On behalf of all attending P Lehr members, a huge thankyou to all involved in making this little gem of an event so good.
Everyone seemed to do there bit, and were more than happy to help each other.
A great little friendly gig.
Put us down for next year!

Mod edit.....
I'm sure THIS is the photo you MEANT to put up!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rompa.jpg
Love & Bullits PD

[130] Panzer Lehr reg 902 Unit Leader
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Great pictures well done people , looking forwards to next year already and hopefully i will be able to stay the w/end .

ps anyone got any pictures of the SBG FG ? we was walking around all saturday .

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Just in
The museum are pleased to report that they made £1360 after all the pennies were counted.

They would like to express their deep gratitude to all who came, endured the drizzle and maade the whole event a success.

It may not seem a lot to some but it means that the EoE can start some projects off with that sum. This shows how important it is to some venues.

Gregg is already making plans for next year - there are talks about moving the date so as not to clash with the 65th Anniversary of D-Day..... this means we hope to get more Allied participation and extend the display areas........

As soon as he gets more info he will be asking for interested parties to register.......

Big thanks then from Shaun and his team - Good Old School Show!
andy85th

Post by andy85th »

The 85th Gebirgs had a great time and thanks to Das Reich lads (& lasses) for letting us be on there display. A big shout for Greg and his time for putting on a great show. So what if it rained all day saturday we all enjoyed the weekend. See you there next year :lol: . Can we have a mountain next year. :roll:

Return to “UK reenactment and events”