Historian 'posed as a war hero'

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Close your eyes and he actually sounds like Truman Capote ....but on the upside at least we now know who told them to put the beach obstacles in the wrong way in SPR.
He maintains he was a military adviser to Saving Private Ryan. He said: "I was contacted by them - the art department - of the film. They were doing the Normandy Beaches. "They were putting up some obstacles. They weren't sure which way to put them. They phoned me up at the Imperial War Museum. There was no fee, hence I didn't get a credit."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 130351.stm

Mr Livesey was interviewed by the BBC during 25th anniversary commemorations of the Falklands WarA military historian who posed as a war hero has been exposed as a fantasist.Jack Livesey claimed he won the Military Medal while serving in the Parachute Regiment.

The Cambridgeshire author's website boasted: "He joined the Army, where, thanks to his shooting skills, he found himself in the Parachute Regiment. "This was his life for the next 20 years, including five tours of duty in Northern Ireland, where he won the MM, and the Falklands War, where he served with the 2nd Battalion." However, the Ministry of Defence confirmed Mr Livesey served in the Army Catering Corps for less than three years. He was exposed after an ex-Para tipped off the Cambridge Evening News. Former veterans told the BBC they were upset by the way he paraded his medals.

'Sad memories'

He fooled the public for years and built up his career as a military author and battlefield tour guide on his Army career. Two years ago, the former soldier was a guest of honour at the 25th anniversary commemorations of the Falklands War at the Imperial War Museum. He spoke to BBC Look East at the time, saying: "Being here, it is very difficult because you have got lots of happy memories and also lots of sad memories and it is a day to come to terms with that particular war and that incident in my life."

Derek Cole, from the Falklands Veterans Foundation, said: "We have checked through our list of people who served there and he doesn't come up anywhere. "I think it is disrespectful to pretend they served in the force when they haven't. "There are painful memories that people remember. If somebody purports to have done it, it is disrespectful." I think it is disrespectful to pretend they served in the force when they haven't

Derek Cole

Malcolm Simpson, MBE, was 2 Para RSM during the Falklands, said: "I knew every single soldier in the Parachute Regiment 2nd and 3rd that were awarded a Military Medal. He doesn't come into the picture. "There were nine men in the regiment who were given the Military Medal and Livesey is not on the list. I knew every man in the regiment and I cannot remember him." Jack Livesey has authored a number of military books, including Armoured Fighting Vehicles of World Wars I and II. He has advised a number of military films, but some of those claims have also been questioned.

His website states: "Jack was military adviser for the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan." However, his name is not included in the full cast list for the Stephen Spielberg film. For seven years, Mr Livesey worked at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, first as a volunteer, and then as a collections assistant until 2006.

Record 'not pertinent'

A museum spokesman said: "I can't comment on his military record. That was not a qualification for the job. "All of those roles were based on a knowledge of history, and particularly Second World War. His military record wasn't pertinent to the museum. He left of his own accord." An MoD spokesman said: "Our records indicate that Jack Livesey (DOB 15/05/54) only served in the British Army in the Army Catering Corps from December 1971 until April 1974." Speaking to Look East outside his home, Mr Livesey stood by the website information: "I have sent off for my military records to prove it. I have never claimed to be in the Paras. I was attached to the Paras. I was attached to the airborne brigade." He maintains he was a military adviser to Saving Private Ryan.

He said: "I was contacted by them - the art department - of the film. They were doing the Normandy Beaches. "They were putting up some obstacles. They weren't sure which way to put them. They phoned me up at the Imperial War Museum. There was no fee, hence I didn't get a credit."

Later Mr Livesey told us, through a solicitor, he had a letter from the Army confirming he had been in the Intelligence Corps for 20 years, but could not reveal the proof because of the Official Secrets Act. The Army has issued a further denial to his claims.
Hans Gowert

Re: Historian 'posed as a war hero'

Post by Hans Gowert »

i like the last paragraph :)

'Later Mr Livesey told us, through a solicitor, he had a letter from the Army confirming he had been in the Intelligence Corps for 20 years, but could not reveal the proof because of the Official Secrets Act. The Army has issued a further denial to his claims.
Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Haha, What a lie telling mong.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I feel really sorry for people like him who have to fabricate an alternate life............. A very very sad individual.
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

yeah dressin' up and wearin' medals and pretendin' t' be soldier...

...I'll get me M36
Sean

Post by Sean »

I knew that was coming :lol:
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
grenadier heeder

Post by grenadier heeder »

To most of the British Army he is well known already.

He is known to them as a "Walt"
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

thing is tho, is it true tho ?

alright he could of fabricated the story about winning the MM , to perk up his mysterious military career, but could he of been in the intelligence corp,, we will never know :P
grenadier heeder

Hans Gowert wrote:thing is tho, is it true tho ?

alright he could of fabricated the story about winning the MM , to perk up his mysterious military career, but could he of been in the intelligence corp,, we will never know :P

No, he's "walt". There is a recent photo of him with a RM beret on and blazer. His medals are wrongly positioned (a classic waltism). He also has some period photos of himself (blurred and indistinguishable as him) in Port Stanley. Although he says he's a RM, the person he pupports to be himself is clearly wearing a maroon beret; ergo a Para.

The intelligence Corps thing is a smokescreen to cover this liar's spin about him being a war hero. Walt!
grenadier heeder

By the way, for those of you not familiar with the term Walt, here is a very informative section from the Army rumour service.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Sean wrote:I feel really sorry for people like him who have to fabricate an alternate life............. A very very sad individual.

Its a growth industry in Australia and NZ ....

http://www.anzmi.net/
The identity of this dapper ex Sailor who was snapped at the Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne on ANZAC Day 2009. We would like to interview this man as to the provenance of his medals. He must have some great stories about the Victoria Cross shown on his right shoulder and the Cross of Valour on his left breast. He is a man who has been around, we notice Korea, Malaysia. Vietnam and a Dutch Medal among the mix. One would think that the many thousands of veterans attending the Shrine on that day would have pulled this very interesting person aside and at least asked for his autograph. Our enquiries have foundered, we need help to identify him. The medals need provenance and we need the name of the sailor.
Attachments
Anzac%20Day%2009.jpg
Anzac%20Day%2009.jpg (113.76 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

thats alot of medals
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Hummm... not sure about the medals. However, he might have received a head wound and .... :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

its a very small world when it comes to ex military, someone will allways know somebody so walts beware!

there are ways to say things and places you will never forget, so it is very easy to find one out, parachutes are allways a good one for people who claim to be ex paratroopers "what parachute did you use!" :lol:
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

ssparatrooper wrote:its a very small world when it comes to ex military, someone will allways know somebody so walts beware!

there are ways to say things and places you will never forget, so it is very easy to find one out, parachutes are allways a good one for people who claim to be ex paratroopers "what parachute did you use!" :lol:
Or if you are ex-SBS and a MM winner..... :wink: :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!

Return to “Internet and links”