ANT-Z/ Pirschen- Heer tunics

Moderator: Feldjager

SchutzeHagemann

ANT-Z/ Pirschen- Heer tunics

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Note: This must be the 4th or 5th new topic about this maker, but I have yet to find a post that goes into detail about his Heer tunics. I am sorry for the repetitiveness.

I was planning on buying a tunic from LB, but, well you guys know. Then, I looked at the On the March tunics. Look great, may be the perfect tunic out there. But then I looked at the wait time: 24 months- yeah right. This brings me to Sturm and Ant-Z. Sturm is also out because I already have a tunic from them and dislike it very much. So here is the question. How do Ant-Z tunics compare to the real thing? I don't want to know how the LB tunics may be superior to Ant-Z or vise versa, just how it is like or unlike a real Feldbluse.

I have heard some good things about them and not too many bad things, so if everyone could pull out there Ant-Z tunics and originals (if possible) I would appreciate it.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
GD,obergrenadier

Re: ANT-Z/ Pirschen- Heer tunics

Post by GD,obergrenadier »

Schutze,I haven't had the chance to pickup any of Pirsens products yet,however I have been able to handle and inspect some of his stuff that others in my Kompanie have bought,I have to say I'm impressed, His 43 fieldbluse is very good (to me that is) in overall quality,I personly find his wool to be a bit too "green" for my taste (I haven't seen his "late war" wool so I can't comment on that)the basic tailering appears to be correct (belt hook holes in correct location that sort of thing)a neat touch I like is the basic insignia sewing (eagle and litzen)is nicely done (All of the tunics I've inspected were 43s from Hessen antique and they offer the basic insignia as an option) I admit freely that its been many years since I've owned origainal tunics (2 m43s 1 m40 and a totaly beat half to death m36)as far as I can remember Pirsens tunics are extremly close to origainals,Pirsens hosen on the other hand I can't comment on (nobody had bought any)although the pictures on the Hessen website seem to indicate that they fall short of ideal,odd looking tailering that sort of thing. Overall Hessen might be your best bet (in the US anyway)and the price is exellent. Just my take on this subject. Ps,why the dislike for Sturm tunics? they really aren't bad (if your over 5'10" with arms like a Gorilla) :roll:.
SchutzeHagemann

GD,obergrenadier wrote:Schutze,I haven't had the chance to pickup any of Pirsens products yet,however I have been able to handle and inspect some of his stuff that others in my Kompanie have bought,I have to say I'm impressed, His 43 fieldbluse is very good (to me that is) in overall quality,I personly find his wool to be a bit too "green" for my taste (I haven't seen his "late war" wool so I can't comment on that)the basic tailering appears to be correct (belt hook holes in correct location that sort of thing)a neat touch I like is the basic insignia sewing (eagle and litzen)is nicely done (All of the tunics I've inspected were 43s from Hessen antique and they offer the basic insignia as an option) I admit freely that its been many years since I've owned origainal tunics (2 m43s 1 m40 and a totaly beat half to death m36)as far as I can remember Pirsens tunics are extremly close to origainals,Pirsens hosen on the other hand I can't comment on (nobody had bought any)although the pictures on the Hessen website seem to indicate that they fall short of ideal,odd looking tailering that sort of thing. Overall Hessen might be your best bet (in the US anyway)and the price is exellent. Just my take on this subject. Ps,why the dislike for Sturm tunics? they really aren't bad (if your over 5'10" with arms like a Gorilla) :roll:.
Thank you for the review (sorta :) )

I dislike Sturm because of the details on the tunics. Belt hook holes are weird, pockets seem too spread out, the wool is off to me. And the button holes are too small. I know they are easy fixes (some of them) but I am already selling my Sturm tunic to another reenactor.

However, I do love my M43 mutze from At the front. I'm not sure if it is Sturm but it may be.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

You could also try one of our new range of Heer tunics. Same quailty wool and tailoring as Chens but a slightly less green shade of field grey. Same price or cheaper than you will be able to pick up an Antz tunic from one of his suppliers. I will be posting pics of our M43 Heer tunic as soon as I get chance.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

SchutzeHagemann

dog green 1 wrote:You could also try one of our new range of Heer tunics. Same quailty wool and tailoring as Chens but a slightly less green shade of field grey. Same price or cheaper than you will be able to pick up an Antz tunic from one of his suppliers. I will be posting pics of our M43 Heer tunic as soon as I get chance.
Looking forward to seeing your tunic.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

The trousers:

Chubby fly buttons, more like the old chinese made stug trousers type. And they are cut a little too wide in the leg. The material is considered to be a little too minty green, but to be honest I dont think this is too big a deal. They are good trousers for fragging to death in the mud etc - well, they were when they were cheap and not insanely jacked up by vendors struggling to meet profit margins.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Have they fixed the problem with the trousers being low waisted? They were cut like jeans not high waisted at all.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:The trousers:

Chubby fly buttons, more like the old chinese made stug trousers type. And they are cut a little too wide in the leg. The material is considered to be a little too minty green, but to be honest I dont think this is too big a deal. They are good trousers for fragging to death in the mud etc - well, they were when they were cheap and not insanely jacked up by vendors struggling to meet profit margins.
I think you'll find as well Tom, since Chen signed his deal with Hessen, dealers were forced to up thier prices due to new sales terms and conditions. I could show you what we were expected to retail his items for but theres no need as I have a new supplier.

Material is also a nicer shade of field grey and not so 'Minty Green' I'll try and take a comparison shot of our new tunic against one of Chens. Saying all that I still think Chens M36's are the nicest available for that early war look. The green shade only lets his later war items down.

dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

I think most of Chens trousers had addressed that problem. My new supplier also makes them with the higher waist as they should be. Both are good quailty, it's just a matter of choice.

Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Stigroadie wrote:Have they fixed the problem with the trousers being low waisted? They were cut like jeans not high waisted at all.

My ones were never low waisted mate. But then he might have addressed this before I purchased off him last year? But I honestly dont know that.

Doggy1 - I understand what your saying, but will I ever be able to physically order a pair off you if I need them? :lol:
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

The ones I bought as a test were. Utter junk. This was a couple of years ago when the Ant-Z frenzy was just starting.
Forums were full of praise for how wonderful this stuff was. I bought some and it was poor. The trousers particularly so. Yes, it was cheap but it was cheap and crap. The tunic was passable if you can live with the colour, rather too mint green for me but not an awful cut. I lend my tunic out when needed, never worn it myself. I have seen some strange effects with Ant-Z stuff if you convert a colour picture to B+W.
There have been many claims that this has been improved and that has been fixed. I cant be bothered wasting money on them anymore esp. as they are not so cheap these days. I'd rather spend some more money and buy something that is consistent, tried and trusted.
I have bought other Ant-Z stuff, mostly his terrible attempts at pea dot. None of it is worth the effort. Especially his latest version. It's a very poor copy of the Panther store stuff that is not the same colour and the print is getting on for 50% too large. Some copy?
I must have 4 full suits of Ant-Z stuff, not one of which I'd wear to a re-enactment.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Ive had two chen tunic both m42s. The first was the lighter "mint green one" and I really didnt like the colour. Luckily it was too big anyway and I ended up returning it. My second one was of the newer batch with a better colour and its the tunic I currently use now. Its an improvement on the mint greed and the cut seems pretty good. I had it on at beltring and Richard Underwood had a good look at it. Overall he said he was quite impressed and that he thought it was a nice cut, but he felt it was still too light for an M42 tunic. Tbh im not sure what else is easily availible apart from chen or sturm. I cant afford Janke, Richards new range of tunics just havent materialised, sturm is a no go and on the march literally takes years. So what else is there? Spearhead maybe? Ive never seen any of there stuff close up.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

The stuff I will be getting in are niether Sturm or Chens. The cut and material are the same as Chens latset batch, however they are a much nicer shade of field grey. A lot less 'Green'. I still have one of Chens tunics so I'll take a comparrison shot next to one of our new ones. Chens are fine for early war, especialy if its the M36 with stone grey trousers, they look really good together. Chens M44's in the late war wool are also still the nicest on the market. However for any other kind of tunic I think the new ones I will be getting in now offer the best value for money.

Items will be coming in slowly as my new supplier is buildiing up his range over time. Also 2010 was a prettty crap year for myself with all the trouble with Chen and supplies. However I am more than happy with the uniforms that I can now get and will try to build up a decent stock level early 2011 in time for next years season.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:Then, I looked at the On the March tunics. Look great, may be the perfect tunic out there. But then I looked at the wait time: 24 months- yeah right.
She also has an "economy" line.
SchutzeHagemann

Erich Johann wrote:
SchutzeHagemann wrote:Then, I looked at the On the March tunics. Look great, may be the perfect tunic out there. But then I looked at the wait time: 24 months- yeah right.
She also has an "economy" line.
Yes, but how long do they take to make as well? You'll still be in line for a tunic for 2 years. But she does have a limited amount of tunics already made for sale.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”