The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Hoffman Grink

The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Is it me or do other people notice that nowadays the title of this thread seems to be true?
Does there seem to be a growing cancer of people who value "collectible" items only for the monetary value they accrue or command rather than their intrinsic value or the historical or even sentimental value they hold?

Does function and form matter less now than pounds and euros?

Are we now overrun by "investment collectors" and covert dealers amassing stock to trade?

Discuss if you wish.
BedsnHerts

Re: The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

Post by BedsnHerts »

Are you thinking of anything in particular?

With the exception of the odd e-bay trader trying to make a killing from certain people's ignorance of market value, I can't say I've noticed any area of militaria collectibles that have appreciated at a startling rate. Surely the expensive stuff like helmets and medals have always been expensive in relative terms.

I think a lot of people are more cautious with what they spend on these days and will justify a purchase with the line "it's an investment". Maybe it is, but that doesn't mean it's a particularly good investment or that it's the only reason they bought it.
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

It's inevitable that when any type of item starts to command a high price in relation to it's actual 'intrinsic' value, 'dealer' types are going to spot an opportunity and so it goes on... (.obviously German stuff has always had a following and been valued higher than any other type of 'militaria' .. probably initially due to it's inbuilt natural beauty ! ) ...As soon as something becomes a 'commodity' it's then traded as such, to the highest bidder, by those who couldn't give a flying f++k for the items themselves...much to the frustration of those who love and appreciate it for it's own sake and all the history it contains !
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

I'm on the fence about the concept of "intrinsic value". Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but value is something else entirely. To quote Enoch Powell: "If people value something, it has value; if people do not value some­thing, it does not have value; and there is no intrinsic about it."
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

The value comes in several forms
Monetary Value
Sentimental Value
Aesthetic Value
Historical Value

I am seeing a growing emphasis on purely the monetary value of items both original and repro. That is all.
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

You're absolutely right re monetary value, I'd suggest prob ebay is a prime offender for the current escalation of the purely monetary value idea of stuff in many people's view...
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

From what i have noticed recently while "thinning" out my stuff, dealers wont pay up
for gear, they want it for half the market price, infact it has annoyed me so much
i had given up selling half the stuff after suffering losses on things, everybody wants
something for nothing, my advice is if you have any items try selling them yourselves
dont go to "dealers" as you will only be disapointed or ripped off !!!! :evil: grrrrrrrr

Good luck, Peiper
OliverVU

Post by OliverVU »

Who gives a crap about a no-decal M42 helmet when you can have a double-decal M35 for three times the price? It adds prestige, but is it not the historic value why we collect things?
barryG

Post by barryG »

Its happening everywhere, Im into classic cars and have been for over 20 years. I buy and run them cos I love them, however investors are buying them purely to make money. They dont use them and have no attatchment to them. The problem is, its forced prices up and genuine enthusiasts are being priced away.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

I just tell my girlfriend my collecting is 'investing'.... :D
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:I just tell my girlfriend my collecting is 'investing'.... :D
Do you manage to keep a straight face when you say it! :lol:
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

I have never sold anything I have obtained through friends or relatives.
I have sold and bought, but the personal aspect means something to me.

I think it comes down to if you are a business dealer or a collector.
A collector will collect something which they know is important and they will keep it. A dealer will make a quick buck.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

John Wilson wrote:I have never sold anything I have obtained through friends or relatives.
I have sold and bought, but the personal aspect means something to me.

I think it comes down to if you are a business dealer or a collector.
A collector will collect something which they know is important and they will keep it. A dealer will make a quick buck.
Well said John, However just look at the for sales section I think it speaks for itself people buy, collect and then sell at a later stage, personally I have a certain amount of equipment that I will keep for a long time, other equipment I would have no emotional attachment to what so ever.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
GD,obergrenadier

Post by GD,obergrenadier »

Peiper wrote:From what i have noticed recently while "thinning" out my stuff, dealers wont pay up
for gear, they want it for half the market price, infact it has annoyed me so much
i had given up selling half the stuff after suffering losses on things, everybody wants
something for nothing, my advice is if you have any items try selling them yourselves
dont go to "dealers" as you will only be disapointed or ripped off !!!! :evil: grrrrrrrr

Good luck, Peiper
Peiper,the dealers that are "ripping you off" are a BUSINESS,they can't afford to buy your stuff or anyone else's at full value,it would put them OUT of business.Regardless of what you paid for the items,it would still be considered "used" by their standards (this is especially true of specialty items and uniforms)and to stay in business they have to buy low sell high(I grant you that sometimes the prices are retardedly high or ridiculous)not to mention that reenacting gear in general is a very small market and as a result the profit margin is even tighter.Bluntly put, if you don't like it don't sell or for that matter buy....
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Peiper wrote: they want it for half the market price, infact it has annoyed me so much
something for nothing,

Good luck, Peiper
peip's
this is not a go at you
but to highlight possibly what paul is saying.

things have value
and its a case where we are all trying to get as much as we can get for items we sell

my closets friends will tell you
when i was at the tip
i was forever giving things of value away that id found....putting no price value on them ..all i wanted was to see them go to a good home ...
i got to admit tho id like to know the items i gave away did not get sold on ...

but must add im not going to give away my enigma .. :wink: :lol: :lol:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.

Return to “General”