Looking for correct fabric and/or pattern?

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

Wilder Feger

Looking for correct fabric and/or pattern?

Post by Wilder Feger »

I'm hoping someone can point me to a source for the correct fabric for SS Helferinnen uniforms as well as a source for the breast badge. (That's right I said breast, down boys :wink: ) Also if anyone has information on a pattern or one that could be adapted. My mate here in Florida is pretty good and make a lot of things by good photos, etc. I have some photos, but obviously a pattern would be best. Can anyone assist us?

Danke,
Kelly
aka
Heidi :wink:
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
pzrwest

fabric

Post by pzrwest »

Hi Kelly you might try and contact Aarron from the Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung re-enacting unit he had a helferrinne uniform made for Betsy. I can't remember where he said he got the material from. Here is his e-mail address greatpolarbear@aol.com
Wilder Feger

Re: fabric

Post by Wilder Feger »

pzrwest wrote:Hi Kelly you might try and contact Aarron from the Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung re-enacting unit he had a helferrinne uniform made for Betsy. I can't remember where he said he got the material from. Here is his e-mail address greatpolarbear@aol.com
Thanks, Harold. Do you know what kind of Helferinnen she was portraying? I know that Herr was different from SS was different from Luftwaffe..... and I want to get the right colour as well as fabric.
I'll fire off an email to him.

Kelly

Sgt ATS
pzrwest

re-hi

Post by pzrwest »

Hi Kelly she portrays a Marinehelferrinne here's a link to the pic of her it's in B&W though
http://hometown.aol.com/greatpolarbear/KKAunitpage.html
klara

Post by klara »

Kelly

Speak to Jo as she had hers made by someone in the UK. I have a Heer summer uniform that I made from scratch along with the winter skirt. I have got material left to have a jacket made when I can get round to it (most of the Helferin uniforms that I have seen are far too woolly - the material is more of an officers gabardine type smooth weave). I also have some photos of an original jacket that I took a few years ago at Beltring. The eagle that I have got is just a plain white and black one, which I must try and replace. I have also got a hat that I had tailor made for me a few years ago but I'm not sure if the person is still in business. The only UK dealer that I can think of who might sell the correct eagle is Nicholas Morigi.

Hope this helps.
Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once!
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Kelly,

There is a company here in the States, NH Uniforms, that does assorted Helferinnen stuff. They used to have some good period photos of the uniforms on their website and maybe they still do - worth checking out. As for their actual reproduction products, I don't know how they hold up.

I don't know much about them. A while back I sent them patterns for the BDM uniforms to see whether they would be interested in making them for re-enactors. They never once called me or emailed me with questions re: materials, buttons, etc. and apparently didn't use my website for reference either. The final result was ... URGH. I have a set that they sent me in return for providing them the patterns and it was very badly made (seams came loose as soon as I took it out of the box), the materials are all wrong, and the fit is atrocious. I wouldn't use the uniform even as a stage costume, it's so bad. But they refuse to work out the problems and are still selling them...
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Thanks Harold, Clare and Chris for your responses.

Clare (I still intend to answer your email!! :oops: ), I was pretty sure the material was a different type of wool as you say, but I'm not a sewer so I'm not entirely sure what to look for out there on my own, don't think I can be trusted :lol: ... I did find out a way to convert the male Panzer hat to a Helferinnen SS one though... I'll see what Jo has to say, too regarding the fabric. Since I have someone with the ability to make it and for free (just the cost of fabric) I thought I'd start trying to find the fabric now. I'll have to check the books again, but I'm not sure the SS wore the eagle (on the breast pocket that is), I think it was just runes in a cirlcular badge with like silver edge. I'll have to dig it out again. Best of luck finishing your uniform, too!!

Chris, yes, I had tried to correspond with them as well and never got responses so s*d 'em for all that... I might see if the website has any good photos. I know that there is a good one of the SBG ladies in uniform on their website. I'm going to see if I can get someone in SBG to find out about the material source. I was hoping to find one in the US though as it would be less expensive to ship. Sorry for your experiences with NH, guess that one goes down to "lessons learned". Oh, do you know if SS Helferinnen would have worn ID Discs? I don't remember ever reading either way. I know some helferinnen did..

Thanks again everyone, but if anyone hears anything let me know!

Danke
Kelly

Sgt ATS
pzrwest

id disc

Post by pzrwest »

Here's an id disc that belong to my friend Edgar's wife's aunt who was an instructor at a Heeresshule
Now what the SS helferinne I can't say
Klara1889

SS-Helferinnen uniform

Post by Klara1889 »

Hi Kelly

This is a good book for reference to female uniforms WW2 Germany.

"World War 11 German Auxiliary Services" Men-at-Arms series
ISBN 1-84176-407-8

You can find on Amazon.com if you havnt already got it.

The SS-Helferinnen uniforms were grey wool with ss eagle on arm and SS runes on breast. They are one of the least glamerous of the female uniforms, plain cut and no tie, and too hot in summer.

Hope all goes well.

Klara
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Thanks, Klara I appreciate the information. Yes, I have that one and the more I went back and looked at it and read the descriptions, the more I thought that it should be plenty of information for my mate to go on for making the uniform. She said if she had pics and descriptions should could do it. The illustrated pic is actually pretty detailed and what's not clear is spelled out in the description on the latter pages. So, my problem still remains locating the fabric and someone who might make the rune breast badge. Any ideas??

Thanks again all of you who have responded, I REALLY appreciate the help.

Kelly

Sgt ATS
Wilder Feger

Re: id disc

Post by Wilder Feger »

pzrwest wrote:Here's an id disc that belong to my friend Edgar's wife's aunt who was an instructor at a Heeresshule

Now what the SS helferinne I can't say
Thanks, Harold. It was that thread that made me ask about the ID Disk actually :lol: so I appreciate your previous thread. I just need to find out if the SS also had them... hopefully someone will know.

Sgt ATS
helferin

Post by helferin »

I used a gray gabardine wool for both my tunic and skirt. Mine is a little dark (if you look at craigob's post) - as I understand it it should be mouse-gray. The fabric I got off ebay - the seller is fabrictv and is very responsive - you usually buy by the yard. I needed 3 - 4 yards for the entire uniform.

I can do further research as far as getting the actual pattern we used for the skirt - the tunic I was not happy with but it did pass at an event.

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Johanna von Mauer

Post by Johanna von Mauer »

I know that the Heer uniform was mouse grey, but the Osprey and a few other books I have read have stated that the SS Helferin uniform was Field Grey (the green kinda colour, as the men). It gets very confusing, it seems that the women's uniforms didn't seem to have set guidelines and standards like the men's. Typical :roll: The uniforms were made from wool though, all books agree on that.

I got the material for my uniform from a place in Leeds called Hainworth's. They sell fabrics specially for the military and re-enactors of all periods.

A lady who makes 40's clothes to original patterns made my uniform. She is called Michelle and has a stall at most of the big events. At Beltring and a couple of other shows she has her stall next to Warhorse. She did a fantastic job of my uniform and also makes the BDM and DRK nurses dresses.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Hiya guys....
I have to agree with Jo most books state the SS uniform was a field grey not a pale grey. Ive come to some understanding that early on they were both but when materials became scarce they were all field grey as thats what they were already using for the mens uniform. As for the breast disc il email u the link kel....just gotta find it first.

Helgi!!
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Stop using my login Helga!

(And we got ours from Soldat)
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”