Soldbuch and water?

for information on soldbuchs,stamps,money,passes etc.

Moderator: Feldjager

Mikkel

Soldbuch and water?

Post by Mikkel »

I have been to a few events were it rained like there was no tomorrow.
The result was that the soldbuch also got it's fair share of the water. I have no problem with my kit getting wet and used, but i'm worried that the writing in the soldbuch (when it gets done) will be compltely unreadable from the water. Is there any way to avoid making the soldbuch unreadable?

Also about the soldbuch cover, how often was it used? And is it the result of the modern production method that the cover will give blue colour to the soldbuch when wet, or did the originals ones do this too?

I know that the soldbuch should be carried in the left chest pocket. But what if the soldier had a wallet to store it in?
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You could try getting some 'fixer' from an art shop and spray each page with that.
pzrwest

wet soldbuchs

Post by pzrwest »

Didn't the real ones have problems with water as well? I'm sure during the war soldiers got soaking wet alot wonder what they did?
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

Put it in your respirator tin - that's what some did!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
pzrwest

tins

Post by pzrwest »

Remember only tins with the "D" on the bottom were waterproof. Maybe they wrapped the soldbuch in waxed paper
pzrwest

Re: wet soldbuchs

Post by pzrwest »

oli4vercammen wrote:
pzrwest wrote:Didn't the real ones have problems with water as well? I'm sure during the war soldiers got soaking wet alot wonder what they did?
They got a Zweitschrift!
what is Zweitschrift!
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

A replacement. Should be written on the cover to indicate that it is such. Very handy when making a Soldbuch up. The use of "Zweitschrift" allows you to gloss over some old info if you don't have it. You can just pretend that it was entered into your old, lost Solduch.
Being a bit of an old bugger now, I'm onto my Zweitschrift. You must have had a couple by now, Harold :D .
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Dietmar wrote:A replacement. Should be written on the cover to indicate that it is such. Very handy when making a Soldbuch up. The use of "Zweitschrift" allows you to gloss over some old info if you don't have it. You can just pretend that it was entered into your old, lost Solduch.
Being a bit of an old bugger now, I'm onto my Zweitschrift. You must have had a couple by now, Harold :D .
Well since I was called up in 42 and just one promotion and just a cpl awards it isn't filled up yet.
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

It doesn't have to get filled up. Just wrecking it is enough to get a Zweitschrift. Sometimes just the cover was replaced. These are obvious to see as in the case of the ones with spine tape, the new staples go all the way through the tape. In extreme cases, you got a whole new Soldbuch, but all the awards, etc, were transferred over in one go and undersigned by a qualified officer. Makes it easier to fill in that way, as you don't have to make up different writing styles and dates.
You've obviously kept yourself too clean and tidy :wink:
I found a good way to "age" my Solduch. It involves rolling your Landrover upside down into a muddy ditch while carrying your Soldbuch in your pocket. Bit extreme, I grant you, and made for a very damp three hour drive home. Bugger!
pzrwest

ageing

Post by pzrwest »

Another good way to age a soldbuch is to put it in your hip pocket of your jeans or what ever pants you are wearing and just leave it there till it looks ragged. remember to turn it over in your pocket so it gets bent both ways. BUT remember to take it out of your pocket before your pants get washed.

Return to “Paperwork”