books

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

dink

books

Post by dink »

Hello ladies :D and nosey men :P Just wondering if anyones read anything recently of interest ? in respect to German women?

I've got a few books so far like the obvious one Frauen for example and the osprey book :lol: , and some a little bit more obscure Nazi Nurses (covering male and female) about psychiatrics. I've also got a copy of Blitzmadchen (don't know how to put the accents on a forum :oops: ) which I'm translating into an english for my own reference, but there must be other books out there I'm missing out on :D so any pointers would be greatly recieved as I've had to resort to reading the blokie books again :roll:

Avid book worm so if anyone has any recommendations be it a tomb or light reading it would be appreciated, I don't mind reading heavy going texts nor do I mind buying a book in German and slowly trawling my way through it :wink: I may have read the suggested book I may not have so please post away .....
crossofiron

Post by crossofiron »

How about:

"The Camp Women", female auxiliaries who assisted the ss in running the nazi concentration camp system. by Daniel Patrick Brown?

I started it yesterday, a bit chilly but good so far!
dink

Post by dink »

crossofiron wrote:How about:

"The Camp Women", female auxiliaries who assisted the ss in running the nazi concentration camp system. by Daniel Patrick Brown?

I started it yesterday, a bit chilly but good so far!
Thanks will look out for that sounds interesting, the psychiatrics book is a bit on the edge really considering what it covers but I'd rather know the whole story than half of it ;)
crossofiron

Post by crossofiron »

Schiffer........$60

so a bit ouch on the old purse!
Kononov1941

Re: books

Post by Kononov1941 »

dink wrote:Hello ladies :D and nosey men :P Just wondering if anyones read anything recently of interest ? in respect to German women?

Have you read "Nazi Chic?"; it's all about women's fashion in the Third Reich.
Nik
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the fear of retaliation.
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

micky has a book for you , will bring it to victory :wink:
dink

Post by dink »

DAS MEDIC wrote:micky has a book for you , will bring it to victory :wink:
ooo cool :D can't wait to see you both x
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

"Nazi Chic" is a very good book but be prepared for really DRY reading.

Littlejohn's "The Hitler Youth" has a decent chapter on the BDM.

Dr. Jutta Ruediger wrote an autobiography of her time in the BDM and as the national BDM leader called, "Ein Leben fuer die Jugend" that is an interesting read.

There's also Norbert Westernrieder's "Deutsche Frauen und Maedchen - vom Alltagsleben 1933-1945". It's an older book, published in '84, but you can still get it. Interesting and lots of pictures.

Really can't recommend a lot of non-BDM ones. *lol* The Osprey ones that have info on the BDM (the new one The Hitler Youth by Dearn and the Women's Auxiliaries ones) are not the greatest when it comes to accuracy. I don't know about the *entire* content but the BDM content doesn't appear well-researched.
dink

Post by dink »

I've got the osprey book, there are a few things in it I wonder about..... :lol: but as a very rough guide it works
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Absolutely, they're a great basic resource and they often have some pretty good photos. :) Just saying, not all their information should be taken as "gospel" - though that seems to hold true for a lot of history related materials.
dink

Post by dink »

Its a new year so I need to read more books, so suggestions always welcome 8)

Have read Marlene Dietrich's story from the eyes of her daughter, I actually found it quite interesting. Theres little glimpses of what she left behind, and how her sister, her nephew and mother went through during the war, which was part of the reason I wanted to read it, its a mamoth tomb of a book compared to todays autobiographies which "stars" seem to write as and when they feel like it :roll: (this one goes from the start to the end, hence its so big :lol: ) worth reading if anyone wants to borrow it let me know.

About to start 'The Past is myself', which is about Christabel Bielenberg, so hoping its not too dull to read.
Apparently turned into a BBC serial (well thats what it says on the cover I don't recall it :oops: ) entitled Christabel, did anyone see this ? does anyone know where the best place to source it from ? Wouldn't mind watching it once I've read the book.

Ta 8)
Leutnant

Post by Leutnant »

There are some very good books out there regarding both the Nachrichtenhelferinnen and the female experience in the war in addition to those already mentioned, some others are:

"Mein kleines grosses Tagebuch! Aufzeichnungen einer Nachrichtenhelferin" by Edith Müller-Beeck (1944)

"...Und ich konnte nichts ändern: Odyssee einer Nachrichtenhelferin" by Elisabeth J. Himmelstoß (1994)

"Die Miläuferin: Erinneringung einer Wehrmachtsangehörigen" by Ilse Schmidt (1999)

"Hausfrau at War": A German Woman's Account of Life in Hitler's Reich" by Else Wendel (1957)
Leutnant

Post by Leutnant »

Just thought of a few more that may be of interest:

"Blitzmädel, Heldenmutter, Kriegerwitwe" by Gerda Szepansky (1986)-A compilation of first-person female accounts from a variety of walks of life.

and on the fiction side:

"Blitzmädel" by Hans Helmut Kirst

"Fronttheater" by Heinz G. Konsalik (1992)-The story of a German Armed Forces Entertainment Troupe.
KDF

Post by KDF »

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be on this post,but seeing that it relates to printed material thought it may help a tad.

An Italien mag Uniformi number 110 shows in the first part of this article Luftwaffe Auxs 1940-1945 showing their dog tags on inspection, various other brilliant photogrpahs of them including them marching in their Gasmasks.

Then its the French magArmees Miltiria no 161 (for part 1, I`ve not got part2) For Female Auxiliaires of the Luftwaffe. And no 166 Blitmadel 1940-45 Radio operators including them marching out in Tracksuits to do sport.Both have fantastic photos in.

Finally ( Thank god i can hear you all say) ArmesMiltirtia 104 for an article that includes Female Italien Facists Black corp uniforms for the ladies.

Hope this is helpful.

I have also found the translation of the Blitmadel book into English if anyone wnats a scanned copy?

Keith
Founder member of AFRA.
dink

Post by dink »

Oh yes copy of scanned book be good :D

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”