Kids ....

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

dink

Kids ....

Post by dink »

Just thought I'd post this here since a reply I made over yonder will most likely not get much of a response (may not on here :lol: ) anyways as is know I have kids :shock: eldest being 10 and easy to farm out :lol: little one however is nearly 4 and not so easy to package off to anyone can't think why .....

Anyways digressing from the point, as is well noted from the forums and the opinions of uniformed kids, I'm wondering about maybes if I got really stuck in the future and wanted to go somewhere (not an issue taking him) but how well received a child would be if in German civilian clothing. I know many harrop on about it being the alternative ;) but is it what they think it would be, would it invoke a small person not capable really of making his mind up past he likes action man and power rangers to have comments made to him (I can debuff them, I'm not to sure I'd want a lil nipper having snide remarks he could hear having to deal with it ;) )

So has it been done before ? would he be seen as 'just' a lil civi. Does anyone think it has potential :? of course this may never arise but of course forarmed is forwarned and all that guff ;)

Ta in advance to anyone male or female that responds :D
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

civi clothes go down good (micky has lots of pics ) dont forget refugee children had to be looked after within areas of bombing and fighting.

i can have a bash at creating a wooden toy or two,
think about a wooden cart full of junk(blankets pans toy etc)

we will look after him at the red cross :wink:

ever thought of lederhosen :lol:
axis sally

Post by axis sally »

I totally concur with Nick.....besides, even an older boy would have not worn the HJ uniform all the time and there were plenty of children about in Germany who were pleased about that too!!

The Lederhosen is a good choice, here is a link
http://www.mylederhosen.com/

On the other hand, think about the circumstances you want to portray first. Happy family in bloomin 30´s or refugees late 1944 early 1945? As a refugee, the little man would have worn anything Mummy could have got hold off. A jumper made out of old wool from old socks, trousers cut down or turned up, because they belonged to an older child before........

But above all...talk to your boy before "dressing" him up or better, let the older brother talk to him about the subject, as it might be easier for his little mind to understand what you are doing, if it comes from another child.

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
dink

Post by dink »

Nick piccies would be great tell Michaela most interested :D I'm thinking next year atm so way ahead but its an easy get around to get to more events ;) Not sure if the eldest would dress up let alone be seen in public with me :oops: its a struggle to drag him about in 2007 :lol: he'll be 11 next and is already in the 'kevin and perry' stage :lol:

the lil un would wear whatever I put on him :lol: he loves dressing up and events that we've been to as MoPs so I have gauged this with him already ;) He's also a complete muck magnet so could very quickly I bet look unwashed :lol:

As for time scale I guess most events are aimed 40s so refugee would be a good option and scope for sitting on the red cross bit as a lil lost soul ;)

He also has the coolest name for a kid ;) another Kai :lol:

Thanks for the post peeps :D
axis sally

Post by axis sally »

another Kai
Ah, that makes him half a Kaiser :wink: Got one here as you know!
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

I can't speak about European events, but there are a lot of kids at US events doing various impressions. Usually the younger ones do civilian.

There's one family that comes to events around here whose young'un has a shoe shine kit and he's shining shoes for the occupying forces (be they Americans or Germans) for tips. Just for the fun of it and so he has a role to play at events.

Generally, kids in the hobby are very welcome as long as they are well behaved and nice kids. (Kids that are a pain are less welcome for obvious reasons...) I think most people would have no problem if you brought yours along as long as they're dressed in period clothing.
dink

Re: Kids ....

Post by dink »

Well I'm going to let them test the water at Critch, they've been before in normal clothes but they're both currently game on :D egg hunt in the offing and its quite a leisurely occasion with lots of farbs so we'll fit right in :lol: Anyways at some point over the next year they will venture out (also means if I'm really stuck with them both or one of them the world won't end and I can still get out :D) as 1940s kids :wink:
So to start off with though I'm working on kit for underneath, heres the lil un

DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

nice work dink,excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just missing a sooty face and a snotty nose and he would fit in with our dispaly :wink:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
dink

Post by dink »

That would be a given :lol: he is a muck magnet :lol: and normally has a snotty nose jobs a gud un :lol:
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

dink wrote:That would be a given :lol: he is a muck magnet :lol: and normally has a snotty nose jobs a gud un :lol:
should have made him a replica of my uniform with the mucky face and snotty nose we would be a matched pair :lol:

well done
good sewing :wink:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

larissa

Post by larissa »

Awwwwwwwwwwwww he's sooooooooo cute.
He looks the part. :D
dink

Post by dink »

Thanks Lez, and Nick I'd have been a complete loss without that CD from Micky 8) its been a fantastic source 8)
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

dink wrote:Thanks Lez, and Nick I'd have been a complete loss without that CD from Micky 8) its been a fantastic source 8)
our pleasure
i can just see him now , dirty looking and dejected with a broken wooden toy(i'll have a go at making one :wink: ), we can give him our red cross collecting tin ...he'll make a fortune 8)
"every dog has its' day"

axis sally

Post by axis sally »

Well done Di.....looks brilliant...a 100% Kaiser!

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
dink

Post by dink »

I couldn't resist these on ebay :oops: wasn't sure he'd wear them but he is now refusing to take them off :lol: Suggestions for suitable top (not like his modern one thats currently on) appreciated. Apparently its a very cool outfit :lol: and he thinks its great (my kids really are as bizarre as me :oops: ) but mostly cos rayman raving rabbids has this as a costume on his brothers wii :lol:

And the perfect item for sitting in a vintage trunk :lol:

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”