BDM blouse and skirt details from a fabric book I have

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

dink

BDM blouse and skirt details from a fabric book I have

Post by dink »

Maybe's of use to someone on here, note I'll know if its been used on the web somewhere without my permission :twisted: cos I'll hunt ya down :lol: Note its for reference and I will remove these piccies if I think they being misused as they are from my book and you can go hunt ya own down :twisted: :lol:

The booklet is from 1939 and is about fabrics sewing and amongst the articles in it is the below scans detailing the uniform and how to make it yourself, I guess it would be to save on costs ;) so you'd only have to purchase the Jacket as there are no piccies of that in the booklet.

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

That's a very cool find - definitely something you don't see a lot. The last booklet that I've seen that included instructions for making BDM uniforms had instructions only for the skirt, and was a book sold to professional tailors who made custom uniforms.

Did this booklet come with the patterns? I'm wondering because the drawing of the skirt looks the same than the one on the Lutterloh pattern card and the one of the girl is similar except her head is turned to the right. Just curious.
dink

Post by dink »

Its inside a booklet, simply titled "Nähen" (sewing) it has many things in it guides from doing button holes to doing the BDM blouse and skirt, descriptions are quite well descriptive, something most seamstresses I would assume would take as a given, I've not worked out where it originates from yet and have been busy with other things recently so this has taken a back burner in my projects at the moment.

sorry edited to add it came with no patterns (note sure if it would have as yet theres no obvious place they would have been removed/kept within the bookelet), it was an ebay buy and noone wanted it but me so I got it exceptionally cheap :oops:
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

If you get a chance, see if there's any fine print on or inside the front and back cover that shows who put out the booklet.

There were a lot of sewing booklets out in that time period because a lot of people actually still sewed and made their own clothes. "Sewing courses" and little sewing books could show less experienced or beginning sewers how to do basic things that most experienced sewers and professional seamstresses would probably take as a given.

There's a site here - http://www.vintagesewing.info/ - that has full scans of old (English-language) sewing books. If you ever wanted to learn how things were sewn in the 30s and 40s, that would be a great place to start.

In that time period, booklets like that sometimes came with patterns. They're not patterns how you might think about them, though - the kind where it's a huge sheet of paper that you unfold and cut your pattern out from. They were often pattern cards - small cards where the patterns were drawn scaled down and you had to scale them up onto different paper using a special tool to get your full-size pattern. I have a set of patterns like that, including for the various BDM outfits and HJ shirt. (They don't come with instructions, though. *lol* "Instructions sold separately"?)

Glad you got a really great deal on the booklet! :)

I've found that a lot of dealers on the German eBay often sell odds and ends like sewing booklets, women's books, calendars, and general literature from that time period REALLY cheap.

I got "Das Frauenbuch", 1936 edition for about 5 Euros and shipping. It was a deal. It has color illustrations and even still had the fold-out anatomical woman in the back, and covers everything from skin care to washing hair to basic first aid. :) I LOVE stuff like that from the time period - gives you a good idea of more mundane everyday things.

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”