Tropical (DAK) Gasmask canister webbing/straps

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Pietje

Tropical (DAK) Gasmask canister webbing/straps

Post by Pietje »

Does someone know where I can find a vendor selling tropical webbing for gasmask canisters ??? :(
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Re: Tropical (DAK) Gasmask canister webbing/straps

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

There was none. Regular gas mask canisters were painted yellow for desert use. The straps were webbing anyway. There was a tan tropical version of the cloth gas cape pouch though.
Ted

Post by Ted »

as above , just the normal tin used with the copious quantities of vehicle paint added.
Ted

Post by Ted »

just a quick note ,
although an issue item most DAK trops binned the respirator tin asap !!!
Pietje

Post by Pietje »

THANKS!
Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

Wrong my dearest Sheik!

There was a limited run of tan webbing straps issued for the gas mask canister. There is debate over the fact if they were specifically for tropical theatre, or just a late war measure. However they do seem to follow "tropical" style of straps.

Here is a photo of one (borrowed from WAF)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4783/p6181419go9.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9725/p6181420xi6.jpg
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Woooo, nice! Never seen those before. Couldn't it just be a normal manufacturing variation? All respirator tins I have seen so far had green webbing on them, some bleached out by the sun.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Grabenkater wrote:Wrong my dearest Sheik!

There was a limited run of tan webbing straps issued for the gas mask canister. There is debate over the fact if they were specifically for tropical theatre, or just a late war measure. However they do seem to follow "tropical" style of straps.

Here is a photo of one (borrowed from WAF)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4783/p6181419go9.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9725/p6181420xi6.jpg
I'm a bit sceptical here...look at the NON-fade marks where the stud was and also where the strap went through the can- see the dark olive unfaded colour? IMO, a fantasy piece, but I'd love to be proved wrong!
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

Hansch,

I do not wish to debate if this pair is authentic, or not. However, this is the second set I have seen in my years as a collector. The first pair was several years ago, and on a gasmask canister I believe to be original, but it was painted green. I believe them to be original simply because of the other set I have seen.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Same here- I'm not disputing the originality of the straps...and the other tan set may well be a manufacturers variation and could indeed be of lighter web, I'm not disputing that- but the set pictured were once dark olive- they have faded dramatically going by the spot where the stud was. Therefore not manufactured in the lighter colour. Other than that they do indeed look original.

Overall, I just don't think that tan straps, if they exist, were specifically tropical issue. Otherwise they would have painted canisters tan as well- it makes sense, why produce specifically tan straps just for tropical kit and not change the colour most visible part of the item- the can? Merely variation in material, not destined for one theatre or another. The gas cape pouch is a different story- obviously tan in colour and in some ways throws a giant fecking spanner in my point of view, but anyway...no doubt more on that later! :wink: At least that is a common and widely documented item.

Same goes for trop uniforms- the overwhelming majority were olive in colour, not tan. Even second pattern stuff, so called M43 tropical tunics, produced even after initial experience in the desert- still olive in colour.

I also have collected and studied DAK subjects... I guess for around 20+ years. Much of the stuff I have owned or handled over the years has been what we all like to call 1st/ 2nd pattern or early period stuff- all prior to December 1942 and the big retreat from El Alamein. This is because, living in Australia, many items were brought back by Australian vets who of course, were fighting the DAK right from the minute they landed in Afrika (well almost) up to and including the last El Alamein battles. I have had personal contact with these guys as well as DAK manner who come here every year in a POW camp reunion in Victoria. Due to this first person contact possibility, 1943 & Tunisian period kit is rare here unless brought in by other collectors or dealers. So I guess 99% of all gear I have seen or handled here is true Egyptian or Libyan/Cyrenaican theatre kit. All of it conforms to the standard issue and variations are rare unless personalised by the troops themselves. It is surprising how much is continental in its origin and appearance- helmets, gas mask cans, equipment mainly, but all with provenance and first person provenance. The theory that all DAK kit has to be tan painted and tan in colour is hogwash to say the least. I've not come across any specific tan coloured straps in all this tiem- not to say they didn't exist, but i wouls love to eat crap on that and have someone show a specifically manufactured, tropical intended set of original straps or the documentation to say that that is what they are.

Its kind of like the wood/resin model feldflasche theory- many think these are tropical sepecific, but this is far from the truth. From what I have researched so far, most of these went to Russia! Its like the old "well, sand is yellow so everything else tropical HAS to be yellow" theory that postwar myths and "Chinese whispers" seem to generate. Not having a go at anyone, just trying to get across that there are many myths and beliefs about tropical kit that seem to be wrong. Having said that, my beliefs may very well be wrong and I am open to that, but would want the proof first. I first studied this DAK subject well before the introduction of the internet and its inherent problems with "instant experts" like Wikepedia. I treat any info on the net as subject to personal opinion, rather than hands on knowlege. Gone are the days when people pick up a book and study a subject, or actuially talk to a vet or someone with personal knowlege of a subject- nowadays its too easy to get on the net and google something that may or may not be based on fact and run with it as reality or fact. Its all just opinion- including my comments here! Confusing ain't it???? :D

The DAK section of the forum will be a constant balance between clarifying fact from fiction and myth- we have seen this to a great extent already! More so than the rest of the forum I believe. We are in for interesting times here my friends!

Stefan

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

Excellent answer Stefan (as always), the straps look "real" but started life as green I'd say.
Regarding this:
"Its kind of like the wood/resin model feldflasche theory- many think these are tropical sepecific, but this is far from the truth. From what I have researched so far, most of these went to Russia!"

This is correct, Resin bottles went every were and given that there were 60 million men fighting for the Fatherland, plus the HJ etc and they All had bottles, then theres more than the equivilent amount of Resin covered bottles to DAK troops. Basically the pressed fibre was easier to produce, cheaper and more redily available than wool towards the end of the war and consequently whole divisions of late war entrants were issued them. The same can be said of webbing belts, frogs and y-straps.

Just my two penath!

Austrailia...Convict! Dijjery Don't more like! :lol: :lol:
Appologies if Dijjery is spelt wrong but my spellings atro..., artoci..., atrocus.. Well just Crap!
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Obergefreiter Hansch

:D
Last edited by Obergefreiter Hansch on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Correct Herr Spieß, the land of convicts and Afrikakorps POW's! :D Great company!

Stefan

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:Correct Herr Spieß, the land of convicts and Afrikakorps POW's! :D Great company!

Stefan
:lol: :lol: dont mention the cricket Stefan
ImageImageImageImageImage
Obergefreiter Hansch

Franz repper wrote:
Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:Correct Herr Spieß, the land of convicts and Afrikakorps POW's! :D Great company!

Stefan
:lol: :lol: dont mention the cricket Stefan

:evil: :( :D swings and roundabouts, Franz!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”