Use of the Kochgeschirr

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

gebirgs soldat

Use of the Kochgeschirr

Post by gebirgs soldat »

I am writing a simple training manual for my outfit. I will include specifics on the most EFFICIENT way to use the Model31 in the field. For example.. How to get the most heat/quickest heatup of items using an esbit stove.. and the trick of heating your soup in the big pot while heating your water for coffee in the lid w/handle by setting the lid inverted using it as a lid for the big pot but having it filled with water to heat both items simultaneously..

ANY OTHER IDEAS or TIPS out there? Thanks WTH
"Alte Soldaten Sterben Nicht" - "Old Soldiers Never Die"

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
California Historical Group (CHG)
L.A., California
Hans Gowert

Re: Use of the Kochgeschirr

Post by Hans Gowert »

i dont know if this was the done thing,which i doubt it was

but I personally use the lid for cooking soup/ and anything else and use the pot for boiling water. As there tends to be more fluids needed then the consumption of food at events and i like to use the big pot for water and keep it like that so its sterile of food. More of personal admin for me then standard practice
kiler

Post by kiler »

The same with me. I`d like to add that pot is much harder to clean, so I also prefer to use lid for all kinds of food. I don`t eat much so it OK for me :lol:
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

I use the big pot for cooking in, and the little pot for washing/shaving in....

As already said - invert the lid and slot the groves into the big vessel to secure it - do this when boiling water or cooking food in the big vessel. The trick is to work as a team. In a gruppe (of four/five) youl have two guys cooking and the rest on admin duty....so have one guy boiling water for brews, and the other cooking. Should only take two mess tins...as their quite deep.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

What I often do is dig a commando stove in the wall of my hole. Make a little tunnel, start a fire (esbit) in it and put the pot on top. If it's raining, dusty or I just want it to heat faster, I put the lid on... Works very well this way.
gebirgs soldat

Re: Use of the Kochgeschirr - Field Cooking Contest

Post by gebirgs soldat »

I thought I would post this here since I started the original thread

Mein einheit is now going to do the following at all field reenactments - FIELD COOKING CONTEST

1. Each Jager will be issued; one potato, one 1/2 carrot, 1/4 onion, 250 grams of meat (pork or beef), one bullion cube (stew broth)

2. In groups of two or three, soldats will prepare their own meals using only the provided items

3. BONUS: each group can add one secret ingredient (self-supplied) to supplement the stew, provided the ingredient is small enough to be cupped in one hand (for example; paprika, salt, pepper, or another vegetable)

4. Each group cooks their meal and then a portion of it is tasted by "Der Spiess" who determines the best "feld gulasch".

5. Winners get a small reward/prize such as a combo/fork/spoon or some other original trinket that can be obtained inexpensively.

This contest accomplishes two things;

A. It encourages kamaraderie and competition among einheit members AND
B. It teaches teamwork AND
C. MOST IMPORTANT, it teaches our Jagers how to use their equipment efficiently.

I AM THINKING OF HAVING MEMBERS DO THIS FOR COFFEE AS WELL.. It helps to know who can make a good "cup of Joe"

Ideas from the forum? Comments? Any are welcome...

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
L.A., California
gebirgs soldat

Post by gebirgs soldat »

FOLLOW UP:

My guys had a training day yesterday.. it went well, we used our kochgeschirrs as described.

Three 2-man teams.. cooking competition

our veteran mountain soldier and a junge "Spence' won the competition. Their secret ingredient: from your mother's kitchen (USA).. the all-spice known by the brand "ACCENT"

http://www.bgfoods.com/accent/accent_products.asp

Anyway, this was a great kamaradschaft builder! And it was fun doing it on a windy day! Plenty of "Warsteiner" and "Stella Artois" to drink..
My son and his battle buddy came in second place with their stew...

I recommend this type of training/events to all unit leaders

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
L.A., California
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

While I was on "loan" to the Bundeswehr from the U.S. Army, I saw the Kochgeschirr used like this:

Boiling water is put in the lid and the pot was set on top of it. The pot was pressed down into the rim of the lid to join them together.

This keeps the contents of the pot warm. I didn't find it THAT effective, but "when in Rome..."

Ernst Blofeld
GJR 100
Kalifornia
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
gebirgs soldat

Post by gebirgs soldat »

Okay.. after the battle we had last weekend, it has been determined (a consensus) was reached.. that the maximum allowable use of the Kochgeschirr should be TWO persons.

Yes, you could cook a meal to feed THREE to FOUR people; provided each man's portion is small (and I know in real world/real war; any food is a blessing), but after trying to fit two large potatoes and various veggies in a pot to feed THREE men, there just wasn't enough room to fit it all included water, etc..

SO, that being said; TWO persons is the recommended usage for the Kochgeschirr and the most advantageous when applying the "battle buddy" principles which are now integrated into most modern army training! WHEW.. that was a lot to say.. about.. hey, hey.. BOILING A POT OF WATER! :lol:

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
L.A., California

Return to “Drill, Tactics, Fieldcraft”