Man seriously injured in military re-enactment

For old topics we just can't bring ourselves to delete!
West-Front

Man seriously injured in military re-enactment

Post by West-Front »

Man seriously injured in military re-enactment explosion

Jane Harper October 13th, 2008

AN EXPLOSION during a military re-enactment event has left a Geelong man hospitalised with severe injuries.

The 52-year-old member of the Geelong branch of the Military Historical Society of Australia had three fingers severed in the incident, fractured both wrists and suffered serious burns to his neck and face, according to an ambulance service spokesman.

The man, who is reportedly trained in pyrotechnics, was hit by a wall of flame in the explosion yesterday morning during a clean-up operation he was leading after a re-enactment at a farm in Inverleigh Rd, Winchelsea.

"One of the pyrotechnicians attempted to throw a 200-litre drum, which had not exploded during the re-enactment sequence, on the fire during the clean-up," Captain Rod Taylor from Winchelsea Fire Brigade said. "When he threw the drum, it just blew up, injuring his hands and face."

It is believed the drum was filled with acetyline gas. Emergency crews, including an air ambulance, were called to the property near Barwon Park just after 10am yesterday.

The man was flown from the park to Melbourne's The Alfred hospital, where he was last night in a "serious" condition.A spokesman for the ambulance service said the man's injuries might have been worse had he not turned his head away at the moment the container exploded.

Capt Taylor said the incident was a stark warning to anyone dealing with explosive or flammable materials.

"These aren't toys and there are processes and protocol to be followed," he said. "This gentleman is licensed and has been doing this for many years, but still these things can happen."

Steve Chilvers, secretary for the Geelong branch of the Military Historical Society, said members were shaken and were thinking of the victim.

"Obviously all our thoughts are with him at this time, and we wish him only the best," Mr Chilvers said.WorkSafe spokesman Michael Birt said the organisation would be speaking to police about the explosion.

"The things that hurt or kill people most in Victoria are the routine tasks," he said. "It's believed this victim was a licensed pyrotechnician and it shows if this can happen to experts, it can happen to anyone."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... _news.html
Tychsen

Re: Man seriously injured in military re-enactment

Post by Tychsen »

Things that blow up demand respect , sincerely hope the gent will recover in the fulness of time.
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

things that blow up should NOT be thrown onto a fire :roll:
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Blast man in induced coma

Britt Smith October 14th, 2008

A MAN seriously injured by an explosion at Winchelsea remained in an induced coma yesterday after undergoing hours of surgery. Robin Mawson, 52, of Grovedale, suffered burns to the face, neck and hands, and fractured both wrists on Sunday after a military re-enactment at an Inverleigh Rd farm.

Winchelsea police said an investigation found the cause to be accidental and the matter was now being handled by WorkSafe.
Mr Mawson, an experienced pyrotechnician and mechanics teacher, was flown to The Alfred hospital in Melbourne soon after 10am on Sunday.It is believed surgeons operated on his hands for almost eight hours. An Alfred spokeswoman said Mr Mawson was in a serious condition and may remain in hospital for another two weeks.

Mr Mawson was leading a clean-up operation a day after the Battle of the Falaise Gap recreation, run by the Military Historical Society of Australia's Geelong branch.

Winchelsea Fire Brigade captain Rod Taylor said Mr Mawson was handling a 200-litre fuel drum when it exploded in his hands.It is believed he has taken part in similar events for about 13 years, and was working with his 24-year-old son at the time of the accident.Military Historical Society member and event commentator Ian Barnes said the committee had decided not to speak to the media about the incident.

`What happened to him was part of the clean-up. The whole thing was well and truly over,'' he said.`(Mr Mawson) is one of our outstanding fellows.''

About 20 people participated in the recreation of the WWII battle, in which an estimated 10,000 Germans were killed and another 30,000 captured, Mr Barnes said.Explosives, guns and military trucks are part of the performances, and spectators are usually restricted to vehicles. WorkSafe spokesman Michael Birt said injuries caused by flammable substances were fairly frequent and urged caution.``It can happen so very quickly; you don't get a second chance to get it right,'' he said.
Mr Mawson's family and colleagues at the Gordon Institute of TAFE declined to comment yesterday.
Guards

Post by Guards »

Hi, Just some info on the article which amazingly ended up all over the world. The accident did not happen during the re-enactment and was the next day during cleaning the site. The incident happened as a result of complaycency and being in a hurry. Which was a stupid thing to do. However, it was not just throw a drum on a fire. The detonators had been removed and i had vented the drum for some time. What i did wrong was i had gone to get a saw to cut open the end of the plastic drum but could not find it i got side tracked and did not follow through on opening the back to vent it at a better rate. I cleared all others of the area because i new it would go off ( i did think not to a big extent) but forgot i had left the plugs out that i had removed to vent the drum. This is why it wicked while i still had hold of it. If it had been replugged it would have sat on the fire burnt through and then gone off with me at a safe distance. It was a lapse in concentration and a case of the obsenity of assumption, as the bomb had failed to explode during the re-enactment when set off. As this was a gas filled bomb i had experienced in the past some which had leaked and i half assumed this had happened again. Bad assumption and as said the obsenity of.
I was flown to the Alfred hospital and did undergo 8 hrs of surgery. I did not lose any fingers as reported. I did not get burnt on the face anymore than a case of sunburn. I don't know about coma's but i was awake the next morning after the accident, that is Monday morning. I don't wish to down play the accident but i was annoyed at some of the media reporting. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I am back at work. but are still doing some hand therapy. I am qualified in pyrotechnics and i have spent 8 years in the Aust Army Reserve in RAEME. I am ateacher in the TAFE system and would not be considered a dick head. However i am the first to admit it was adumb thing to do. But in 52 years i have never had an accident at all during car racing as well. It just shows don't get complacent about anything. Robin Mawson
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Robin, first of all good you're ok and your health problems are not as serious as they reported. Good to hear you carefully considered what you did wrong, takes a real man to do this...

Take care and wish you all the best for the future, both for your health and other aspects of life.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Guards wrote:Hi, Just some info on the article which amazingly ended up all over the world. The accident did not happen during the re-enactment and was the next day during cleaning the site. The incident happened as a result of complaycency and being in a hurry. Which was a stupid thing to do. However, it was not just throw a drum on a fire. The detonators had been removed and i had vented the drum for some time. What i did wrong was i had gone to get a saw to cut open the end of the plastic drum but could not find it i got side tracked and did not follow through on opening the back to vent it at a better rate. I cleared all others of the area because i new it would go off ( i did think not to a big extent) but forgot i had left the plugs out that i had removed to vent the drum. This is why it wicked while i still had hold of it. If it had been replugged it would have sat on the fire burnt through and then gone off with me at a safe distance. It was a lapse in concentration and a case of the obsenity of assumption, as the bomb had failed to explode during the re-enactment when set off. As this was a gas filled bomb i had experienced in the past some which had leaked and i half assumed this had happened again. Bad assumption and as said the obsenity of.
I was flown to the Alfred hospital and did undergo 8 hrs of surgery. I did not lose any fingers as reported. I did not get burnt on the face anymore than a case of sunburn. I don't know about coma's but i was awake the next morning after the accident, that is Monday morning. I don't wish to down play the accident but i was annoyed at some of the media reporting. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I am back at work. but are still doing some hand therapy. I am qualified in pyrotechnics and i have spent 8 years in the Aust Army Reserve in RAEME. I am ateacher in the TAFE system and would not be considered a dick head. However i am the first to admit it was adumb thing to do. But in 52 years i have never had an accident at all during car racing as well. It just shows don't get complacent about anything. Robin Mawson
respect my friend
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

Robin

Glad you are OK. I dont think you will find any reenactors here in the UK that are not glad of that.

I for one know how long it takes to set up and pack up a pyro display that sometimes lasts only 10 mins.

This is why anyone here in the UK using pyros should be trained by an accredited trainer and should come away with a proper qualification after completing the course.

Remember if you set a pyro off and it Kills or wounds someone it is you who could go to jail, if you can not prove beyond all doubt that you did everything in the correct manner and order.
The authorities will be looking where the blame should lie, this will be harder for them if you have got the right paperwork and can proof you DO know what you are doing.
http://www.forceschildrenstrust.org
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hi robin
welcome to the mad house
keep at it

at least ya learnt something

i know all about hand therapy ...had some a while back on a fnger but not pyro type incident

more a heavy engine and soft tisue dont go type incident

thanks for the update and hope ya dont take too long in the therapy ...if ya had the nurse i had ..then take ya time ...mine was a hotty and i loved the rubbing sesions :wink:

take care fella
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

A well known local Australian film armourer (and someone who I personally called a friend), Bob Parsons was killed in a accident at his armoury last year. A terrible loss to the movie community let alone his family, friends and colleagues.

If anything was to come out of his passing, it would be a timely reminder to concentrate on what your doing, follow set procedures, and above all don't be complacent about safety.
Guards

Post by Guards »

Thanks to all for your thoughts and good wishes, Regards robin Mawson
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

You might want to post a clarification here as well :

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=11855
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Robin,
Glad to know that you are still in one piece!! :wink:
People think that re-enacting is all about firing blanks and throwing thunderflashes. We know different, and know that the pyro boys put a lot and time and effort into their 'art'. There is always the potential for things to go wrong, it's called the human element.
I've been blown up, shot at and burnt numerous times during my 15 years of re-enacting and I'm still here!
Respect to you.....
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!

Return to “Archive”