Oradur Sur Glanne

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
barryG

Oradur Sur Glanne

Post by barryG »

Im sure you need no intro to this place, but on the way home from Spain we drove to Oradur Sur Glanne as it was somewhere Id wanted to visit for a number of years.

For those that havent been the actual place is vast, I was surprised just how big a place it was. There cant be many places left in the world where a village has been left as it were after such an atrocity. Yes, some of it is stage managed but we were there early in the morning, no crowds and the sun was out, blue skies and the birds singing. Lizards were running about the place and you could just stand in near silence and imagine the horrors of June 10th 1944. Ive visited many of the camps in Germany and Poland but Oradur is different, standing in the small church where 500 women and children were killed was immensley sad and thought provoking. Thoughts of why and how people could have done that, and also thoughts of myself wearing the same uniform of the people who did this were prevailant. But most of all, the thoughts of those peoples whos lives were very tragically taken just for being in the wrong place.

Well worth a visit... but go when the crowds arent there. We spent around three hours and by then it was uncomfortably crowded. I had taken some photos and a French guy told me not to, he found it disrespectful but I found his girlfriend in shorts and t shirt stuffing her face with a sandwich very disrespectful.
Franz repper

Re: Oradur Sur Glanne

Post by Franz repper »

could you past those photos here?
ImageImageImageImageImage
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hi i visited it when i was staying with a friend in limoges

verry large as you say ...like walking around a village that washit by a earthquake.

the church inside is very disturbing really as inside has lots of bullet strikes and shrapnel damage

but the thing i did not like tha the placing of items on walls that shouldnt be there like pots and pans ...strange to see the garrage with the cars in the derelict state

didnt like the doc's car ...too much robbed off it ...doesnt seem to me to be a memorial..
but that is my oppinion ..
the villge itself is the memorial.....sad
but ww2 hold im sure lots of sadness
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/ww2-battle ... 009-a.html

The garve of the man who ordered the destruction of Oradour and every living soul within it.
Attachments
DSCF3898.jpg
DSCF3898.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 9389 times
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Do I remember right that Adolf Diekmann would of been charged by the SS comander ? but was killed by a shell splinter to the head .
will look in my books later
barryG

Post by barryG »

Some photos as requested, only a few I took. The people we were staying with in Champsac said that as the cars rot away, they replace them which is just wrong I think. As mentioned, its the place and not the artifacts that are the memory.

JDR

Post by JDR »

Franz repper wrote:Do I remember right that Adolf Diekmann would of been charged by the SS comander ? but was killed by a shell splinter to the head .
will look in my books later

Thats correct
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Thanks Jon
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

It was Sylvester Stadler had recommended that Diekmann be subject to a CM for what took place , very good photos Barry , thank you.

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/oradour-s ... icers.html
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

I went there a few years ago and I didn't find it emotionally moving at all if I'm honest.
Frontschweine, Regiment 409

Return to “Places of interest.”