Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otto funk

Re: CRETE - german paratrooper monument near Chania

Post by otto funk »

Last year,
I was in CRETE for holidays with my wife,

and I never find this monument.............

:x
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

The spray paint from young people who it would appear have no feeling for the history of their own Island , too young to have experienced it and too ignorant to learn about it.
The damage to the monument speaks for itself rather sad when you think about it.
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I double that what Tychsen has said...

Sad indeed ..

Jonny
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

sad????
its completly understandable, that there would still be discontent towards the invading forces that butchered their civilians in reprisals against anyone that helped the defenders.
would you not defend your homeland against invading forces?
and want to descrate any monument left in their memory?
remember, the germans were'nt popping in for a cup of tea :lol:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

True , the defence of the Island and the bitter fighting which took place there is understandable , the population did suffer greatly under the occupation but that was then and it is not now.
German tourists are welcomed to the Island as are Italians without problem.
The monument is history , the history of the Island and as it stands it does not endorse the right of the Axis to attack and occupy the Island it stands as a piece of history .
Long ago the Swastika was cemented over and the eagle itself only fell as a result of storm damage .
The damage and graffiti inflicted is that done by a younger generation , not those who knew the German occupation for what it was.

I do not view the monument as one which is to the glory of the German paratroops who fell , it is simply a piece of history which should be preserved for what it is , the real reminder can be seen in the thread showing photographs of the German cemetery and forget not the graves of the British , Greek and Commonwealth troops who died in the battle for the Island.
Did the civilian population suffer - absolutely , murder of hostages and civilians was a standard reprisal and I would certainly not diminish , dismiss or ignore the crimes of the occupying forces.
The defacing and damage I just view it as a form of ignorance and vandalism , I bet those who vandalised it know zilch about the battle for and the occupation of Crete nor I dare say do they really care.
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

''well said'' I totally agree with you, and in the light of the monument being defaced as a reminder of history, it is truly sad :(
these monuments are historical treasures, and should be respected as such. :wink:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

mikebie

Post by mikebie »

I don't think glory comes into it....nor is it simply a piece of history. It was erected in remembrance and deserves respect for that reason alone. After all, the dead Fallschirmjager were as much victims of the regime as the civilian casualties. Albeit, for a different reason.

Tychsen is right of course, and I quote, 'those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it' - Edmund Burke.

It is interesting to note that the most significant damage seems to be on the Greek portion of the plaque........
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

I think what you are looking at are the actions of young vandals , look at the scrawl and the maturity of the hands involved.
Mikebie
I don't think glory comes into it....nor is it simply a piece of history. It was erected in remembrance and deserves respect for that reason alone.
Agree with what you are saying , my comment on "glory" was more directed towards the idiots who have little better to do than acting as louts and worse still that they can't see it as any form of memorial to better men than they are or might become.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I can't find all of my photos - I was there in 91 for the 50. aniversary commerations, may not have gotten all of them scanned ?, but if I remember correktly there is a plack at the Fj monument that paid respect to ALL who fought on Kreta. That is why the monument was never torn down after the war.
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented residents” is like calling Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Return to “Places of interest.”