NORMANDIE

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
John Wilson

Re: NORMANDIE

Post by John Wilson »

The original bridge was replaced in the early '90's (I think), it hasn't been disposed of though, it makes up part of the museum exhibits.
I can only imagine it was replaced as there was a need for a working crossing over the water and maybe it was felt that a fifty odd year old piece wasn't safe or up to the job?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

The one in my photos is the bridge these taken in the mid 1980's.
As John says the original bridge is now part of a small museum complex which is located on the Caen side of the canal - on the left just as you cross the replacement bridge - a small shop , museum complex , the bridge itself can be walked around 360 degrees , also on site sections of a Horsa and Hamilcar gliders which an be inspected at close quarters.
Various art. guns and smaller display iems are also on site.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

The last Tiger in Normandy.
von bock

Post by von bock »

thanks james for the pics , the tiger sure needs some work, its a pity its left outside i think its time these vehicles are moved indoors before we lose them to the weather i.e Rust !!!!
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Alan , I would be inclined to agree with you - this girl does need some attention and when you look into the engine compartment and see the rusting maybach surrounded by beer tins , cary out rubbish and broken glass it seems sad when you reflect on it.
von bock

Post by von bock »

Its a sad state of affairs such a magnificent machine and inportant part of history left to decay and being used as a rubbish bin it is really sad i think
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

On a better note - the collectors fair at Vierville sur Mere - extreme West end of Omaha Beach.
I met this gent ( US Dealer Mr.Nicholas Rizzo from CA) over for a holiday and to take in some of the Normandy fairs.

No heavy sales pitch just a good natured , friendly , reasonable gent doing what he likes to do.
He did say that he was enjoying himself "selling a few items" genuine WW2 gear being sold often cheaper than the reproduction gear , he did say that there were a few "tyre kickers" around , just there to knock and and not even thinking of buying but that's life :wink:

The fairs are good fun - some amazingly good deals can be had but you have to "talk" to get a good deal - some initial asking prices are way too high , all good fun and games.

A friend came away with an excellent result - a well marked almost mint kriegsmarine stopwatch , (Hanhart) 60 second sweep for well less than 300 Euros, this and a head rest for a 10x80 far better than eBay !
Anyone wanting to get some good US gear why not give him a call at WWIIRMZ@aol.com

St Mere Eglise was also quite good but very cramped for space lots of vehicle parts , guns , uniforms of all nationalities , traders from Uk / Europe , for 4 euros you could kill a few hours no problem.

St Pierre sur dives ( SE of Caen) - no photos unfortunately but an amazingly good day - soem amazing stuff - you want anything from a lafette stand to a inert round - it was there.
Some very rare things - fantasic range of Luftwaffe flight gear at one stall gear head gear but expensive , one German dealer had the most amazing display of period SS photos all rom a private individual , all nicely framed but again expensive .
The old horse stables in St Pierre - venue for the fair - packed out .

Some good results.
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Great thread! I'm heading there for the first time this summer, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Love that barn, i get pizza from the takeaway in the street opposit and eat it in the car park!

I stay in Vimoutier, where the Tiger is. Vimoutier was home to the signals of the 1st SS so I feel at home...
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!

Return to “Places of interest.”