Question abt Japanese helmet chin strap config and sizes?

Moderator: Tanaka

Freebooter

Question abt Japanese helmet chin strap config and sizes?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I have a repro Japanese helmet with the Naval Landing Force emblem on it and it has the long tie type chin strap that passed through a loop at the back of the helmet. I figured it was for sort of gripping the back of the head the way a modern D.I.'s back strap did on his DI's hat. But I saw a pic of a Japanese helmet on IMA's site and it looks like the chin strap goes from the back loop, around the neck, then up through the ring in the helmet, then back under the chin to tie there. What in the world?!? It seems to me with this configuration when the blast of an explosion hits him and grabs the helmet at the very least it would choke the guy if not break his neck. Any ideas or opinions? I would't wear my helmet like that if for no other reason it would be uncomfortable and I hate anything around or touching my neck!! I wear mine, when I put it on, with the chin strap just coming straight from that loop in the back to the ring on the side of the inside of the helmet then straight down to tie under my chin.

Also, I noted on another thread a pic of several helmets from Iwo Jima caves, etc.. He said they were for sale and came in either small or large sizes. What about repro helmets? I have one from Stewart's and it is a very nice and well made helmet. But even though it fits it looks small on me compared to say an original Russian helmet I have. Do repro helmets come in larger sizes too? If so, where can I find one?
Thanks,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
Tanaka

Re: Question abt Japanese helmet chin strap config and sizes?

Post by Tanaka »

will post some photos later showing how the helmets are tied
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''
Freebooter

Re: Question abt Japanese helmet chin strap config and sizes?

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks Tanaka. On mine, a NLF helmet, there is plenty of slack in the strap from the back to the left side's little ring and on out. On the right side, it starts new at the back ring, then ends with a sewn loop at the right side ring, and another piece of strap with sewn loop begins on the right ring and hangs down for the right side of the chin strap. It is confusing to me.
Later,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!

Return to “Japanese Weapons and Equipment”