101st Jäger Division

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Hannibal Brooks

101st Jäger Division

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Hi all,

here's some basic info on 101st Jäger Division.

101st Jäger Division was a German Infantry Division of World War II. It was formed in July 1942, by the redesignation of the 101st Light Infantry Division, which was itself formed in December 1940. It took part in the Battle of Kharkov, then the Caucasus campaign and the retreat into the Kuban, where it suffered heavy losses, fighting both the Red Army and partisans.
The division was then involved in the battles around the Strait of Kerch, before being evacuated. The 101st was then transferred to the lower Dnieper River in late 1943. It was part of the 1st Panzer Army that was surrounded in March 1944, and during the breakout formed the rear guard for the XLVI Panzer Corps. The division then retreated across the Ukraine, and in October 1944 was moved to Slovakia and took part in the Battle of the Dukla Pass. During the last year of the war it fought in Hungary and Austria, and by the end of the war it had been reduced to the size of a Kampfgruppe.

Order of battle
Jäger Regiment 228
Jäger Regiment 229
Radfahr Battalion 101
Artillery Regiment 85
Pionier Battalion 101
Panzerjäger Battalion 101
Signals Battalion 101
Reserve Battalion 101
Versorgungseinheiten 101

Notable members
Willi Heinrich the author of The Willing Flesh, which was turned into the movie The Cross of Iron, served as a company officer in Jäger Regiment 228.

Does anybody know of a good book covering them? I'd also be interested to see some photos of the Jägers in southern Russia, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria.

I'm curious if anyone has ever done an impression based on this unit. Seeing as 'Band of Brothers' was so successful in generating interest in the US 101st, could it be said that 'Cross of Iron' could ever do the same for their German counterparts?

Having developed a Tunisian campaign gebirgsjaeger impression, I'd be quite interested to put all of that tropical kit to good use in southern Russia 8) .
Hannibal Brooks

Re: 101st Jäger Division

Here's a bit more information, roughly translated courtesy of Google from Lexikon der wehrmacht.de:

Jäger-Regiment 228

Jäger-Regiment 228 was on 6 Established in July 1942. The regiment was created by the renaming of the 228th Infantry Regiment. The regiment was in Ssiawinska to provide for the attack on the Donets Basin. The attack began on 9 July 1942 and led the regiment until 7 August 1942 to the Kuban, and by mid-August 1942 in the area around Maikop. Next, the regiment pushed on either side of the street in front to Tuapse to the Caucasus. Of 3 to 14 October 1942 there was fighting around the basin of Kurinkij, 15 and 16 October 1942 the Jelisswaetpolskij pass was stormed and taken after the Shaumian. From 20 October 1942, the regiment had to defend himself at Gora Zarya and the Jelissawetpolsij pass.

By January 1943 it had achieved positions in the Caucasus, then began the retreat from the Caucasus in the Kuban bridgehead. This led, among other things to engagements at Tochtamukai, Schendschij, Krasnodar Auscheds, Ssadowij, Krimskaja and Novorossiysk. After the fighting in the Kuban bridgehead, until 15 July 1943, the regiment took over a coastal stretch when Temryuk to secure the Taman peninsula. On 13 September 1943, the regiment was moved south across the Crimea in the Wotan position of Zaporizhia. From 19 September 1943 began the defensive battle for the Wotan position. In November 1943 defensive fighting followed on both sides of the lower Dnieper Berislav.

Beginning in January 1944, the regiment was moved into the area Vinnitsa. Here, there was severe offensive and defensive battles, etc. at the places Komarov, Woronowzy, Latanzy, Potoki, Schenderiwka and Rotmistriwka. The battles in the Vinnitsa region lasted until March 1944. Subsequently there was fighting in retreat and boilers under the 1 Panzer Army in Vinnitsa, Brailov, bar, Novaya Uschiza, Kamenetz-Podolsk and Uszieocko. On 10 April 1944 began Angriffskämpe on Stypa and Dnjetr at Wozilow, Snowidow and Isakov, who until 20 April 1944 dragged on. After it came to the northwest of the forest fights Zukow at Brotniki, anschlossn to be fighting at Peczeniyzn. Of 16 to 27 July 1944, the regiment took part in the Battle of Lemberg and then south to the defensive battles of the Dniester. On 8 August 1944 began the withdrawal of the Carpathians, in which connection it came to fighting in Turka. On 20 September 1944 had to be abandoned Turka position. About the Karpathenkamm across the regiment moved back into the defensive position northwest of Ungvar, on 28 October 1944 was achieved. About Jeszenö, Szobránc Michalowec and went up to the 10th December 1944 in the Gisela position in Kosice.

From 27 December 1944 until 12 January 1945, the regiment moved into the area south of Schemnitz east of Gran Valley. Here it came from the middle of the month heavy defensive battles that brought the regiment in March after Zvolen, Banska Bystrica and after the Horehronie. In March and April 1945, the regiment was in combat in the Great Tatras in Banska Bystrica region. The end of April, the regiment was moved into the area Malacky west of the small Carpathian Mountains. On the west bank of the Morava and Marchfeld there was further fighting, the retreat went on Angern, Prottes and Matzen. At the beginning of May 1945, the regiment was at Hollabrunn and went back on Horn Weitra, German-Beneschau, rout and Rosenberg Nesselbach. Here the regiment was in American captivity.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Some Good information there sir thanks for posting it
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hannibal Brooks

Thanks Franz. I think I'll develop my impression for Jäger-Regiment 228 for the Fortress Wales event next May. Kuban bridgehead here we come!
JagerLeaves

Post by JagerLeaves »

I tried to set up a unit in my area based on the 101st Jager Division a year or two ago but sadly my efforts came to nothing. I did find a book on the uniform worn by the division in the late war. It was written by an american vet who was part of the army the division surrendered to, i think, it is a thin book with mostly pictures of a guy wearing captured uniforms and equipment, I cant remember much else about it now, I lent it to a friend about a year ago and keep forgetting to get it back. If i get access to a scanner I could try to scan a few pics if they are of any interest to you.

Return to “Units - history and information”