Goralischer Waffen SS Legion - unfinished business

Peiper

Re: Goralischer Waffen SS Legion - unfinished business

Post by Peiper »

Cheers Salacious :D
As i said i have seen the reproduction "Wallonie" insignia before and just assumed it
was either an "unofficial type" or one of those Post-War made up things again, similar
to the "Handschar" cufftitle that was never worn, anyway thanks mate, appreciated.

The white shield is listed in the "Hitlers Samurai" book under "Waffen SS Formation signs"
on page 80-81, it is a "Wallonien" Div variant, where as the "Wallonien-Div" seemed to have
had the "upside down crossed swords" symbol as well.

Regards Peiper :wink:
Last edited by Peiper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

like you've written (I didn't want to confuse you any further), but you are correct about the real strength of the 27th and the 28th division: They never got the real numbers to form a division. Both where divisions only in their name.

I guess we have hijacked the subject of the Goralischer Waffen SS Legion to much now. I've posted some pictures in the Flemish vollunteers section to put more info overthere. Perhaps you want to open a new section for Walloon vollunteers?
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Cheers kamerad :D

Good idea mate!
Back on topic now :lol: :lol:

Good hunting, Peiper.
woodhatcher

Post by woodhatcher »

Salacious Crumb wrote:no, the Walloons wore the Wollonien cuffband, trust me I've got plenty books about Flemish and Walloon collaboration (hey I'm Flemish, why would I buy other?) There are many pictures of Walloons wearing the Wallonien band.

Walloons speak French and didn't join Langemarck.
Flemish speak Flemish, wich is a Dutch dialect and didn't join Wallonie.

Where do you have your information from, if I may ask, because it doesn't make any sense?

The Flemish, where considered Germanic like the Dutch (The Netherlands) that's why they could join the SS-Standarte Nordwest (soon renamed in Westland) of the Wiking division. This was in 1940!
Srr to bump this discussion up,

But what Salacious says is not intirely correct.

There are a lot of Flemish persons that enlisted themselves into the Wallonie.
For example:
Jacques Capelle was an SS-Obersturmführer born in Menen, Belgium. He was a farmer before the war and served in the '5. SS-Freiwilligen-Sturmbrigade "Wallonien"' and in the "28. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "Wallonien"

Kind Regards Vincent
HeinzGR916

Post by HeinzGR916 »

The other "29th" was the Waffen Grenadier division SS RONA. These guys were basically criminals in uniform, a bit like the Dirlwenger. They helped put down the warsaw uprising and in doing so commited some of the worst war crimes against Polish civilians.

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”