Alpini in Russia

Moderator: supermario

panzerschreck

Alpini in Russia

Post by panzerschreck »

Very helpfull pictures.

http://www.ambbrescia.com/gite/2/mostra ... _65mo.html

What is correct by the Zaino , Telo mimetico on the top of the Zaino or under? I see both.

I see also Uniform with 4 ammopounch like WW 1.
supermario

Re: Alpini in Russia

Post by supermario »

Panzer,

When it comes to the Telo tenda mimetico, i think it rather depends on the blanket they were issued. I've seen two sizes. One huge, and one small. I think the Alpini got a larger blanket due to the nature of their work, so had a bigger, chunkier blanket in order to keep warm in inhospitable conditions. It therefore was attached to the top of the zaino, leaving the telo to go underneath. I've seen a comment saying this was impracticle as when it rains, then the blanket would get wet. My reply was that if it rained, then any sensible soldati would wear the telo as a rain cape over his equipment as its designed to do, and keep everything dry!

As for two ammo pouches, officially it was one, but if an individual could get hold of an extra one, then extra ammo could be carried. the Italian soldier was only to aware of the deficiancies of his personal issue, and used anything he could get to supplement this. Like most things, Italian soldiers often went against their archaic regulations, and it was frowned upon by officers but generally tolerated.

Neil

panzerschreck

Re: Alpini in Russia

Post by panzerschreck »

Thank you Super Mario for the information.

Return to “Italian Discussion”