Finnish uniforms

Moderator: Pirkka

Royalecosse

Re: Finnish uniforms

Post by Royalecosse »

:P not to be confused with the great Scottish lion of course! Looking at my buttons, the lion is holding a sword so I think it is still an attempt at the Finnish lion and the design may improve with time. My USA sourced tunic does have the correct buttons but........
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Royalecosse wrote::P not to be confused with the great Scottish lion of course! Looking at my buttons, the lion is holding a sword so I think it is still an attempt at the Finnish lion and the design may improve with time. My USA sourced tunic does have the correct buttons but........
With the USA tunic that would be the only correct thing :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

:oops: my USA tunic is made of wool...another authentic attribute....although much rougher wool than the Chinese tunic!
André

Post by André »

I visited in Milform last month and noticed they are making their own repro M/36 uniforms. The quality of these uniforms is AWESOME... and so is the price as well. 270e / jacket, and they can make it with tailor sizes.
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

it would be useful to see what they are like when available but £35 vs £250 (excl postage) is big difference if Hiki's version only needs some buttons to do the job (but I am still interested in Milform's tunics of course!!)
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Probably should buy one from Milform and send it to Hiki (well, not to him, he's not the one making them actually...) so they could improve :D

The biggest problem with Hiki's uniform is that the collar is too big and not stiff enough. Or rather, it is ok size for earlier models but not stiff enough, which makes it look a bit weird.
André

Post by André »

It would be nice if there's few different manufacturers doing these uniforms. Then we'd get many different hues and a little differences between these uniforms. Realistic!
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Hello guys,
I'm sorry i'm a bit late on the topic, but I just visited the Varustekela website and did not find any finnish ww2 uniform. As they have an english version of the site, I don't think I have missed them.
As Fisto posted that the project was successful a few months ago, I'm wondering: are the uniforms out of stock already?
So presently the only solution is Hiki for the winter uniforms?
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Varusteleka doesn't sell them currently. Hopefully at some point this year..
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Thanks for the answer.
So well I guess I will not purchase the Hiki uniform and wait for the ones of your project...
corkfenian

Post by corkfenian »

I acquired a set of the HIKI uniform, and it appears to be identical to the prototype in the photos posted much earlier . . down to the post-war Dutch buttons; and they are indeed post-WWII buttons. I do 1940 Dutch and thought I could use them, but . . . I digress. I replaced them with originals obtained off eBay.

I found HIKI's uniform (whether they make it or not) to have a "stiff" collar . . . enough I suppose, as compared to other uniforms of similar wool style. My color is a lot less blue-looking than the previously posted photo, albeit with a distinct blue caste to the grey . . . which I understand to be true (and within the realm of shades produced).

I obtained a well-made field cap off eBay from (supposedly) a film project in finland, although it has modern grey plastic buttons to be replaced. I'm definately game for not only a fur hat, but winter coat, and summer tunic to better complete the impression. Hopefully some of these other developing sources will enable such to be accomplished . . . then maybe I can find like-minded people in the Mid-Atlantic!

Mark
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Yeah Hiki is selling the same uniforms we had manufactured. The thing is, he isn't the manufacturer so I don't know how he gets them :D

We are working on getting them to be sold in a proper store + we are working to get a number of different uniforms availeble too (+ improve the M36 even further).
Pies

Post by Pies »

Milform also stocks large sizes of postwar greatcoats, the only difference is that they're a bit shorter and sometimes have plastic buttons (just don't get a model 65, though. It's different).
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Peter Bauer wrote:We are working on getting them to be sold in a proper store + we are working to get a number of different uniforms availeble too (+ improve the M36 even further).
Are you still planning to work with Varustekela or you have another store in mind? No idea of the time needed to reach an agreement, I suppose?
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

With Varusteleka :)
No idea, hopefully we'll get a conclusion this month :)

Return to “Finnish Discussion”