Drop container axle fixing.

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Westerwald

Drop container axle fixing.

Post by Westerwald »

Guys

I'm just about to start building a drop container to complement my FJ impression.

Does anyone know how the axles secured to the container?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve
paulmfjr2

Re: Drop container axle fixing.

Post by paulmfjr2 »

The part of the axle that went into the container was hexagonal and was secured by a sprung stud that was recessed in the axle. This stud extended when the axle was pushed into the socket far enough and then pushed up through a hole in the container. When taking the axle out the stud could be accessed from the inside of the container, it was pushed down and the axle could then be pulled out.

http://www.fallschirmjager.net/Vehicles ... 029612.jpg
Westerwald

Post by Westerwald »

paulmfjr2 wrote:The part of the axle that went into the container was hexagonal and was secured by a sprung stud that was recessed in the axle. This stud extended when the axle was pushed into the socket far enough and then pushed up through a hole in the container. When taking the axle out the stud could be accessed from the inside of the container, it was pushed down and the axle could then be pulled out.

http://www.fallschirmjager.net/Vehicles ... 029612.jpg
Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I'd had a look at that blueprint before. There's no way I'll be able to recreate that so will need to come up with some other way. :?
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Try box tubing with a securing pin.
Westerwald

Post by Westerwald »

paulmfjr2 wrote:Try box tubing with a securing pin.
That sounds like a good idea Paul. I think I'll take your advice on that. Thanks!

Steve
scrann

Post by scrann »

like he said ,, for the two i built , 1x1 steel box section for the axle , then i fitted a 30mm box section inside the can , slides right in
Attachments
10172771_10152111242907749_1200897055771779188_n.jpg
10172771_10152111242907749_1200897055771779188_n.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 6953 times
Westerwald

Post by Westerwald »

scrann wrote:like he said ,, for the two i built , 1x1 steel box section for the axle , then i fitted a 30mm box section inside the can , slides right in
That looks bloody brilliant mate. :o

I've seen this pic before but not in that clarity. My container will be this type but made out of wood. I know the wood ones didn't come with wheels but I'm gonna try and make it as near to the metal ones as possible.

As I'm a one man band doing small events I need it to drag my kit around.

The metal one was never an option as I've never done steel fabrication or welding and this is not the type of thing to start learning on! At the moment I'm struggling to find someone to do the axles and towing handle as I don't know anyone with these skills and am concerned that a business will charge me a small fortune. :roll:

Steve

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”