Red Orchestra 2

Ernst

Red Orchestra 2

Post by Ernst »

Here is the link to the website for RO2:Heroes of Stalingrad.

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

Ernst
42gunner

Re: Red Orchestra 2

Post by 42gunner »

Cannot wait, RO-OST is still my most played game. Historical accuracy and realism, cant beat it.
There better be non-Stalingrad maps and weapons for multiplayer. 1942 isnt my favorite year, too much bolt action, not enough SMGs
rednas

Post by rednas »

42gunner wrote:Cannot wait, RO-OST is still my most played game. Historical accuracy and realism, cant beat it.
There better be non-Stalingrad maps and weapons for multiplayer. 1942 isnt my favorite year, too much bolt action, not enough SMGs
Thats the good thing about RO, less spray and pray weapons.
Jugend Repper

Post by Jugend Repper »

just a shame it isnt for Xbox 360 i think :roll:
Wenn ich dumm bin, lassen sie's micht entgelten;
wenn ich recht hab, wollen sie mich schelten. Goethe
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Looks disapointing. I thought the whole point of bringing out a new(er) version was to improve upon the previous? Dont get me wrong I love RO, but wheres the insentive to purchase the new one? Am I supposed to purchase it purely on the fact that A) its new and B) its got some better bloom FX?
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

Well, atleast I am waiting for the German gampaign + coop gampaign on it, rare thing on FPS games.
Ernst

Post by Ernst »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:Looks disapointing. I thought the whole point of bringing out a new(er) version was to improve upon the previous? Dont get me wrong I love RO, but wheres the insentive to purchase the new one? Am I supposed to purchase it purely on the fact that A) its new and B) its got some better bloom FX?
Well I think there’s a little more to it than that (mantling, adjustable sights, bullet penetration and generally much better ballistics that RO:Ost). Those things will all help to give more immersive feel. But it's still early days, we will just have to keep our ears to ground. I am trying to remain optimistic anyway.

Regards
Ernst
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Its all nice and all but it better not be 1942-43's technology.
1943 is the year things started getting interesting.
I dont want to have to rely on just MP40s and Panzer IIIs and IVs
Pies

Post by Pies »

I actually like the idea of mid-war weaponry :wink: Though i really didn't enjoy many of the urban maps in RO, they were often too crowded and even too deadly in my opinion, with often little change for survival with grenades flying everywhere, though im sure they balance things better for urban combat this time. But really, in many ways the urban maps in the original didn't feel that real compared to likes of CoD, as it was still guys running around the place firing and throwing grenades everywhere, even with all the realistic details :) I also wish this would come for Xbox.
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

If you play Danzig alot you'll become more battle-wise and you'll learn what not to do.
To the point where you can get 10 kill streaks easily.
You just gotta learn when to be stubborn and when to pull back in a CQB enviroment.
From one hallway you can get 3-4 kills before the whole team figures out youre blocking their flank. What I do then is either pull back or advance (cat and mouse) they'll have their guard down if you hit them where they previously felt safe.
You cant be predictable and consistent in your attack routes.

Gotta keep them guessing
picking up their weapons adds to the confusion and if they hear a PPSH being fired all around them they wont be alarmed that much

Smolensk stalemate is one of the worst open/infantry maps ever. Basovka is sometimes fun but is often just an hour of running forward into Russian artillery.
Zhitomir is overrated

What we need is more combined arms. Mortars and howitzers that can be manned. On the Arad servers there's often a PAK40 mounted on a halftrack, that would work wonders on maps like Basovka, Smolensk or Zhitomir.
I strongly believe that mortars will require strong cooperation (between the spotter and gunner) The more you tie in the riflemen into the bigger picture, where they have to support the bigger guns and automatic weapons, the more sense the game will make.
You wont have riflemen running around like chickens with their heads cut off with no objective, if the Russian team has a well zeroed mortar.
Some of the best maps I've ever played had the most static cannons. Like one of the Omaha maps, that had PAK43s on both flanks. Some maps had a PAK on every fallback position.
Pies

Post by Pies »

Have to admit I have never tried playing Danzig that tactically, gotta give it a try, thank for the advice :) That map and the one with a large open plaza and buildings around it, forgot the name, have given me aversion to CQC maps, mostly because theyre so overplayed :)

Agreed on the combined arms things, I like them best too. Usable artillery pieces are also very nice. Basovka can be really boring, though occasionally playing as Russian, or when the battle reaches the trenches or the station, can make a fun game.

I once played an excellent combined arms Berlin map, which had soviet armour advancing along the large roads, Infantry having to clear the flanks where germans where making ambushes from the buildings. It wasn't Parisier Platz (also a good map), does anyone happen to know the name?
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Agreed,

Koitosk had a plaza....there's another one I cant remember. But at Koitosk, even the riflemen can get a decent amount of kills and bayonet ones too.

There's so many approaches to Arad real forest maps. There's a cool little pass through the woods on the far right.....I always sneak my PAK40 halftrack through there and usually destroy 2-3 T-34s.

The game makers probably had alot of tough choices to make. Like planting mines which doesnt coincide with offensive warfare, so for that reason mines were probably omitted from the game. If tanks were armed with smoke grenade launchers (on the sides of the turret) like the real ones, they could use those to get out of tight spots, or if someone tries calling artillery on them. But that's kinda like jumping out of a tank right before the killing shell hits it.

I know that in RO2, the tank commander will have an MG34 in the cupola, halftracks should have a rear MG too....especially the PAK40 halftracks. Anyways, if the tank cmdr is able to use his MP40 or throw grenades out of a moving tank that'll be pretty cool.
rednas

Post by rednas »

42gunner wrote:On the Arad servers there's often a PAK40 mounted on a halftrack
These were only build from december 1944 onwards, so not suitable on most maps.
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

New-ish screenshots and music sample for those still interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be9pRY-PiZA
It is only a problem if you make it a problem

Member of the Dutch 116th Panzer Division 'Der Windhund' group
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

There is a trade-off here. Yeah they're gonna make a single player from the German perspective. But more and more I see them trying to focus on Stalingrad so the game can have 0% in relation to the SS or anything political.

Atleast they wont politically sanitize everything like the Brothers In Arms series and the eagle patches without a Swastika.

Still, I see it as a narrowed look at one collosal front.

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”